COOL ain't coming back

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave said:
Labeling does work. For years chicken grown in Washington state was label as Washington grown. It out sold in both price and volume "southern grown" chicken. The same concept would work for beef grown in the USA. One of the problem is you take a look at the resume of the administrator types at NCBA. There is a revolving door they go through, USDA, big beef corporations, and the NCBA. They generally have worked for the other two and when they leave they will switch to one of the others. That is pushed off as they have "contacts." They certainly do. But who are those contacts working for?

So you think the NCBA is self serving, and at the real cattleman's expense.

I just looked it up. NCBA took in almost $34 million in 2018.

https://www.drivingdemandforbeef.com/_includes/flipbook/annual-report-2018/?page=1

Maybe I overlooked it in this thread but I didn't see it discussed. Lots of folks seem to think it's pretty simple to throw a label on something but it isn't necessarily. How are you defining US beef? I can sure understand wanting a label on a piece of meat that came into the US in a package ready for sale to be labelled with country of origin. In fact it bothers me to hear that the "Product of Canada" label is replaced with a USDA label. At least that's what I understand happens.
But if you buy a feeder from me in Canada, and feed and process it in the US then that piece of beef is now a product of the USA. That's how all industry works. I would not want "product of Canada" on a food item last processed by a foreign country.
If I buy oranges from California and bring them to Canada and turn them into orange juice and ship it back to you full of contaminates I'd bet the good folks south of the line would be right to consider that a product of Canada and take appropriate action.
Or what if the calf was born in the US, fed in Canada, slaughtered and processed in the US?
Point is it's just not that simple, except in the case of finished product entering the US. Then I can agree 100 percent.

I'd be okay with just labeling where it was processed, for a start, and work up from there.
Brazil ships a lot of boxed beef into the US, and it would be nice to know which is which.
They label produce all the time, yet the produce market is still going strong.

sim.-ang.king said:
I'd be okay with just labeling where it was processed, for a start, and work up from there.
Brazil ships a lot of boxed beef into the US, and it would be nice to know which is which.

I would prefer beef raised in the United States any day over "rainforest cattle"

Clearing rainforest to raise beef cattle so they can be shipped to the United States for cheap protein is stupid, I would call it ignorant, but it's not, it's stupid.

We have capacity here in the U.S. for more beef production yet we import inferior beef??? We have dairy operations that are being shuttered, why not turn them into beef? The U.S. subsidizes other industry's, why not give the dairy farmers what they need to convert?

It's probably futile to even discuss this issue, but importing beef of highly questionable background that is in direct competition to U.S. producers doesn't make any sense to me.

Silver said:
Maybe I overlooked it in this thread but I didn't see it discussed. Lots of folks seem to think it's pretty simple to throw a label on something but it isn't necessarily. How are you defining US beef? I can sure understand wanting a label on a piece of meat that came into the US in a package ready for sale to be labelled with country of origin. In fact it bothers me to hear that the "Product of Canada" label is replaced with a USDA label. At least that's what I understand happens.
But if you buy a feeder from me in Canada, and feed and process it in the US then that piece of beef is now a product of the USA. That's how all industry works. I would not want "product of Canada" on a food item last processed by a foreign country.
If I buy oranges from California and bring them to Canada and turn them into orange juice and ship it back to you full of contaminates I'd bet the good folks south of the line would be right to consider that a product of Canada and take appropriate action.
Or what if the calf was born in the US, fed in Canada, slaughtered and processed in the US?
Point is it's just not that simple, except in the case of finished product entering the US. Then I can agree 100 percent.

A good first step would be to label that feeder when finished and processed in the US as "US BEEF"

sim.-ang.king said:

Sides coming from Brazil, or anywhere, into the US for processing can be labeled as US BEEF. I think that is wrong.

HDRider said:
sim.-ang.king said:

Sides coming from Brazil, or anywhere, into the US for processing can be labeled as US BEEF. I think that is wrong.

I don't thing it's necessarily wrong, but it's not necessarily right either. Remember, it last underwent significant change in the US.
Seems to me when COOL was first in place plants had the option of labeling beef as either Product of USA or Product of Can Mex USA (something like that). People had the choice to hunt down product that said Product of USA at the exclusion of others. They didn't. Plants found it onerous and expensive to sort the cattle and label accordingly, so tended to put the catch all label on. I would have thought if there were a demonstrated demand in a capitalist world that this would have fixed itself. IE independent labels and such.

Yep.....even when it was labeled, the label didn't tell the whole story, and probably couldn't.
But still, a no labeling policy at all is not what the public wants, even if they (the American consumer) buys by price point versus CoO.

I do see in one of our local stores, signs along the meat case saying "Whole beef cuts are product of USA" and "Whole pork cuts are product of USA". But as Silver points out......that may or may not mean exactly what it says.

(yall can come get Justine Beepber and Celine Dion back for sure)

https://www.agweb.com/assets/1/19/bt_japan_beef_export.jpg?1850601

Seems the check off is ok with labeling US beef, as long as it's sold in Japan.
Funny they don't cry much when it comes to labeling meat for export, or forcing Eid and block chain on US beef producers.

Being landlocked fresh seafood is not a choice.

My wife brought home frozen shrimp labeled from Louisiana. She said, and I quote, "I wasn't going to buy shrimp from India!"

It matters.

TUESDAY, MARCH 26, 2019

USDA ARS 2018 USAHA RESOLUTIONS TWO PRONGED APPROACH NEEDED FOR ADVANCING CATTLE TRACEABILITY

https://naiscoolyes.blogspot.com/2019/03/usda-ars-2018-usaha-resolutions-two.html

TUESDAY, MARCH 26, 2019

Joint Statement from President Donald J. Trump USA and President Jair Bolsonaro Brazil FOREIGN POLICY BSE TSE Prion aka mad cow disease

https://bseusa.blogspot.com/2019/03/joint-statement-from-president-donald-j.html

HDRider said:

My wife brought home frozen shrimp labeled from Louisiana. She said, and I quote, "I wasn't going to buy shrimp from India!"

It matters.
I was on a Farm road East of Winnie Tx and I stopped at a roadside truck with a hand painted sign proclaiming "Fresh Shrimp!", selling out of 48qt igloo coolers. Didin't look good and smelled a bit rank.
Truck had Wisconsin lic plates and I passed on the shrimp.
I have bought "fresh gulf shrimp' twice... out of our regional store called H-E-B and both times, they had a distinctive iodine smell to them.

greybeard said:
HDRider said:

It matters.
I was on a Farm road East of Winnie Tx and I stopped at a roadside truck with a hand painted sign proclaiming "Fresh Shrimp!", selling out of 48qt igloo coolers. Didin't look good and smelled a bit rank.
Truck had Wisconsin lic plates and I passed on the shrimp.
I have bought "fresh gulf shrimp' twice... out of our regional store called H-E-B and both times, they had a distinctive iodine smell to them.

Greybeard, my rule is, if it smells like fish I don't eat it.

Importers pay $1‐per‐head equivalent on all live cattle, beef and beef products imported to the U.S., adding an average of $7.4 million per year to the Beef Checkoff budget between fiscal years 2015-2017 according to Cattlemen's Beef Board (CBB).

The U.S. is the largest beef importing country according to data from FAS/USDA.

https://www.drivingdemandforbeef.com/understanding-value-beef-imports

There are cattle production systems in other parts of the world where lean beef can be, and should be, produced as a primary product. Over time, it makes sense for the U.S. to import more of its lean beef while selling more high-value fed beef, both domestically and in the export market.

Considering the entire picture, including the value of all the U.S.-grown beef that goes into the ground beef supply, imported lean beef actually enhances the value of the beef market. In addition, importing lean beef helps beef farmers and ranchers to maximize their competitive advantage of beef production.

Bunch of lies, thanks for all you do NCBA. The NCBA is thanking the importers for the $7.4 Million Beef Checkoff Dollars at the expense of the US cattlemen.

Latest posts