COOL ain't coming back

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider said:
We do not need a law for COOL. We can have our WTO and eat it too.

CAB is not a law. It has been very successful. If we as producers push the NCBA and all got behind labeling US Beef as US BEEF it could happen.

I may be mistaken, and if I am please feel free to correct me, but as long as there is big lobby money involved, U.S. producers don't stand a chance.

Do you really think everyone is excited about paying more for beef in the U.S.?

Big corporations like McDonald's, and so on, as well as the grocery chains want U.S. producers to get squat and keep all the profits for themselves. This may sound like a broad brush I'm using, but there is NO LOVE for the producer.

If I could figure out a plan and suggest it to all that would fix this problem, I would.

I would love to see a situation whereby, producer margins were high, and end users margin were low, but Wall Street wouldn't approve of that would they?

There is no way to get everyone on board and demand higher prices, that takes politicians with some backbones representing the group as a whole, sorely missing these days. Producers are FAR TOO fragmented to effect change.

I want representation that says, "you won't be taking advantage of my constituents, who are cattle producers, no matter how much you contribute to my campaign, because I won't sell out my people, for lobby money"

Most cattle producers suffer from the Stockholm syndrome. I for one don't. I will find a market that pays a premium for what I produce, one way or the other, and you all should as well. Otherwise you will remain pawns in the whole process.

True Grit Farms said:
HDRider said:

CAB is not a law. It has been very successful. If we as producers push the NCBA and all got behind labeling US Beef as US BEEF it could happen.

You'd make a good "USBA" United States Beef Association president. Lobbying in DC might be a little time consuming, but I think you'll be really great at it.
My social skills are lacking and my tolerance for SH's is low. I am more a behind the scenes kind of guy.

************* said:
HDRider said:

I may be mistaken, and if I am please feel free to correct me, but as long as there is big lobby money involved, U.S. producers don't stand a chance.

Big corporations like McDonald's, and so on, as well as the grocery chains want U.S. producers to get squat and keep all the profits for themselves. This may sound like a broad brush I'm using, but there is NO LOVE for the producer.

If I could figure out a plan and suggest it to all that would fix this problem, I would.

I would love to see a situation whereby, producer margins were high, and end users margin were low, but Wall Street wouldn't approve of that would they?

There is no way to get everyone on board and demand higher prices, that takes politicians with some backbones representing the group as a whole, sorely missing these days. Producers are FAR TOO fragmented to effect change.

I want representation that says, "you won't be taking advantage of my constituents, who are cattle producers, no matter how much you contribute to my campaign, because I won't sell out my people, for lobby money"

Most cattle producers suffer from the Stockholm syndrome. I for one don't. I will find a market that pays a premium for what I produce, one way or the other, and you all should as well. Otherwise you will remain pawns in the whole process.

The NCBA would fold like a cheap suit if all real producers walked away, especially if we made a big noise in doing so.

McDonald's is free to buy whatever they want. That is the beauty of a free market system.

I want my beef, US Beef, recognized and given every advantage it can get, by being labeled US Beef.

The market has room for US Beef, and beef from anywhere and everywhere on Earth.

We wear uniforms when we play football. Our beef needs a uniform.

M-5 said:
There has to be money in it for retail to get product labeled. Price point is what the majority of consumers look at. It's only been 2 years since the worst economic time since the depression. It will take several more years for the benefit of a booming economy for people to shop on quality basis . Labels cost money and labor to install and promote.

With all due respect, there is a ton of money in the U.S. and the upwardly mobile middle class, and upper class, only want one thing, that which they perceive as the "best"

Take a look at this article, there are going to be at least 10000 millionaires minted soon in San Francisco. That may be a drop in the bucket, but they boost the economy in all directions, everyone will benefit. I assure you they won't be buying cheap meat.

https://read.bi/2VY0esO

You may laugh when I say this, but I was in Lexington the other day, and to my surprise was a 2019 Rolls Royce SUV parked outside an office building. That is about a $400k vehicle. In the same day I saw a Bentley, and several Range Rovers. This was not Beverly Hills, or Palm Beach, this was Lexington, Kentucky!

That tells me that wealth is rising in the cities, and those folks want premium everything, and I'm only too happy to provide it to them.

By the way, I saw at Bluegrass, that fancy black steers, almost 4 weights, brought $190 this week. That's not bad and that's a niche that is making money while others are struggling. Just sayin.... Premium is definitely in demand.

M-5 said:
There has to be money in it for retail to get product labeled. Price point is what the majority of consumers look at. It's only been 2 years since the worst economic time since the depression. It will take several more years for the benefit of a booming economy for people to shop on quality basis . Labels cost money and labor to install and promote.

CAB found it advantageous to label

HDRider said:
************* said:
HDRider said:

The NCBA would fold like a cheap suit if all real producers walked away, especially if we made a big noise in doing so.

McDonald's is free to buy whatever they want. That is the beauty of a free market system.

I want my beef, US Beef, recognized and given every advantage it can get, by being labeled US Beef.

The market has room for US Beef, and beef from anywhere and everywhere on Earth.

We wear uniforms when we play football. Our beef needs a uniform.

If they don't have the best interest of the U.S. producer in mind, let them fold like a cheap suit.

I'm not against free market, and I'm not forcing McDonald's to buy from me. But if people had the choice, I think most would want to buy a guaranteed U.S.A product. I think it would be a great marketing pitch from McDonalds. "Our hamburgers are made from 100% USDA choice, born and raised in United States"

You will never hear them say "Our burgers are 100% Zebu raised in God knows where Brazil, processed in China, yada yada yada" People would say "WTF?" Same goes for Five Guys and other chains.

They want people in the dark, because it makes for great margins on those quarterly earnings reports.

You would be surprised, McDonalds and other producers, I guarantee you, have at least someone in their organization reading our banter and are getting feedback from it. More people watch this forum than you may think.

I am saying flat out that the NCBA appears to NOT have the best interest of US beef producers in mind.

************* said:
M-5 said:

With all due respect, there is a ton of money in the U.S. and the upwardly mobile middle class, and upper class, only want one thing, that which they perceive as the "best"

Take a look at this article, there are going to be at least 10000 millionaires minted soon in San Francisco. That may be a drop in the bucket, but they boost the economy in all directions, everyone will benefit. I assure you they won't be buying cheap meat.

You may laugh when I say this, but I was in Lexington the other day, and to my surprise was a 2019 Rolls Royce SUV parked outside an office building. That is about a $400k vehicle. In the same day I saw a Bentley, and several Range Rovers. This was not Beverly Hills, or Palm Beach, this was Lexington, Kentucky!

That tells me that wealth is rising in the cities, and those folks want premium everything, and I'm only too happy to provide it to them.

By the way, I saw at Bluegrass, that fancy black steers, almost 4 weights, brought $190 this week. That's not bad and that's a niche that is making money while others are struggling. Just sayin.... Premium is definitely in demand.
There is money in the market place but you fail to comprehend that percentage wise there are far more people in plain ole middle class and a heII of alot more in lower class that depend on cheap protein to survive. To poor a little more salt on the stump where your head used to be those millionaires and upper middle class are 10 times more likely to be vegans and If they are not they can afford to buy the label that says certified organic and they don't give a shyt if it was produced in Greenland as long as it tells them the info that they want to hear.

We ask for and buy US beef only, but if it's not CAB how do you really know what your actually buying? Just because something was processed in the US doesn't make it a product of the US, this is what is really hurting US beef producers.
Quality sells, http://www.mtmeatco.com we buy all our beef and the majority of our meat at M&T Meats. Everything they sell is produced in the US of A. M&T meats charges a premium for quality and does over $2.5 million in yearly sales. I've never seen a Bentley or Rolls Royce in their parking lot.

M-5 said:
************* said:
M-5 said:

There is money in the market place but you fail to comprehend that percentage wise there are far more people in plain ole middle class and a heII of alot more in lower class that depend on cheap protein to survive. To poor a little more salt on the stump where your head used to be those millionaires and upper middle class are 10 times more likely to be vegans and If they are not they can afford to buy the label that says certified organic and they don't give a shyt if it was produced in Greenland as long as it tells them the info that they want to hear.

If that is the case then why do places like Smith and Wollensky, Peter Luger's, and Morton's exist?

Jeff Ruby's is building a mind blowing steak house in Lexington Kentucky, vegans aren't holding him back. He's smart, he knows the demographics. He also has hugely successful steak houses in Cincinnati.

Most vegans can't stick to the plan, even Whole Foods has a commercial about vegans that give into meat. They are no threat.

http://bit.ly/2CrCaat

I don't eat like that often, but many do. It's easy to think everyone is struggling, I sometimes fall into that trap as I drive around where I live, but many are doing just fine across the U.S. with plenty of money to spend. Why wouldn't you want to focus on that market? If I have the choice of making more or less, I will go with more.

Take a look at luxury goods purveyors or luxury cars, they actually did well during the financial crisis in 2008, while places like Sears and Kmart were decimated.

If you are a producer that can produce a high end product, protect that, and expand upon it, the market is strong.

44 Farms knows this well.

True Grit Farms said:
We ask for and buy US beef only, but if it's not CAB how do you really know what your actually buying? Just because something was processed in the US doesn't make it a product of the US, this is what is really hurting US beef producers.
Quality sells, http://www.mtmeatco.com we buy all our beef and the majority of our meat at M&T Meats. Everything they sell is produced in the US of A. M&T meats charges a premium for quality and does over $2.5 million in yearly sales. I've never seen a Bentley or Rolls Royce in their parking lot.

Just want you to know, I don't own a Rolls Royce.

But, if I could swing it, I would buy one, heck I would feed with it, and put it on YouTube.

Imagine using a Rolls to drag a chain harrow and break up manure in the fields? That would blow up YouTube right? LOL!

It's just a machine, nothing more. But it shows the power of branding.

@Branded , what you fail to comprehend is there are far more lower class people that can not afford the places you mention. I have eaten at high end steak houses In my travels and a little out of the way place in South ga has them all beat hands down. There is a market for steaks but their is a bigger and more profitable market for the rest of the beef. And I would bet that 95% of the population could not tell the difference in select vs prime.

HDRider said:
M-5 said:

I wonder how many labels the millions taken in every year through the checkoff, could buy?

sim.-ang.king said:
HDRider said:
M-5 said:

I wonder how many labels the millions taken in every year through the checkoff, could buy?
Exactly.

I wonder how much comes in thru that?

sim.-ang.king said:
HDRider said:
M-5 said:

You also have to pay the supermarket employee to install them . Produce has to be labeled in the boxes and on the shelf on country of origin. If it's not the inspector writes up the store. It's a PIA to keep up with.

M-5 said:
sim.-ang.king said:
HDRider said:

You also have to pay the supermarket employee to install them . Produce has to be labeled in the boxes and on the shelf on country of origin. If it's not the inspector writes up the store. It's a PIA to keep up with.
Don't be so negative.

M-5 said:
@Branded , what you fail to comprehend is there are far more lower class people that can not afford the places you mention. I have eaten at high end steak houses In my travels and a little out of the way place in South ga has them all beat hands down. There is a market for steaks but their is a bigger and more profitable market for the rest of the beef. And I would bet that 95% of the population could not tell the difference in select vs prime.

And 95% don't know how to cook a steak either. E.coli in under cooked imported hamburger has ruined a many a steak.

HDRider said:
M-5 said:
sim.-ang.king said:
Don't be so negative.

Just saying it is not as simple as people think. one little sticker on millions of packages takes labor and oversight which equals Dollars. I wish it were mandatory but it's not conducive to cheap product which is what the consumer wants

$1 of beef checkoff dollars to print the labels
$1 of beef checkoff dollars to pay a lackey to put the sticker on.
Seems we are already paying for the labeling, but it's going towards lining the pockets of the NCBA Elites.

The sad part is AAA, Wendy's and Culvers has invested more in marketing US beef than the Beef Checkoff or NCBA has.

Latest posts