cooking pork chops

Help Support CattleToday:

In our camp, the simpler food is to prepare, the better. We like to spend time visiting rather than cooking. One of our favorite fireside meals is grilled pork chops. We buy a full pork loin when its on sale much cheaper than pork chops, slice it into boneless chops between 3/4-1 thick and separate them into quart ziplocs with two or three nice, thick chops in each bag. I add half a bottle of 30 minute marinade to each bag. Pick one you like. I find the garlic balsamic works really well with pork. The vinegar int he marinade makes the pork very tender and the garlic...well, its garlic You cant go wrong with garlic Seal them up and freeze the works.

When we pack for camping, the frozen pork chops go in the top of the cooler. Take them out of the cooler late morning and let them thaw. By the time they thaw, the marinade will have done its thing. I grill them for 8-12 minutes depending on the fire, and put em on a plate

The best part is that theres really no cleanup. Dispose of the ziploc bag and brush off the grill.

HDRider":1drlj0cc said:
I always heard you were supposed fully cook pork.

Fully cooking pork was because of Trichinosis, which at one point in time was the way they "thought" to prevent it. But they were wrong, and Trichinosis has been pretty much eliminated. On any menu I write, pork is default served "mid rare" according to the health dept. But it's one more battle I have with the health dept. as I feel their temps for pork are antiquated and based off beef steak temps instead of treating it like it's own animal. And that's because of ground pork.

And I will on occasion eat bacon raw because it's been cured, but it's a bad habit I picked up in culinary school.

warped04":13ft9v8s said:
HDRider":13ft9v8s said:
I always heard you were supposed fully cook pork.

Fully cooking pork was because of Trichinosis, which at one point in time was the way they "thought" to prevent it. But they were wrong, and Trichinosis has been pretty much eliminated. On any menu I write, pork is default served "mid rare" according to the health dept. But it's one more battle I have with the health dept. as I feel their temps for pork are antiquated and based off beef steak temps instead of treating it like it's own animal. And that's because of ground pork.

And I will on occasion eat bacon raw because it's been cured, but it's a bad habit I picked up in culinary school.

You sound like me Warped. :nod:

warped04":2a2q9nkq said:
Jogeephus":2a2q9nkq said:
You sound like me Warped. :nod:

Fighting with the health dept or bad habits from culinary school? :lol:

Little of both I guess but I'm regulated by the USDA rather than health department. Same tree just a different monkey. :lol2:

I won't mention what I cook my chicken to. ;-)

Grill them on one side, flip them and coat with apple butter, when almost done melt pepper jack cheese on top. They are fantastic and you can cook them to your desired doneness! Not pork but basting bacon wrapped scallops with apple butter when you grill them is also great!

SmokinM":cde6kabw said:
Grill them on one side, flip them and coat with apple butter, when almost done melt pepper jack cheese on top. They are fantastic and you can cook them to your desired doneness! Not pork but basting bacon wrapped scallops with apple butter when you grill them is also great!

SmokinM I do something very similar I coat both sides with apple butter wrap in foil throw on medium heat for about 5 to 6 minutes the pull from foil and give a quick sear to each side. Thought I was the only one with this idea haha

They are pretty darn good that way. Also like them with a spicy mango chutney. Pork is perfect for a little sweet heat.

SmokinM":1osc8x1p said:
They are pretty darn good that way. Also like them with a spicy mango chutney. Pork is perfect for a little sweet heat.

Those both sound interesting will have to try it.

Latest posts