cooking pork chops

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":hfebsc79 said:
Pork cooked well done is garbage and hardly worth feeding to the dogs. A thin chop fried quickly is hard to beat. And frying a thin chop is quick and easy, when you see blood turn the chop over count to 30 slowly and pull the chop out of the grease. Pork and venison need to be cooked in the same manner.

So grit do you have a recipe for a good southern fried pork chop? What kind of chops work best (loin, center cut etc)? Pound em thin? Egg wash, buttermilk, what do ya use?

NECowboy":3gre2lyc said:
Try spaghetti sauce with half ground beef half ground pork it rocks. Adds a richness from ground pork meat. I guess I also put a little red wine in my spaghetti sauce too and drink the rest! ;-)
and being from the South, a pinch of sugar doesn't hurt either...

Alan":2y08otsy said:
Pork is another favorite go to. One of my favorite winter meals is 3/4" chop, breaded and fried in oil with mashed taters and country gravy. I will eat that until I'm in terrible pain.

Shocked Alan that you would eat anything other than Mexican food and ducks! :lol2:

TN Cattle Man":2ouo83mw said:
NECowboy":2ouo83mw said:
Try spaghetti sauce with half ground beef half ground pork it rocks. Adds a richness from ground pork meat. I guess I also put a little red wine in my spaghetti sauce too and drink the rest! ;-)
and being from the South, a pinch of sugar doesn't hurt either...

Yeah that wasn't a full recipe by all means but I like to balance out the acidity with brown sugar in mine.

NECowboy":33o4gqcf said:
Alan":33o4gqcf said:
Pork is another favorite go to. One of my favorite winter meals is 3/4" chop, breaded and fried in oil with mashed taters and country gravy. I will eat that until I'm in terrible pain.

Shocked Alan that you would eat anything other than Mexican food and ducks! :lol2:

Actually I'm spear heading a petition to make it illegal to hunt ducks in Oregon. But Huskies, beavers, Cougars, Wildcats, Bears are open game year around. Still trying to figure out what a sun devil is as well a tying to figure out why Cardinal is a color and not a bird to hunt. Oh and "Trojans" are illegal in this state and punishable with extended child support to the state.

Margonme":s6f95c64 said:
Rafter S":s6f95c64 said:
Margonme":s6f95c64 said:
Yes. I learned the recipe on Outdoors Montana. Out west, I could get Anasazi Beans. They are a variety of pinto.

I don't care if they come from Mars. Beans don't belong in chili. The only vegetables that do are tomatos, onions, garlic, and peppers. :banana:

I am obviously no chili expert. Does anyone put beans in chili?
im with jmj i've never had chili without beans (i thought it had to have beans to be chili)

me and one of my brothers ate a bunch of raw pork once by accident (i know how do you eat raw pork and not know? we were hungry i guess!) he got sick (nothing serious) but i was completely fine

Alan":1nvfoexj said:
NECowboy":1nvfoexj said:
Alan":1nvfoexj said:

Actually I'm spear heading a petition to make it illegal to hunt ducks in Oregon. But Huskies, beavers, Cougars, Wildcats, Bears are open game year around. Still trying to figure out what a sun devil is as well a tying to figure out why Cardinal is a color and not a bird to hunt. Oh and "Trojans" are illegal in this state and punishable with extended child support to the state.

Don't know half those teams sorry. I know Trojans is the university of spoiled children.

NECowboy":acl4ie82 said:
True Grit Farms":acl4ie82 said:
Pork cooked well done is garbage and hardly worth feeding to the dogs. A thin chop fried quickly is hard to beat. And frying a thin chop is quick and easy, when you see blood turn the chop over count to 30 slowly and pull the chop out of the grease. Pork and venison need to be cooked in the same manner.

So grit do you have a recipe for a good southern fried pork chop? What kind of chops work best (loin, center cut etc)? Pound em thin? Egg wash, buttermilk, what do ya use?

I'm not picky what ever is on sale is what we buy. I soak the chops in milk then just put in a bag with flour with a good dose of Tony Chachere's creole spices and pepper and shake it. Over cooking meat and seafood is most folks problem.

True Grit Farms":1sxg18ly said:
NECowboy":1sxg18ly said:
True Grit Farms":1sxg18ly said:

I'm not picky what ever is on sale is what we buy. I soak the chops in milk then just put in a bag with flour with a good dose of Tony Chachere's creole spices and pepper and shake it. Over cooking meat and seafood is most folks problem.

I like this stuff. Sounds awesome. Next time you make post a pic. Thanks grit.

ez14":2uc0f4l5 said:
Margonme":2uc0f4l5 said:
Rafter S":2uc0f4l5 said:
I don't care if they come from Mars. Beans don't belong in chili. The only vegetables that do are tomatos, onions, garlic, and peppers. :banana:

im with jmj i've never had chili without beans (i thought it had to have beans to be chili)

me and one of my brothers ate a bunch of raw pork once by accident (i know how do you eat raw pork and not know? we were hungry i guess!) he got sick (nothing serious) but i was completely fine

Rafters right . in fact I think it's against the law to call it chili once you put beans in it . you can call it chili with beans but not just chili. Not a serious crime just a ticket I think... ;-)

callmefence":3dslyxc3 said:
ez14":3dslyxc3 said:
Margonme":3dslyxc3 said:

Rafters right . in fact I think it's against the law to call it chili once you put beans in it . you can call it chili with beans but not just chili. Not a serious crime just a ticket I think... ;-)

Here on the Bright Raven Simmental Farm the Prince has issued a standing Pardon for putting beans in your chili.

:banana:

That's a banana pepper!

Beans on the side--if at all--pintos. And no, there ain't no such thing as chili beans--they're like unicorns, flyin cars and honest politicians. A few Springs ago, I actually heard a young guy with a furrin accent come in and ask the girl at the feed store for some chili beans to plant. I think maybe he was from Neptune or Pluto. :bang: :bang: I grabbed my stuff off the counter and left before the laughter started. Moron.

We buy boneless whole loins most of the time, chill it in the freezer till almost frozen then slice it into pork steaks. Not near as flavorful as some of the usual chops, but I'm not supposed to eat much fat.
Count me in that bunch that says pork and poultry has to be cooked thru well, but not dried out and burned. My wife is still of the old belief that apples or applesauce should be served with any pork. I can't stand to see or taste any blood in fried chicken.

callmefence":3h3hfjdj said:
ez14":3h3hfjdj said:
Margonme":3h3hfjdj said:

No, it's a serious offense.

greybeard":2igueilk said:
Beans on the side--if at all--pintos. And no, there ain't no such thing as chili beans--they're like unicorns, flyin cars and honest politicians.

GB, I surrender on the practice of putting beans in chili. If callmefence says it is not the right thing to do, well, that resolves that!

Lots of folks in this part of the world call kidney beans - chili beans. Including my dear departed MA.

I place into evidence a can of Bush Chili Beans provided by the traveling Baptist Preacher and Bush Bean Salesman, our own Mr. Bigfoot.

2qlbdpc.jpg

Margonme":3q4x0tc5 said:
callmefence":3q4x0tc5 said:
ez14":3q4x0tc5 said:

Here on the Bright Raven Simmental Farm the Prince has issued a standing Pardon for putting beans in your chili.

:banana:

That's a banana pepper!

You can't pardon yourself. I don't think politicians can even do that.

M-5":3vaj1e62 said:
HDRider":3vaj1e62 said:
M-5":3vaj1e62 said:
Since the steak thread keeps me hungry every day. My second favorite is a pork. I like pretty much Like any cut of chop but my favorite is a slice butt grilled to med rare.
I like pork too. Butt is hard to beat.

I always heard you were supposed fully cook pork.

urban legend -- how did folks eat meat before fire .

Hmmm....and life expectancy was what? 35 years or so?

It's not a large window to get a chop done and remain juicy or dry it out because it's over cooked. You can do it. Just as a steak, a chop benifits from a 5 minute rest before cutting. Pull it off the fire just before its done and let it coast into perfection...... :D

Like Greybeard, I usually buy the loin and cut my own too. Vacuume seal and freeze.

Margonme":3ntigp0l said:
I place into evidence a can of Bush Chili Beans provided by the traveling Baptist Preacher and Bush Bean Salesman, our own Mr. Bigfoot.

2qlbdpc.jpg
Kidney beans by any other name are still kidney beans.

Wow you guys are good cooks. When I owned my restaurant we served a lot of pork and were one of the first two restaurants to receive the Illinois Pork Producers Assoc. "Award of Excellence". Our default internal temp was 145 degrees unless customer wanted something different.
Jogeephus got it exactly correct. Pigs (or any other animal for that matter) can only get the worm from eating other infected animals, so a strict vegetarian diet on concrete or pasture is the answer. At home we like about 140 degrees internal temp

Latest posts