Cooking a whole pig

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":26dd88ni said:
To me the worst part of doing a pig is the scalding and scraping. Used to take a lot of beer to get it done. Of course less beer and it might have gotten done faster

I bet if you had kept the beer on ice you could have had it done in about 15 minutes but there is a lot to be said for stretching a job out to allow for ample consumption of cold beverages.

All the wrapping and stuff didn't look too sporty. My uncle used to wrap them in banana leaves and fill with pineapple, oranges and bananas then stitch the cavity shut. They would cover the coals with sand then lay the pig on the sand then bury it for a day. This was incredible but more work than I'm willing to do.

I use a metal smoker. Marinate and inject the pig in mojo sauce for a day for a day or so then smoke slowly belly side down so the skin will serve as a wrapper holding the moisture in place and allowing the back fat to render through the meat. I think its also important to adequately baste the pit tenders with cold beverages like hard lemonade or code red to insure proper hydration.

Finished pig

Guest of honor

I grilled a whole pig in about five hours. Turned out great. I wanted to cook more slowly but was stuck with too small a cooker and too big a pig.

It was good though. First whole pig I ever did. I was happy with the results. Rubbed him good with
shakeon_24oz.jpg
and doused him good with
bottle3.png

Here is what you can buy me for Christmas.
J3-1_op_669x446.jpg

HD, just consider it yours my friend.....just as soon as Dotgov sends me my Obamerphone I'll have it shipped to you.

hooknline":17r2ex16 said:
Get a large pot of water boiling. Put a large towel in. Place on pic for a few seconds. Remove and scrape. Repeat as necessary

Don't even have to dip the whole pig
I know everything is suppose to be bigger in Texas but the ones we have been eating we skin like a deer. The corn must make em easy or something..

BTW mule or donkey (aka Missouri Moose) cooked in the ground is great eating. Prepare it like a beef