Cooking a whole pig

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
My cousin asked me tonight about us doing a pig picking and cooking a whole pig. We want to know what size pig should we use ? how long should we cook it? Should I cook it with just wood or combo of wood and charcoal? We are thinking about doing this for a family get together next year so plenty of time to give me suggestions... I look forward to hearing what yall grill masters out there tell me. I am in the process of making a cooker out of these oil tanks

Big size depends a lot on how many people you plan to feed. Most folks get one in the 125 to 175# range...
How long depends on temperature and size. Get a meat thermometer.

I would say ours will be in that # range.. I have a meat therm I can use but just wondering how long it would take to cook. What temp should the cooker consistantly be cooking at ?

dun that sounds interesting I know hawaiians I believe do that. I always wondered how do they keep dirt off of it and wondered if cooking underground gave it like a dirt smell/flavor kinda thing.

skyhightree1":2r5kio4n said:
dun I just looked this up on youtube I had no idea how to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMmgVRVHN2Y
Very similar except we used old white sheets instead of paper bags then wrapped it in burlap. We also had about 3 foot of rock in the bottom of the pit before burning the wood. I once mentioned that the first time we did it the idiots poured gasoline all over the wood before lighting it. When it "wooshed" it emptied the pit

We didn;t wack it into little chunk like the video, pigs cooked whole, beef we wacked into 6 chunks but everything else was the same.

dun":hdzj1i8u said:
We always used to dig a hole and cook it for 24 hours
We will do one this weekend and we do kinda like dun. Difference is we only use the hams because some like a cured ham, some dont. We also usually put some beef, deer, and whatever we have in it. Takes hours to burn enough coals so we have a great time the night before also. We wrap the meat in cheese cloth and then in aluminum foil. We cover it all with sand and then a piece of metal on top to keep the dirt out. Cover it all with dirt and leave 20-24 hours. Very good.

To me the worst part of doing a pig is the scalding and scraping. Used to take a lot of beer to get it done. Of course less beer and it might have gotten done faster

about 2yrs ago a buddy of mine smoked/BBQ 2 60lb wild pigs.he splitt them in half.an cooked them in the smoker 8 or 10hrs.

Nice CF... Yea, I will stick to the drum cooker. I figure cook it for a while on its open body cavity then turn it over and cook it with bbq sauce and spices inside the cavity.

dun":2bu1fg9w said:
To me the worst part of doing a pig is the scalding and scraping. Used to take a lot of beer to get it done. Of course less beer and it might have gotten done faster
Dun, I seen on a show the other night where they were using a propane torch of some type to burn the hair and then just scraped it while it was hanging. Ever see that done? We have always scalded and scraped them also.

kenny thomas":1yqe6uat said:
dun":1yqe6uat said:
Dun, I seen on a show the other night where they were using a propane torch of some type to burn the hair and then just scraped it while it was hanging. Ever see that done? We have always scalded and scraped them also.
Sounds like the lazy mans way of doing it.

dun":f59gz8zx said:
kenny thomas":f59gz8zx said:
dun":f59gz8zx said:
Sounds like the lazy mans way of doing it.

How the heck would you get that smell out of your nose !! :yuck: :yuck:

Get a large pot of water boiling. Put a large towel in. Place on pic for a few seconds. Remove and scrape. Repeat as necessary

Don't even have to dip the whole pig

hillsdown":sz90j58h said:
[How the heck would you get that smell out of your nose !! :yuck: :yuck:

Have you been around while cleaning a pig thats pretty rank too.. I am not sure which smell is worse lol