Cooking a Roast

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
My family just bought a side of beef from Mid Dakota Meats via Jorgensen Farms that included some roasts. I've heard that since they are particularly lean that they tend to be tough. I read that I should cook it on a rack in the oven for only about an hour or so (it's a 3.3lb. roast.) Can anyone help confirm that or offer any other tips? Thanks!

First off :welcome: , happy to have you here and asking about cooking. While I'm no expert, I have had many farm raised beef roasts and I always like cooking them "low and slow". Most of the time I put it in a crock pot on low for 6 to 8 hours. I'll add potates, carrots, onion and anything else in the pot and enjoy with bread. For me low and slow makes a very tender roast. I'm looking forward to other responses.

:welcome:
Alan

Thanks Alan! I was thinking the same thing, although I don't have a crock pot so I was going to put it in the oven in a dutch oven.

Since I'm not the one who ordered the side of beef and Mid Dakota Meats doesn't label them so I don't have a clue what cut it is at all!

(Thanks for the welcome by the way, glad to be here.)

I hope Jogeephus reads this! I'm looking forward to his suggestion. I do my roasts in the crockpot also, but would like another version. Once recipe I use because the kids love it, and gives it a bit of sweetness: Place 1 (1oz) envelope dry onion soup mix on bottom of crockpot. Place 3 lb roast on top of it. Top with 1 (16 oz) can jellied cranberry sauce. Cover and cook on slow 8 hours or less until done. I know it sounds crazy but it works.

That sounds pretty good actually, and I have all of the ingredients. I think it could work in the Dutch Oven...just wonder on what temp and for how long to cook?

Becky Nebraska":2zh8w8hh said:
That sounds pretty good actually, and I have all of the ingredients. I think it could work in the Dutch Oven...just wonder on what temp and for how long to cook?

Again my novice opinion, I would start it at around 200 to 225 f and check it with a meat thermometer after 5 or 6 :nod: hr. if you need to you can always bump up the heat towards the end. I think a Dutch oven will help it cook very well.

I also like to use onion soup mix, although I sprinkle it over the top of the roast, either way i bet will work. Also I always add a little water in the bottom of the roasting pan or crock pot to help it cook.

I like your method. Adding a little cola works wonders too. Cooking lean beef makes chicken taste good. ;-)

I think what they are trying to say is not to overcook it. If its a lean cut its going to come out like shoe leather if you cook it too long. If you are going to dry roast it then I'd use a meat thermometer and remove it from the heat at 130F and wrap it in foil and let it rest for 20 minutes. This will make it as tender as the cut can be without some doctoring - if its as lean as you say.

Well, thank you all! I think I have a plan now. If this one doesn't work out I have a few more to work with :tiphat:

Becky Nebraska":2qbm0xd6 said:
]My family just bought a side of beef from Mid Dakota Meats via Jorgensen Farms that included some roasts. I've heard that since they are particularly lean that they tend to be tough. I read that I should cook it on a rack in the oven for only about an hour or so (it's a 3.3lb. roast.) Can anyone help confirm that or offer any other tips? Thanks!
Don't know if I missed it.....but just what roasts are we talking about....I'd cook a standing rib roast a whole different way than I would an arm roast or a rump roast.

Assuming you got a bunch of steaks in your half beef, most of your roasts are likely arm and chuck. Both of those cuts will generally look kinda like big, thick steaks. They're cut flat. Those are less tender cuts anyway, and will be best when cooked low, slow and moist.
They need time for the collagen and connective tissue to break down.
Sear them over fairly high heat. I like to do mine on the grill. Then put it in a heavy bottomed pan with about 1 to 1-1/2 cups of liquid. Anything you like work here. Broth, water, tomato sauce, soup. Possibilities are endless. A little bit of acid goes a long way toward tenderizing by cutting the protein strands. Tomatoes, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, etc.
Cover your pan. Cook in the oven at 325 for one hour. Reduce heat to 275 for 2-3 more hours until very tender (3-4 lb roast).

Jogeephus":3bp9jtqf said:
I like your method. Adding a little cola works wonders too. Cooking lean beef makes chicken taste good. ;-)

I think what they are trying to say is not to overcook it. If its a lean cut its going to come out like shoe leather if you cook it too long. If you are going to dry roast it then I'd use a meat thermometer and remove it from the heat at 130F and wrap it in foil and let it rest for 20 minutes. This will make it as tender as the cut can be without some doctoring - if its as lean as you say.

Totally agree with Jo !!!!

Also you may want to use chicken or beef broth in the bottom of the roaster instead of water , and I would sear it first to keep the juices in and help it stay moist and tender .

Some people like to cook lean roasts slow and long right from a frozen state , that way the juices stay in all the way through instead of losing them through the thaw process . This may be another option for you to try .

Latest posts