Mesquite.JPG

and here she is now:
Mesquite.JPG

I will repost the other gutless wonder before & after:
Reward (Macho daughter) at 9 months old:
Reward_rear_side_20.jpg

and now - she is an Oct 1st heifer:
SV_011_pix.jpg

Jeanne, what frame size is the mesquite cow, compared to you she looks extremely tall, I have no idea how tall you are though.

I must say that from the show photo its hard to believe that its actually the same animal, that gives me hope on one or two of mine.

If she raises a good calf and you feel you have to cull her on udder quality, then you must really have a quality herd and very high standards. I could easily overlook that udder.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":30dg49hj said:
Yeah, she was just in an "awkward" stage of life when yearling pic was taken. Had to start a new thread because old one was deleted.

Maybe there is some hope for Jeanne after all.
The other Jeanne. not this one.
dun

Controversial?

Nope.

First of all - show me a herd that does not have a couple of those "I really should get rid of her" animals.

Second - Show me a herd that does not have a few of those "keeping her for the potential that I think I see" animals.

Then finally - good herds usually have people with a little bit of that "good reputation" who do the work and stand behind their animals.

Seems to me that Jeanne - Simme Valley - is likely all of the above.

But best of all she is good people. Someday I am going to drive down and visit her.

Unfortunately she raises those dirty rotten, no good for nothing, fake CAB animals as well as a few decent red ones. I think she is finally seeing the light!! 8)

Perhaps she is going to come around from the dark side yet!

Bez>

Bez - Actually, we have ALWAYS (I mean back in 1972) had black Simmental. Long before they were "popular". We strickly upgraded from commercial everything cows. Some were good bwf and they gave us black 1/2 blood calves.
I love the red ones & I LOVE the spots. BUT - big but here - I can't get $$$$ for them. I breed what is "in fashion" to a degree. I will not sacrafice quality for a fad. They have to be structurally correct, fertile myrtles, with tons of volume and adequate muscling - and look like a female.
Sure would LOVE to have you drive down. We'd even put you up for the night. Is the barn OK?? just kidding :D

Dun is referring to a calf he named "Jeanne". Yes, Dun, I have faith that she will "develop" - after all, she's outta good stock.

Knersie - she's a frame 7 - one of my bigger girls now. After the calf gets her bag sucked down, it's not so bad, but I have to help the calf get on the back ones, which are the "real" producers. He is only sucking one side, born 3/7. More than enough for him.
The show photo was one of those "shoulda thrown away". It was not what she looked like. It amazes me how bad they can look sometimes.
And she will get hung on the rail. I don't ship to the auction or definately won't sell her as a breeder.
Anyway, it was fun. before & after that is.
BTW - I'm 5' 2" - doesn't take much to be taller than me! :p

Jeanne - Simme Valley":aq3mpzhx said:
Bez - Actually, we have ALWAYS (I mean back in 1972) had black Simmental. Long before they were "popular". We strickly upgraded from commercial everything cows. Some were good bwf and they gave us black 1/2 blood calves.
I love the red ones & I LOVE the spots. BUT - big but here - I can't get $$$$ for them. I breed what is "in fashion" to a degree. I will not sacrafice quality for a fad. They have to be structurally correct, fertile myrtles, with tons of volume and adequate muscling - and look like a female.
Sure would LOVE to have you drive down. We'd even put you up for the night. Is the barn OK?? just kidding :D

Dun is referring to a calf he named "Jeanne". Yes, Dun, I have faith that she will "develop" - after all, she's outta good stock.

Knersie - she's a frame 7 - one of my bigger girls now. After the calf gets her bag sucked down, it's not so bad, but I have to help the calf get on the back ones, which are the "real" producers. He is only sucking one side, born 3/7. More than enough for him.
The show photo was one of those "shoulda thrown away". It was not what she looked like. It amazes me how bad they can look sometimes.
And she will get hung on the rail. I don't ship to the auction or definately won't sell her as a breeder.
Anyway, it was fun. before & after that is.
BTW - I'm 5' 2" - doesn't take much to be taller than me! :p

Ok short stuff - I will have you know I slept in a three sided shelter that I penned an animal in - just last weekend - so yup - not a prob. 8)

Give me 4 small square bales some twine to tie them together so I do not slip down between them, a tarp to lay the blankets on - a couple of blankets and I am good to go. Even if the temp drops well below freezing. My feet tend to hang over the end a bit but I manage.

I had a cow that was under the weather so I slept in the pen with her. She is up and out in the field - quite happy and healthy now.

Some day you may be taken up on the offer.

Bez

Jeanne,

If you ever get out Montana way, I will introduce you to my brother and sister-in-law.

He's a shade under 6'6" and she might make 4' 10".

When I first started dating my wife, she invited me to go to her dance class since her partner was out of town. On the way, she started tell me about this funny couple where the guy was really tall and the lady was really short. Now, this was Bozeman, so something like 30,000 people. I didn't know my brother and SIN were in the class but I kept my mouth shut. When we walked in, I just walked over and started talking to them. Of course, my GF was embarassed as heck, but mostly surprised, I had a good idea who she was talking about. :lol:

Badlands

Badlands":3loh7grr said:
Jeanne,

If you ever get out Montana way, I will introduce you to my brother and sister-in-law.

He's a shade under 6'6" and she might make 4' 10".

When I first started dating my wife, she invited me to go to her dance class since her partner was out of town. On the way, she started tell me about this funny couple where the guy was really tall and the lady was really short. Now, this was Bozeman, so something like 30,000 people. I didn't know my brother and SIN were in the class but I kept my mouth shut. When we walked in, I just walked over and started talking to them. Of course, my GF was embarassed as heck, but mostly surprised, I had a good idea who she was talking about. :lol:

Badlands

But Jeanne doesn't have to go all the way to MT to meet you, does she?

Frankie":4jo7vkvg said:
Alice":4jo7vkvg said:
The entire thread was deleted?

Alice

Wow. That must have been quite a fight to get the whole thread deleted. When did it happen?

Frankie, I don't think it was a fight, at least from what I read...but then I might have missed something. It was just one person being an a$$ to a point that other's got tired of it, and said so...without mincing words. At least, that was my take on it. Really don't understand why the whole thread was deleted, but then that's not for me to determine.

Alice

Nice looking girls! Pretty wild how that gut can come later. Seems like one of the biggest knocks you hear on this site when pictures are posted of young calves is they are a little high in the flank. But amazing how once they grow out they also fill out. I fight this when looking at some of our baby bull calves wondering if any will make a show steer next year for the kids they are just so green you wonder if they will fill out, but with time comes the guts.

Jeanne: If you remember, I told you the armchair cowboys that were running their ignorant mouths about your heifers were crazy. Glad to see the pics. :) :) :) :)

Latest posts