SHF wonder video included

Help Support CattleToday:

It's not being hard headed oakcreek it is being realistic.
Yes alot of bulls look great while being fed out in front of a bunk, but out here the real truth is how they do away from that bunk and out on pasture.
Once they get their breeding clothes on can they cover the miles needed to breed the cows?

Know a high priced breeder near us. Neighbor bought one of his bulls. Looked like a scrub bull out in the pasture. Never kept any condition nor stayed home.

Why don't you post a video of this bull out in a 1000 acre plus pasture with a bunch of cows half way through the breeding season.

oakcreekfarms":1zy3r3tc said:
He wasn't on full feed when he was young, he was fed appropriately. Any bull in that condition is going to lose some of it when turned out on grass. I don't understand the point that you guys are trying to make..

do you know what and how much he was feed from weaning to yearling? and from yearling to two years old?
his back fat ratio was 99 as a yearling

I think its ridiculous questioning the doing ability of the bull just because he was fed, many great bulls of the past was fed much harder and they went on to become successful breeding bulls that made an impact on the breed without any help later on in life. All I say is I question his usefulness as a stud sire given his lack of structural integrity.

I believe that he does have weaker pasterns then would be ideal in the video, some are calling them unacceptable.

I also believe that this is a result of feeding rather then breeding. I saw him as a yearling and never noticed a problem, so I would assume that the excess weight that he has carried from yearling to this point might be more of the issue. Yes he would lose weight covering a large number of cows on a large number of acres. A bull can only look that way by being fed. I have no idea how much he had from yearling to this point. I know that Kevin took him to Denver, so he probably was hand fed from yearling till the show and then he mostly went to corn silage, rough pasture, and 8lbs (guessing on this) of grain like the rest of Kevin's bulls. He raises his cattle the correct, and I would say commercial mans way. His sale bulls live on rye, silage, and some grain mixed in. I hope by my comments you would never put Kevins program in question, he has a top program.

Sorry for the hard headed comment, it wasn't appropriate for the conversation. Everyone can have their opinions, and I asked about the video and I have to remind myself that is all most of you have to go off of.

And once again, he is not my bull to take a picture of, I thought I made that clear. Down here that would be breeding 100 cows on 1000 acres, I don't think that I would put a two year old up to that. If that is what you do, then good on ya

you are right - i didn't read your post very well. i just scratched my head when you so nonchalantly said the he was only two and would not breed 40 cows for a few years. i haven't even looked at the link you posted. i could care less how he was raised, fed, shown. knersie points out his alleged structural weaknesses and i think for the same reason i pointed out what i did. a guy would like to think that herd sires or genetics that are laying the foundation for the future wouldn't have structural faults at the minimum. i feel like sometimes show earnings, ribbons, etc mistakenly get emphasized way too heavily in selection and somehow make genetics legit. just think if all the breeders of the past would have ruthlessly culled - where would the hereford breed be today? granted, that is easier said than done... but should be the way its done. if the bull really has a structural fault and the bull gets widely used that kind of stuff has a way of cropping back up for years to come. i just would like to say that ya maybe its your preference not to expose a 2 year old bull to 40 cows but its just the way you said it like its a given that a 2 year old won't cover 40 cows for a few more years. i guess maybe a lot of it is differences in worlds or parts of the industry too.

The bull has an impressive list of owners.

I don't think he's been entered in a show since his Denver outing, which was just short of his 1st birthday.

So I "WONDER" which owner was foolish enough to allow the bull to get that fat?????? And for what? To make a "pretty" video?????? :bang:

George

Some of you'll are just way too picky, that bull could improve allot of herds out there. :D

I once made a comments about fleshieness of cattle and there pics and many of you critizied me. Now your all critizing this bull collectively on his fleshieness. These foroms get to be a joke.

Hereford76":1lwqs4lr said:
you are right - i didn't read your post very well. i just scratched my head when you so nonchalantly said the he was only two and would not breed 40 cows for a few years. i haven't even looked at the link you posted. i could care less how he was raised, fed, shown. knersie points out his alleged structural weaknesses and i think for the same reason i pointed out what i did. a guy would like to think that herd sires or genetics that are laying the foundation for the future wouldn't have structural faults at the minimum. i feel like sometimes show earnings, ribbons, etc mistakenly get emphasized way too heavily in selection and somehow make genetics legit. just think if all the breeders of the past would have ruthlessly culled - where would the hereford breed be today? granted, that is easier said than done... but should be the way its done. if the bull really has a structural fault and the bull gets widely used that kind of stuff has a way of cropping back up for years to come. i just would like to say that ya maybe its your preference not to expose a 2 year old bull to 40 cows but its just the way you said it like its a given that a 2 year old won't cover 40 cows for a few more years. i guess maybe a lot of it is differences in worlds or parts of the industry too.

I agree 100% on the structural faults.

On the show ribbons, if the judge is properly trained and worth his salt bulls with structural faults SHOULD not win any ribbons.

Latest posts