SHF Wonder

Help Support CattleToday:

SPH":brmqoc7z said:
Genex website has 719T as $20 a straw, not sure what his cert price is but heard nothing but good things about that bull.

Anyone that is breeding AI to a Hereford bull that is not breeding Revolution at $25 a straw as a non-cert right now is missing out. I'll try to post some pictures this week it time allows but we've have some great looking calves out of him. We added Hyalite On Target 936 to the tank this summer too who is another non-cert AI sire and if you followed the Rausch sale his sons topped their sale. We bred our top Revolution heifer from 2012 to 936 and are pretty pleased with the heifer calf we got from that match.

Its good that you believe in what you are doing, but it is really a matter of opinion which bulls we use. Personally, I'd just as soon people used their home raised bulls to try to improve their herds, but to each his own. There are some things about Revolution, that bother me a bit. That doesn't mean he won't be a good bull for you or someone else. If there was one thing I really would like to see in his data it would be a ribeye area/hundredweight epd. He's a trait leader for ribeye area, but he's carrying a +105 mature cow weight epd. His sire is a trait leader for MCW at +35 and his dam is at +112. Giant cattle have big ribeyes, that's no surprise. I sent steers to one of the early GOP steer tests at Oberlin, KS and when the test began we were told the cattle would be rated on several catagories at the end of the test. One of those catagories was ribeye/hundredweight. I was looking forward to that result. When the test was completed we learned the ribeye/hundredweight had been dropped. I asked why and I was told it was because it would have made the smaller framed cattle look good and they didn't want to encourage people to cut frame. I think our carcass epds need to be tied together in some way and I wonder how much different the breed would look today if a ribeye area/hundred weight epd had been added a long time ago.

You make some good points Alex. I realize not everyone has the same goals and "taste" in cattle. For us we're looking to breed more for maternal traits as majority of our calves become replacement females or sale bulls and the rest shipped off to the market so the carcass data is something we don't really deal with since we don't have feeder calves. Obviously if your goal is to breed the best feeder calves then the perception changes. Just looking at the maternal traits and phenotype Revolution fits exactly what we want, his females are long with good depth of rib and pretty good thickness and they have great udders. I get that there are operations out there that he may not be what they want but as far as someone saying they won't try out non-cert bulls I think they are missing out on some quality genetics because there are several out there that are just as good as the bulls you'll pay $100 a cert for and from the progeny we've seen from other programs he's a pretty well-balanced bull. Again though, to each and his own you could put 2 bulls side by side and depending on what a breeder is looking for you could get 2 completely different opinions on what they think about them.

Hereford76":26tgs5xi said:
SPH":26tgs5xi said:
Genex website has 719T as $20 a straw, not sure what his cert price is but heard nothing but good things about that bull.

Anyone that is breeding AI to a Hereford bull that is not breeding Revolution at $25 a straw as a non-cert right now is missing out. I'll try to post some pictures this week it time allows but we've have some great looking calves out of him. We added Hyalite On Target 936 to the tank this summer too who is another non-cert AI sire and if you followed the Rausch sale his sons topped their sale. We bred our top Revolution heifer from 2012 to 936 and are pretty pleased with the heifer calf we got from that match.

You said Hereford bull... So how would anyone be missing out?

Still beating that breed "purity" drum, Ace? :rtarrow: :bang: :bang: :deadhorse:

Since the diluter test has become available, it's plain to see that battle is forever lost.

Herefords.US":16690zdd said:
Hereford76":16690zdd said:
SPH":16690zdd said:

You said Hereford bull... So how would anyone be missing out?

Still beating that breed "purity" drum, Ace? :rtarrow: :bang: :bang: :deadhorse:

Since the diluter test has become available, it's plain to see that battle is forever lost.

yep - some folks just have different versions of what integrity is.

Latest posts