Controlling buttercup in pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Well take this for what you paid for it...
I don't see grazing restrictions for pasture either....I also don't see pasture application instructions....... only instructions for soybeans, alfalfa and peanuts. So I'd say it isn't intended to be used on pastures and isn't labeled for such use.

However, it does tell you not to graze or make hay out of soybeans and alfalfa for 60 days after application.....if you chose to use the product "off label" I'd say it would be acceptable to use on pasture if you heed the 60 day grazing restrictions associated with alfalfa and peanuts.

Just my :2cents: you said you can't pull off the pasture, so this product is probably not one for you to use.

Some information I've found on 2,4-DB: http://fieldcrops.org/Forages/Pages/WeedControl.aspx

GROUP 4 HERBICIDE• Apply postemergence when weeds are no more than 2–3 in. high or rosettes are less than 2 in. across. Will not control wild radish. Do not graze or feed seedling alfalfa, clover, or birdsfoot trefoil within 60 days after application. There is no preharvest interval for haylage or dry hay; however, harvested forage should not be fed within 60 days after application.

You would be better off buying some 2,4-D Amine as that is the same thing that is in Grazon P+D. The only grazing restriction for 2,4-D Amine is lactating animals (7 days after applications) and meat animals (remove 3 days before slaughter).

Grazon p+d has a 2,4-D base, but also has picloram. Its more potent than 2,4-D alone, but shouldn't be needed on buttercups unless you have a certain kind (can't remember the name now) that has shown some resistance. Around here we generally use the ester formulation before easter and the amine after, but that's in Tennessee.

brandonm_13":378ti651 said:
Grazon p+d has a 2,4-D base, but also has picloram. Its more potent than 2,4-D alone, but shouldn't be needed on buttercups unless you have a certain kind (can't remember the name now) that has shown some resistance. Around here we generally use the ester formulation before easter and the amine after, but that's in Tennessee.
How bad does it knock down the clover?

tom4018":2hogkx1v said:
brandonm_13":2hogkx1v said:
How bad does it knock down the clover?
Used a pint of WeedDestroy (generic 2, 4-d) per acre on this back in November to knock out the wild Mustard.

Course we did have a great season for clover this past fall and it did make a lot of seed last year.

Greetings,
I read all of your posts on controlling buttercup in pastures and I decided to share what really works for us... I started using CIMARRON PLUS / by DuPont, approx. 7 years ago. We don't have to remove our horses or other grazing stock, Which helps us out tremendously !! I will tell you that most of my clover disappeared... but to see our pastures Buttercup Free ... with out ALL those Yellow Flowers that crowd out the grazing grass ... is amazing! I reckon we can live with out an abundance of clover. I recently found out that CIMARRON has came out with CIMARRON MAX which has a couple more additives , one being 2,4,D. It's supposed to cover more species of broad leaf weeds.
We spray on CIMARRON PLUS on a warm day with no rain clouds in sight, and I notice a change in approx. a week... it kills down to the roots ... and in less than 2 weeks time, all those pesky yellow flowers are gone and we have folks stop to ask us what we used. I bought ours at our local co-op in 2oz bottles ... recently found it in 10 oz bottle.

I don't know what your budget is... but by the time you buy this or that and it don't work ... and you keep on buying and trying , its frustrating ! I am a true believer in CIMMARON Plus and I just thought I would share with this board.

tom4018":1hq9cmu4 said:
What does everyone consider the maximum wind to be when spraying?
should be under 10mph.....I use a boomless so anything much over a 5 mph wind causes a problem with the spray pattern.

1982vett":27j2yab5 said:
tom4018":27j2yab5 said:
should be under 10mph.....I use a boomless so anything much over a 5 mph wind causes a problem with the spray pattern.
Which boomless do you use? The one they rent here has Hypro Boom Extender Boomless Nozzles on it.

Buttercup like any plant grows best in certain soil conditions. Buttercup likes wet compacted soil. Until you change your soil condition buttercup will keep returning. Spraying is just a patch on the real problem.

Richardin52":3fwfqqer said:
Buttercup like any plant grows best in certain soil conditions. Buttercup likes wet compacted soil. Until you change your soil condition buttercup will keep returning. Spraying is just a patch on the real problem.
What would you suggest? Farm is in a valley so it is wet natured. Some of the pasture is higher ground and buttercup is there too. How would you suggest dealing with compaction?

tom4018":ofhas5iq said:
1982vett":ofhas5iq said:
tom4018":ofhas5iq said:
Which boomless do you use? The one they rent here has Hypro Boom Extender Boomless Nozzles on it.
I use one of these.....well actually two of these. One mounted vertical and one horizontal. Increases the chance that I'm not leaving a streak if one plugs a little.
img10675471med.jpg

1982vett":1byancjw said:
I use one of these.....well actually two of these. One mounted vertical and one horizontal. Increases the chance that I'm not leaving a streak if one plugs a little.
img10675471med.jpg
How many gallons per acre is that putting out? My rough ground 4-5 MPH is a good speed.

tom4018":2rej6j7l said:
Richardin52":2rej6j7l said:
What would you suggest? Farm is in a valley so it is wet natured. Some of the pasture is higher ground and buttercup is there too. How would you suggest dealing with compaction?

That depends on how wet it is. If the ground is wet all the time you most likely have to drain it. If it drys out so you can drive over it say three months out of the year or so, then you should be able to improve the drainage and compaction (again if not too bad) though management.

If it were me I would not graze it until the grass were at least 12 inches high, then take it no lower that 6 inches and move the cattle off until it had a chance to recover or at least until you can't see any sign it has been grazed (square cut tops etc). I would also use a stock density of at least 100,000 lbs. Per acre. This will keep the cattle moving through the area and make for a good deep sod which will give the soil structure and really help in
drainage.

If the grass reaches 12 inches and the ground is wet you can graze the area but don't leave them in one place very long. I move mine through an area like that ever morning and every evening and I think faster would be still better.

tom4018":3crx10qy said:
1982vett":3crx10qy said:
img10675471med.jpg
How many gallons per acre is that putting out? My rough ground 4-5 MPH is a good speed.
Puts out 20-25 gallons per acre.

See that you are in Kentucky, so your situation might similar to ours in Missouri. Broadleaf weeds are difficult to control when you have clovers growing as part of the forage mix. I would not use 2,4-DB, but would use a light shot (1/2 to 1 pint) of 2,4-D Amine per acre. Use a coarse spray at low pressure and moderate gallonage. Say 20 - 30 psi at ten to 15 gallons per acre. The earlier the better, so as to disrupt the clover as little as possible. DB will be more likely to kill the clovers, than Amine. If you can not find 2,4-D Amine, 2,4-D LV (low volatile) will do. They both metabolize back to acid within the plant anyway. But Amine is usually cheaper.

Latest posts