Controlled Release Implants

Help Support CattleToday:

Weaver

Reaction score
We have never implanted our feedlot cattle before, mainly because the hassle to run them back through the squeeze chute to reimplant them later on. I have been seriously thinking about trying a controlled release implant such as Encore or Revalor XS. Anyone have any experiences with either of those two?

We are working on our genetics. We have 15 head of fat cattle left to sell out of the 55 head that we raise ouselves and out of those 40 head we sold already this fall, we are running 100% choice or better, 12.5% prime, and 48% CAB on our CAB eligible cattle. Even though we select our breeding stock for growth and carcass qualities among other things, I thought implants might help us out a bit more even. We arent going to get docked because of using implants so i didn't know why we shouldn't use them and get the benefits from them.

baxter78":22u26jsy said:
Nope and my customers do not want em either. Get yourself some better genetics and you wont need implants.
Even the most superior genetic cattle are improved with implants considering you don't use them where does all your wisdom about implants come from?

Weaver":2myc5t97 said:
We have never implanted our feedlot cattle before, mainly because the hassle to run them back through the squeeze chute to reimplant them later on. I have been seriously thinking about trying a controlled release implant such as Encore or Revalor XS. Anyone have any experiences with either of those two?
Encore appears to be closer to 360 to 370 rather than 400. I can't remember the pros and cons of Revalor. Compudose Encore and synovex are the implants of choice here.

Lots of people in our area advise the implants. The numbers they state are that the implant will make you an extra $25 - $50 per cow. That being said, I still do not and am not going to implant.

As baxter78 said:

baxter78":1d30kp1t said:
Nope and my customers do not want em either.

We are selling beef that can be called hormone free. My customers like that. :nod:

Thanks for the advice somn. We ship our cattle to a National Beef packing plant and they aren't paying us any premiums for non hormone treated cattle so I thought we might as well be using implants. Just trying to find the one that will fit the best.

Of course you should use implants. What do they cost, a dollar? Return $20 -$30 dollars. Pretty easy decision. Weaver, I don't know those two you said. I use ralgro.

Weaver":xldrq810 said:

Talk to your vet ,he /she will give you tonnes of data on the best of both hormonal implants and which/why is preferred.

BTW, what feed lot does not use them? They are hard to find, and most consumers care about the best bargain,, Not hormone free..
As the economy continues to go in the toilet ,those markets will be fewer and farrer between.

hillsdown":2kxb0afo said:
most consumers care about the best bargain

I totally agree with this on most accounts. However, I am not after the average Wally-World consumer. I'm looking for the person that is willing and able to pay premium prices and fill up their freezer with my hormone free beef.

Totally different markets.

I use Encore for the same reason you are considering it: I don't have to run them through the chute an extra time. Seem to have good luck with them but couldn't honestly say for sure as I have never had a control group to compare with; I just use the info provided by universities.

If you direct market all your beef you may want to consider not using implants. But if your not direct marketing or have a specific market that will pay you a premium you are leaving money on the table by not using implants no matter what your genetics are.

Latest posts