Contact wearers

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd love to get the surgery but just can't ever seem to find 5000 laying around. Every time I get a few bucks saved I gotta go and buy a dang bred heifer instead.

Yeah, the prices have come down dramatically. They finally made it affordable for me to do.

And the technology has increased greatly as well, pretty much a foolproof procedure now.

Diamond B Ranch":2sggj98y said:
Yeah, the prices have come down dramatically. They finally made it affordable for me to do.

And the technology has increased greatly as well, pretty much a foolproof procedure now.

Ok, happy lasik customers you have just sold me on it. I'm going to Houston next wk and just made an appointment with an eye dr. in the med center to see if I qualify for it.

I some how lost my drivers license the wk before Christmas, went to get them replaced they told me to go ahead and renew them cuz they was almost up anyway. Couldn't past the dang eye test. So I gotta do something before March. I'll be the guinea pig for you all and revisit this post when I get back. If you all are interested I'll let ya know how I liked it and the cost. Also they got a deal for zero down and zero financing for one year.

texasmortgageman":usgnpkn2 said:
I have been wearing contacts for 30 years. I have always had "hard" contacts , what they call "gas permeable". They pop in when you put them in and when you take them out you pop them out by stretching the skin aroud your eye and blinking. As opposed to "soft" and extended wear you do not have to touch your eyeball and grab them out and also no little cleaning machines, steam, etc., only a small bottle of solution and bottle of cleaner. Lasik sounds great and people swear by it but i'm chicken. Aikman had it done while he was playing and Tiger had it done a few years ago.

Same here on the hard contacts first and then they came out with the gas permeable type which were much better. This since the 8th grade over 30 years ago. When I got them that's was about all they had. If I remember correctly soft where new and we went with the hard. Use to clean them with lighter fluid when they got real bad. Had this pair since 1997.

Still have them but with the new technology I would not start with contacts now if I could afford laser correction. I don't think people would accept some of the things I or maybe you went through with the hard contacts (i.e. trash in eye.....pain......suction cups to remove.....). I remember one time granddad was picking beans and I got some trash in my eye and couldn't get it out. I was in a bad way until he got me home and finally got it out. I have become accustom to the sudden pain associated with hard contacts when trash gets in.

With all the bad, I have had corrected vision to 20/15 and my uncorrected vision has improved a few point to 20/45. Soft contacts will not maintain uncorrected vision because they do not make the eye conform to their profile as do the hard type.

I had lasik surgery a couple years ago. While I am for the most part satified with 20/20 vision my right eye now stays dry all the time. I have to use drops to keep it lubricated . Also, you should get a copy of your eye dimensions before the surgery . The eye doctor I use now says after Lasik you will get cataracts eventually. The record of eye dimensions help the surgeon when removing the catarac. Just rember that eye surgery is a serious operation and you should pick your doctor very carefully.

Maybe some folks just need the correction on one eye.

Or maybe it's because each eye is an individual procedure needing different parameters for correction.

Or maybe it sounds better to say 699 per eye instead of 1398 for both.

Or maybe I just don't know. :p

Good question, never really thought about it. :?:

Some people won't have it done to both eyes in the same operation out of fear of something goring wrong. They want one "good eye" remaining in case some problem develops with the lasik'd eye.

Ok, had all the testing done today. Didn't realize how bad my eyes had gotten. They say I'm a good candidate for the procedure. It ain't cheap, and their add is some what misleading. They are a nationwide outfit. http://www.lasikplus.com There is some pretty good info there. They own all their on lasers where a lot of people have to rent them. I'll keep it in simple terms. My problem is distance vision, reading is fine. Say I got something going on called presbyopia, (lenses start to get hard with a little age.) Kinda gotta pick your poison. If they fix my distance vision in both eyes, it will effect my reading vision, and they say I'd probably have to go with reading glasses pretty quick. They say the thing for me is to do one eye. I'll have one good eye for distance and one for reading. They say my brain will adjust to that and I'll never know the difference. I say they don't know my brain. There is about four different laser machines, and I can get it done cheaper on an older machine but that could lead to some problems like the night time halos around lights and such. Like everything, there's a little selling going on here. At any rate, they sold me. I'll have one eye done next Thursday. 1100 bucks, zero down, zero interest for 12 months. Lifetime warranty and they can go back and change it if I don't like it, so they say. If anyone is interested I'll come back after it's done.

Triple D: Yes, definately report on how it went. I have been in glasses full time for about 8 years and I hate them. Tried contacts but need bi-focals and they can't get the left eye rx right. I am farsighted in one eye and nearsighted in the other. I cannot read without my glasses. I tried wearing one contact many years ago before going to the glasses full time and it was kinda weird driving, maybe I didn't give my brain time enough to get used to it....
Good luck!!

Hope all goes well, I am interestd as well in how it works out, I am looking into it too, I hate these darn glasses. So Dun - you gonna do it too if Triple D comed back with a good report?

I have 20/15 in my right eye and can't remember what my left eye is. Not quite leagly blind yet but heading there. Most of the time I don't even notice what my left is seeing but, when doing any detail work it would be nice to have two eyes.