Confused

Help Support CattleToday:

DaletheDairyFarmer

Reaction score
The discussion about the red Limis made me think a little. Yeah it does happen now and then! Why do breed associations call a bred-up animal a purebred and a 100% a fullblood? seems to me it should be the other way around , if its a "pure" bred it should be 100% unadulterated guaranteed,... well PURE. A fullblood should be a certain % full of whatever blood they are claiming it to be. Then after whatever the preset level is reached the animal could cross over to become a certified purebred then its offspring could be fully registered as pure. Is this just a way to confuse the buyers,breeders etc. so that lesser cattle could be marketed? I know its been this way for 30 or 40 years but it never did seem right to me. Anyone else ever think that or has the missus been putting funny leaves in my salad again?

Dale, its never made any sense to me either. Then again there are alot things about/regarding 'registries' that don't make much sense to me.

Katherine

To me pure is 100% meaning all. 100% is self explanatory. Any thing else makes it a crossbred or composite.
Sounds like a meat that has a name that says it is one thing and in reality is something else.
I guess it is alright to mislead people if is just the name we are talking about.

The discussions of "Purebred, Registered, FULLBLOODS, 1/2 Bloods, 1/4 Bloods, Crossbreeding, Inbreeding, Linebreeding, Upbreeding, Downbreeding, and even 'Cow Freshener' Breeding" all center around the Basic Fundamentals of Genetic Management and specific breeding technics. To elucidate on these different METHODS of Cattle breeding and Management would require literally BOOKS and Books of teaching and explanation of terms!

The discussion at hand seems to be the confusion of what the term "Fullblood" means and how it seems to be in conflict with the term "Purebred".

FULLBLOOD refers to the "Original Genetics" which harkens back to the Country, or Nation, where the particular breed in question ORIGINATED, and the Genetics of those individual animals being KEPT in a NON-polluted state - indefinitely - without the infusion of OTHER germ plasm , even though of the SAME 'named' breed, being introduced into the original Genetics!

REGISTERED refers to the Genetics of a particular breed which have been achieved, arrived at, and kept at, a particular status which satisfies the requirements of that particular Breed Association, thereby allowing those particular individual animals to be considered PUREBRED enough to allow them to be "Registered" in that Breed's Herdbook as Purebred seedstock.

PUREBRED refers to the animals belonging to a particular recognized breed and possessing Genetics with characteristics and traits maintained through generations of UNMIXED descent.

It is also considered by many investigators that the "Purebred " Status of an individual may be achieved by five to seven generations of breeding succeeding females to ABSOLUTELY PUREBRED BULLS OF THE SAME BREED! After seven successive matings following this protocol, the resulting progeny will be 99999.22% Purebred! That is more PURE than Ivory Soap! Pretty close to perfect! But Mathematically, perfection can NEVER be achieved. But that is close enough for Government work!

It may be easily understood, therefore, that the two terms are NOT in conflict with each other. FULLBLOODS are, in their own right, purebred animals, whether they are Registered in a Herdbook or not. PUREBREDS need NOT be "Registered" in a Herdbook either. Conversely, REGISTERED animals MUST BE Purebred to satisfy requirements to be listed in the Breed Herdbook - either 100%, or SOME percentage, depending on the particular requirements of the Breed Association in Question.

Here is an explanation by the Maine-Anjou Association which may help to clarify the subject a little bit more:

"Focus on Fullbloods
What is a fullblood Maine-anjou? The distinction is with regards to any crossbred or purebred Maine-anjou animal. A fullblood in the Canadian registration herdbook is an animal with a descending bloodline that verifies on both sides of the pedigree back to French or English imported animals.

A blood type or DNA qualification has been a requirement since the importation to Canada to secure a fullblood registration paper. This is something we are proud of because other countries importing from Canada are interested in a true line of cattle. Our DNA and bloodtyping has been consistant for over 35 years. We do not accept American fullbloods into our herd book unless they can prove parentage verification to our registry system."

Comprehending these rather complicated requirements of various Associations make the understanding of it all a little difficult! But the BASICS are here, and a little study and focusing will help you get it all in your mind. :???:

I think! :wave:

If you have any other questions - - - - DON'T ASK! :nod:

DOC HARRIS

Doc, thank you for taking the time to post that information. It was an interesting read. Its amazing how 'complicated' basic stuff can get.

Katherine

Doc nice post. I guess I associated full with 100% from the get go and purebred I guess I just took it as they were "breeding" up to "pure". But then again I've never been in an association that allows percentage bred cattle.

Latest posts