CONFUSED ABOUT BREEDS

Help Support CattleToday:

PNZMAN

Reaction score
why do people confuse longhorn cattle with pinzguaer cattle? they are two different breeds and two different types of cattle. im just confused about that. alos they dock them in the market cause of their hide color. i have never heard of sucH, anyone care to comment

PNZMAN":dmyy2sc0 said:
why do people confuse longhorn cattle with pinzguaer cattle? they are two different breeds and two different types of cattle. im just confused about that. alos they dock them in the market cause of their hide color. i have never heard of sucH, anyone care to comment

Buyers call anything with spots Longhorns and dock them. Why? Because they can. They do the same thing with "eared" cattle. A buyer's job is to get the most he can for his money. If you're raising spotted cattle that you think are better than sale barn prices, I'd suggest retaining ownership on them and see what they'll do in the feedlot and on the rail. When you have that information, try contacting a buyer directly. Good luck...

There are many Longhorns that are colored like Pinz., too. We have had many Longhorns that are red line-back.

In addition to the popular notion/belief that spots = at least part longhorn, the white lineback coupled with the red sides and the overall color pattern of a Pinz always brings Longhorn to mind for me. And as Frankie said, the order buyers will just try to do their job and hit you with any discount they can get away with. If the cattle industry "society" allows them to they will discount longhorns, spots, ear, painted up Beefmasters more so than solid red Beefmasters, rats, cross eyed- calves, etc. much more than the real feedlot economics would seem to justify. Of course any buyer that is worth his salt knows darn well the difference between a longhorn, Pinz, painted Beefmaster, roan Shorthorn, etc. If they can semi-steal a calf from you they can certainly more readily make money. If you have fairly large numbers of calves that you feel get unfairly penalized for one or more traits you just may have to retain ownership to ultimately get a fair price, or find a way to market them other than at the weekday auction barn.

I agree with all the above comments-it's aggravating to raise some pretty good cattle and then get a beating at the sale barn so I sell as few as possible there. Sometimes I may have to take one or two to the local sale but usually sell them private treaty either as beef or roping stock. Most heifers that don't make it as registered breeding stock will be sold as commercial heifers. We usually have people waiting for Longhorn and Longhorn cross heifers to go into their beef herd. When people knock the Longhorn cattle they should be paying extra for healthy lean beef instead of trying to get them at discount prices. It's best to create a niche market for your product if you can.

PNZMAN --- for an example of how Pinz and LH coloration can sometimes be quite similar you might want to go to the subject "New Longhorn Calf" here on the Breeds board and look at the picture Rustler posted on the morning of 8/24/05 (about the 10th post for that subject). Note the partially visible longhorn cow on the far left of the picture.

Latest posts