Concrete

Help Support CattleToday:

BigBear56

Reaction score
I have an automatic waterer in one of my barns and it just has a dirt floor. I poured a pad around the waterer (4'x6') so that they couldn't back up and crap in it. I'm planning on pouring that barn and extending the concrete another 15' past the doors for a loafing area. This area is just for feeder calves. So my questions are:
1) How much curb do I need around the waterer pad? 4",6", more? Right now it's 4" to 10" depending on how muddy it gets in the barn. I have tons of fall and can really set the floor as low as I need to.

2) What type of tool can I use to make the concrete as rough as possible to avoid slips? I thought maybe a steel rake?

As to the roughing it up, they normally use a good stiff bristle brush and rough it up before it sets. If you really want it rough, you need to press fairly firmly to make the grooves deep in the concrete.

Not following you on question 1. Curb is a step up. If your talking clearance between concrete and trough, an inch would be plenty for expansion/contraction. Not sure what the pad you pored to keep them from crapping in it works looks like either. Picture would help.

I am the expert on rough non slip finishes on concrete, that happens whether I want the rough finish or not. I am good at getting a flat level surface though and for most of what I do that is all that matters.

Ken

1982vett said:
Not following you on question 1. Curb is a step up. If your talking clearance between concrete and trough, an inch would be plenty for expansion/contraction. Not sure what the pad you pored to keep them from crapping in it works looks like either. Picture would help.

Yes by curb I mean how much height they have to step up to stand and drink. I want that height difference so the don't back up and crap in it. Just not sure what that height difference should be. I know I read it somewhere sometime but can't remember

BigBear56 said:
1982vett said:

Yes by curb I mean how much height they have to step up to stand and drink. I want that height difference so the don't back up and crap in it. Just not sure what that height difference should be. I know I read it somewhere sometime but can't remember

Ok, I understand the concept now...sorry I don't have an answer for that.

Our curbs around bunks are around 6 inches high. Around one waterer the curb is 8" or so, and the other one is just 4". The waterer with the 4" curb has quite a bit of slope in the first 6 feet of the pad around the waterer which might also help to keep them from backing up to the waterer. Will still occasionally get manure bunks and waterers. I think width of curb is more important than height, ours are all 6-8" and I think a foot or more would be better.

You will want it to be rougher than a broom finish. That little bit of roughness will smooth out fairly quick from scraping the manure off. Just screed it off and call it good. That is what I did on the place in Western Washington. I had a lot of concrete at the feed bunks. It stayed rough and I never had an issue with cows slipping.

You will want it to be rougher than a broom finish. That little bit of roughness will smooth out fairly quick from scraping the manure off. Just screed it off and call it good. That is what I did on the place in Western Washington. I had a lot of concrete at the feed bunks. It stayed rough and I never had an issue with cows slipping.

just thought I would share an update on this since we got our concrete poured Saturday. I really struggled with how to get a good non slip surface on the floor. After searching the web and finding some expensive options, I decided to make my own bull float out of some oak board I had left from a project with grooves for the barn part of the pour. Surprisingly it came out great. The guys thought it was pretty cool and after grooving they put a nice heavy broom finish on it. I'm pleased and spent $50 on the whole thing. The pic of the float is before I puttied the holes and put 3 coats of poly on it.

Attachments

• 0089DA77-5A88-40C7-8ED5-6BB87621CB6E.jpeg
    0089DA77-5A88-40C7-8ED5-6BB87621CB6E.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 23
  • AD36C986-F496-47E0-A066-C78116AC901C.jpeg
    AD36C986-F496-47E0-A066-C78116AC901C.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 05EEF799-B6AD-4033-969B-FE87F576433F.jpeg
    05EEF799-B6AD-4033-969B-FE87F576433F.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 23

Latest posts