Comrade calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Bcompton53

Reaction score
I sure like the Comrade calves. These are a few months old, aren't out of the best cows, and I'm not expert, but that second heifer sure stands out in our herd. Both of these are from black baldy cows with what I'm guessing are angus and Hereford genes. I'm stacking Comrade heifers from last year with Deer Valley All In and also Capitalist 028...I can't wait for next year.

T & B farms said:
They look nice. Don't ruin them by putting AlI IN on them.

And your reasoning is? I like a lot of the Pedegree behind All In. I'm trying to use him on some of my smaller framed Cows that could use a little size. I don't want big giant cows but some of them of them could definitely use some help, But as always feel free to attempt to change my mind.

They are the hardest fleshing cows you will ever find. I have saw it personally and had two others tell me the same thing. All of my all in cows dropped out of the herd by age 4 for being open. He also has 10x in his pedigree, I should have known better.

Anyone else had this experience?
I don't see any warning signs in his epds, average milk, high $w, high HP. Not tha epds are everything, but his accuracies are pretty high anyway. I didn't use him on any of my bigger cows.
So you just dogged two bulls who were in the top 10 by registrations in 2017, i can't seem to find anyone else in the forum search that says anything bad about 10x except he isn't pretty to look at.

Bcompton53 said:
I don't see any warning signs in his epds, average milk, high $w, high HP. Not tha epds are everything, but his accuracies are pretty high anyway. I didn't use him on any of my bigger cows.
So you just dogged two bulls who were in the top 10 by registrations in 2017, i can't seem to find anyone else in the forum search that says anything bad about 10x except he isn't pretty to look at.

I don't know about being open, but not easy fleshing at all. Very clean and femine in the front, with pretty good udder structure, shallow, not wide topped or square hipped. I think All In would be good on really broody cows, who might lack some heighth and femininity.

Bcompton53 said:

I too avoid any AI sires with Ten X in the pedigree for a number of reasons:
-Some Ten X progeny are poor footed (I am guessing this comes from In Focus)
-Ten X has a reputation for siring high headed, flighty cattle. A couple years ago I helped a friend work 100+ yearling bulls out of several popular AI sires. The only two bulls that came after me were both Ten X sons. Since that experience I have had others tell me that they too have seen disposition issues with some of their Ten X calves
-Many of the Ten X progeny lack the thickness that I desire.

UG said:
Bcompton53 said:

-Ten X has a reputation for siring high headed, flighty cattle. A couple years ago I helped a friend work 100+ yearling bulls out of several popular AI sires. The only two bulls that came after me were both Ten X sons. Since that experience I have had others tell me that they too have seen disposition issues with some of their Ten X calves

I appreciate the info, I'll keep my eye out for those traits. Fortunately these are cattle that will all eat out of my hand, and the comrade cattle are like puppies. And the calves will only be 25% "10x"

UG said:
Bcompton53 said:

Don't forget about the terrible udders on the 10x daughters. If your cows already have very good udders you might get away with it. He will make them worse.

I wouldn't use All In. I have used Ten X with success in my commercial operation, but I have also used him on females that I do not plan to keep heifers out of. He's definitely not a foot improver. He's a terminal bull that is not maternal in any way. His feet are an issue. There are plenty of better bulls to use than All In from Select Sires. Also on the other side of his pedigree he has upward. Upward has been known to not produce progeny with good feet. I do my best steer clear of both if they are in the same pedigree. If you're looking for a proven spread bull from select sires, I would use Bronc, Tahoe, Spur, or a bull like Spring Cove Compound that may be unproven. If you are interested in sav, use rainfall. I was very pleased with his bulls and females at schaffs.

Welter Bros Angus said:
I wouldn't use All In. I have used Ten X with success in my commercial operation, but I have also used him on females that I do not plan to keep heifers out of. He's definitely not a foot improver. He's a terminal bull that is not maternal in any way. His feet are an issue. There are plenty of better bulls to use than All In from Select Sires. Also on the other side of his pedigree he has upward. Upward has been known to not produce progeny with good feet. I do my best steer clear of both if they are in the same pedigree. If you're looking for a proven spread bull from select sires, I would use Bronc, Tahoe, Spur, or a bull like Spring Cove Compound that may be unproven. If you are interested in sav, use rainfall. I was very pleased with his bulls and females at schaffs.

Good to know. I am not looking for big spreads, I'd much rather not have to pump grain into my cows over winter. However, I'm starting from a big variety of cattle, so I'm trying to pull them each one direction or another first. One of my big issues with picking the ai bulls is the accuracy. If you look at some of then, they start life with one set of numbers and accuracies in the .30-.40, and by the time the accuracy is .80+ the numbers are totally different. So, I've avoided anything with low accuracy

Smart cattlemen stick to the proven bulls. Let the fools roll the dice.

W.B. said:
Smart cattlemen stick to the proven bulls. Let the fools roll the dice.

Yeah I'm not good enough to look at a bull and know what to expect. Apparently I pick bulls with bad feet! Haha. So I have to reply on numbers, and if the numbers are no good, then what gives

Bcompton53 said:
One of my big issues with picking the ai bulls is the accuracy.... by the time the accuracy is .80+
the numbers are totally different. So, I've avoided anything with low accuracy
1. I totally agree with you on epd accuracy.

2. IMO... Also Focus on traits with Heritabilities most influenced by genetics.

Mature Height is .62 heritable
SC .51
BW .46
Doc .44
Fat .42
YW .42

Milk .12 and HP .15 are influenced more by environment than genetics and should not be considered
nearly as strong as SC, BW, YW, MH ect.

On another note, to you comrade cow owners what have you had god luck breeding them too? All of the heifer bulls I've been using are 7229 sons.
Don't say All in or 10x. I would hamburger these heifers before I would breed them too them.

T & B farms said:
They are the hardest fleshing cows you will ever find. I have saw it personally and had two others tell me the same thing. All of my all in cows dropped out of the herd by age 4 for being open. He also has 10x in his pedigree, I should have known better.
- went on by what a rep told me and now i have a heifer by him that should be calving this fall. Her mother was a jewel and very good cow and she is the last heifer by her unfortunately. I sure hope her genetics are dominant... I had heard 10x had a foot issue (of course only after i used him). Does he have other problems too? Last thing I want is surprises so I stick to proven bulls now.

Latest posts