SS Niagara Calves and Sexed Semen

Help Support CattleToday:

valleycattle

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I am new to the site and you all seem like a good bunch to get some advice!

I have an older angus cow that I have yet to get a heifer calf from. She is more the family pet than anything but produces the nicest calves each year! I can't stand the idea of not getting a heifer from her so I'm doing A.I. on her with sexed heifer semen this year. I know it's best used on heifers and not older cows but I'm running out of chances on this girl to get a heifer.

Any advice or tips for breeding with sexed semen? How has your success rate been?
Has anyone specifically used SS Niagara Z29 sexed heifer from select sires? That is about the only sire I could find for sexed female here in Wisconsin. The rep said demand for angus sexed heifer semen is low so they aren't sorting much of it anymore.

Also, just generally, does anyone have any daughters of SS Niagara Z29? I'm very curious to know how they turn out.

Thanks for the help and advice!

Stgenetics is said to have high quality sexed semen. Many claim they get just as good of conception rates as conventional. Pretty sure they have several high quality angus available in sexed semen. My understanding is you should try to breed closer to 18 hours after first standing heat as compared to 12 with conventional. Depending on the skill level of your AI tech it could be more difficult to manipulate the cervix successfully at the later time. In my limited experience most cows cervixes will not be as rigid at 18 hours as they are at 12. I am no expert but these are based off of my personal experiences.

You are considering what seems to be a very good bull in Niagara. I have bred a few cows to him this year and can't wait for next spring's calves. Have really not heard anything bad about him. I have had good success with sexed semen, typically AIing 16 to 20 hours after we observe the start of standing heat. I have used sexed semen on cows as well as heifers with really no difference in conception rates. I think the key is good heat detection so you are inseminating at the right time. Check out ST Genetics' website, they have good information on sexed semen and the protocol to use. If you can get Niagara female sexed semen, I would definitely give it a try. Good luck!

There are different processes for sorting semen. And there are sorting different outcomes with different bulls. In the old days - - the bull was often blamed for low preg rates. Not sure how good Stgenetics is now, but they used to do a lot of custom sorting for other studs.

No experience with Niagra.

Been using sexed semen on dairy heifers and beef heifers for years, used every company. Have seen little difference between old tech and new tech. Use when they are in heat, timed AI is not the place for sexed semen. I use same timing as I always have.

Since first of year I have been running sexed across the board in the dairy herd. Have already got enough pregnant to breed all heifers to the beef bulls as I have too many dairy heifers coming.