Commercial vs. registered.

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I saw a sale where a place sold a few head of registered heifers and then a whole host of commercial. Is commercial code for junk? The price difference what quite significant, so I was hoping someone could explain.

Maybe in there case but normally commercial just means not registered. Registered doesn;t mean better just an animal who'se ancestry can be traced way-way back via pedigree and herd books.

There can be crappy registered ones just as well as crappy commercials. All depends on how much money the breeder has to play with!

Money helps to develop a great herd of commercial cattle. The main ingredient is hard work and a great plan. All plans do not bear fruit, so you must be persistent and willing to change directions. I like to have a great registered bull over good commercial cows.

The difference is mostly in marketing in my opinion.

As said, good animals are good animals. Bad are bad.

I have eaten plenty of steak, roasts etc. That is what it is all about. Good meat.

It is true that the are many registered cattle that are inferior to commercial. And there are far to many people selling solely on the fact they have papers.
The benefit to registered cattle is, as stated before, one can trace ancestry. But the equally important benefit is the EPD's that can be used to develop better foundation stock for the commercial breeder, or more improved registered cattle for future generations.

"If you do not know where you have been you cannot know where you are going."

Latest posts