commercial vs registered

Help Support CattleToday:

herfdog

Reaction score
I was wondering what if any are the advantages of raising registered cattle over commercial cattle.
what makes a cow worth $5,000 and up

Gate Opener":3irfakx8 said:
The name of the ranch she comes from.

Pretty well sums it up. Some folks are excellent salesman and have built up good reputations over time.

It is also worth noting that not all their calves are sold at these high prices. Many quietly end up in the mainstream just like ours do. Picking these up at the sale barn is a good way to enhance your genetics of your herd cheaply.

I think the shopper who buys the stake at the grocery store don't ask if it is registered or not. But among cattle raisers it would be wise to know.

Cal

I'm amazed at all of those $100,000. + cattle that are for sale. I'm sure they are great genetics, but it all looks like a big shell game to me with the same group of players always swapping around and selling the cows.

If I sold you a $100,000 bull, you sold it to jogeephus for the same, and then I bought it back from him for $100,000, would we not have a $100,000 bull? We would even have the sales records to prove his worth.

Nothing wrong with (and everything right with) buying good cows, but a good cow will make you money.

What EPD's constitute a great program for profit.

grannysoo":7efv0h7t said:
I'm amazed at all of those $100,000. + cattle that are for sale. I'm sure they are great genetics, but it all looks like a big shell game to me with the same group of players always swapping around and selling the cows.

If I sold you a $100,000 bull, you sold it to jogeephus for the same, and then I bought it back from him for $100,000, would we not have a $100,000 bull? We would even have the sales records to prove his worth.

Nothing wrong with (and everything right with) buying good cows, but a good cow will make you money.

Latest posts