Colourful pics - not just green of course... (lots)

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I'm surprised at the variety of flowers the U of A campus has! These chosen "few" were taken around there today out of a larger number I took. Please enjoy!

DSCF0603.JPG

Carigana

DSCF0605.JPG

Can someone name this flower for me?

DSCF0610.JPG

Tulip wide open to the sun

DSCF0611.JPG

Tulip petal close-up

DSCF0613.JPG

Another closeup of a different variety of tulip

DSCF0618.JPG

DSCF0620.JPG

A couple close-ups of Lilacs

DSCF0621.JPG

Unknown flower #2: I think it's a flower that's related to the tulip or daffodil...idk.

DSCF0622.JPG

Second pic of unknown #2 with Athabasca Hall in the background

DSCF0624.JPG

Unknown flower #3: low growing, creeping plant..

DSCF0626.JPG

Unknown flower #4

DSCF0630.JPG

Some species of water grass (bullrush maybe) growing by a man-made stream

DSCF0634.JPG

A pair of malard ducks

DSCF0638.JPG

Some sort of apple blossom...smelled very sweet...

DSCF0640.JPG

Another shrub...which makes for Unkown flower #5.

Maybe someone who's more of a greenthumb than I am can tell me what these unknown flowers are...thanx

My goodness...what gorgeous pictures! I've always loved tulips...all tulips! :heart:

Like that pic with the ducks, too. :)

Alice

#3 is definitely vinca aka periwinkle. the groundcover kind. i consider it a weed.

the others are hard for me to tell about without seeing the plant. i'm thinking #2 is just a double tulip.

#1, i wonder if thats what a peony looks like?

Beefy":c0putels said:
#3 is definitely vinca aka periwinkle. the groundcover kind. i consider it a weed.

the others are hard for me to tell about without seeing the plant. i'm thinking #2 is just a double tulip.

I agree on #2 - double tulip

on #1 - I don't think it is a peony - unless the bloom was just about done - they will look like that just before the petals drop

mdmdogs3":2ifict0u said:
Beefy":2ifict0u said:

I agree on #2 - double tulip

on #1 - I don't think it is a peony - unless the bloom was just about done - they will look like that just before the petals drop

I would say 99 percent sure that is a peony.They bloom early here and are done the end of may early june.My Tulips are already done.It was an early and very strange spring here.The other looks maybe like a trumpet daffodil.

~

Wow! GREAT photos.

What kind of a camera are you using ?

That multicolor tulip is my favorite.

CowCop":2a379bqj said:
What kind of a camera are you using ?

THanks. I just use a Fujifilm A500 5.1 megapixel camera.

Okay, so we're kinda set on the first three. #4 I think is another subspecies of tulip, but #5...I really don't know that one. Like I said before it's another shrub, it grows like that peony, but the flowers are smaller and more clustered together... :help:

Horticattleman":127u7who said:
#3 is Vinca major. The major is the groundcover, the minor is the bedding plant variety (non invasive) a.k.a. periwinkle.

Actually, Vinca major, Vinca minor, and the bedding plant Catharanthus roseus (which is the one most people think of as being periwinkle) are all called periwinkle.
http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/botany/perihist.html

Latest posts