Color question

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank God I sell mine with the hide off-It's silly really when an inch of any colour impacts what an animal is worth-it's has absoluteuly nothing to do with their productive value. When we ran char/angus cows and bred them back red we had a grey, a red and a black calf in three years all of the same bull-none was any better than their sibs. In fact stealing by colour at the marts got me into retained ownership.

I guess we wouldn't be having this long discussion if those NON black breeds didn't want to turn their breed all black.

I do know that when you breed two "RED" Red Polls the result will be a RED calf. :)

As Northern Rancher has pointed out.....once the hide is off it's doesn't matter what color they were when they were alive.

Report this postReply with quoteRe: Color question
by Jovid on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:32 am

I guess we wouldn't be having this long discussion if those NON black breeds didn't want to turn their breed all black.

Not necessarily true because even in the (Black) Angus breed there are some determined "Red Carriers" which would result in the same scenario with red and black as we talked about above when crossed in a commercial herd. I believe every year in the Angus Journal in at least one issue they list the known bloodlines of "Red Carriers".

Circle H Ranch

Cattleman200":phxb81s9 said:
Report this postReply with quoteRe: Color question
by Jovid on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:32 am

Not necessarily true because even in the (Black) Angus breed there are some determined "Red Carriers" which would result in the same scenario with red and black as we talked about above when crossed in a commercial herd. I believe every year in the Angus Journal in at least one issue they list the known bloodlines of "Red Carriers".

Circle H Ranch

You are absolutely correct but I believe in other parts of the world Angus is Angus whether it is Red or Black

Circle H - it's in the Purebred Angus herd - not just the commercial. If a PB BA cow produces a red calf, it can be registered as a PB RA - but not recognized by the BA assn. at all. And the red calf does not carry ANY black genes.

Jovid I saw an intertesting trial at MARC when I was there they had cows on four energy levels pre and post calving. high/high-high/low-low/high-low/low. The red poll cows were the only cows that nbred back with any success on the low/low ration. Basically you could starve them and they would breed back. Thank god in Canada an Angus be it red or black.

Northern Rancher":3eqwa847 said:
Jovid I saw an intertesting trial at MARC when I was there they had cows on four energy levels pre and post calving. high/high-high/low-low/high-low/low. The red poll cows were the only cows that nbred back with any success on the low/low ration. Basically you could starve them and they would breed back. Thank god in Canada an Angus be it red or black.

Yep....never had a problem with our Red Polls breeding back. Some of our breeders don't care about when they calve so they leave the bull in year round and end up with cows having a calf every 10 - 11 months.

I had a little red pol, calf off the milk cow i was going to gomer he was just running out with the cows the little bugger bred 23 cows at ten months before he got the snip snip lol.

Northern Rancher":2ubl55lp said:
I had a little red pol, calf off the milk cow i was going to gomer he was just running out with the cows the little bugger bred 23 cows at ten months before he got the snip snip lol.

:lol: Doesn't surprise me....We had a BSE done a bull at 10 months because that is what they buyer wanted. The vet said we were wasting our time as it probably wouldn't show anything. Boy was he surprised. He said the bull had more active sperm than the older bulls of other breeds. I won't mention the COLOR of those breeds. This was a color question thread.

Northern Rancher":tf2th36w said:

How did those 10-month old's calves turn out? Probably have a real fertile herd from that little guy.

Jim

Latest posts