Collecting on an older bull

Help Support CattleToday:

deeredriver

Reaction score
I have an 11 year old Murray Grey bull that I would like to have semen collected from. Here is my question- Does anyone have any knowledge on what the effects of collection on an older bull are? He doesn't have any health issues that I am aware of besides the slightest hint of a limp from a leg injury many years ago. A friend of mine has me a little scared to try to take him somewhere for collection- she keeps telling me it is really hard on older bulls, they aren't the same afterwards, he could die soon afterwards...etc. He is a great heifer bull with good bloodlines and has given me some really nice calves so far. I have some people interested in buying semen, but now I am questioning whether or not to collect. Also- the facility I am looking at taking him to has been recommended by many people and besides my friends opinion, I haven't heard any negative thoughts on semen collection. The facility I am looking to use would store and ship my semen for me too...which would be a huge benefit for me. Any thoughts or information you can offer for this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Speaking for the over 60 crowd I am of the opinion that a cigar, a shot of whiskey and a successful collection could actually kill a man(or bull ) at that advanced age but speaking for myself there are worse ways to go!

It should not be hard on him at all if they handle him correctly. Things you might not know that need to be done before collecting. Most breeds require a DNA parentage verification on the bull. Also , you will need to figure out where you will have it done because most collection facilities want a copy of the bulls papers or at least name and registration number because most make a stamp and stamp every straw of semen. This stamp has to be made and the straws stamped prior to freezing. The place I use usually wants the paperwork about 3 weeks prior. Then they let me know when they have the stamp in hand. Best of luck!

Circle H Ranch

As was stated, if he is still able to breed cows naturally, there should be absolutely no reason you can't collect them. If the bull is unable to mount a cow, then electro-jaculation is the only way to collect. Some old bulls do not respond to this method.

I have never herd of collection "Hurting of Killing" a bull.

I would think the stress of loading, transport, unfamiliar handlers, and new surroundings would be harder on the bull than the actual process.

the biggest problem we've had with older bulls is them wanting to jump the steer when there are none of the usual stimuli to make them want to, young bulls will happily screw anything that stands still long enough. The place we use will get one of the horny holstein yearlings to jump the dummy steer a couple times with the old bull tethered near by, that's usually enough to encourage them.

The people at the facility didn't even bat an eye at him being 11 years old. Im sure going to a new place and with new people will be stressful, but Im hoping it won't be too bad- especially if they give him a good back scratching - then he will be following them around like a puppy!

Actually I did collect an older bull once. I collected a 6 year old Fullblood Limousin bull. Some of you might know who he was. I know Red Bull knows him. It was DVFC Focus Point. He would not jump at first with the people standing close by to him. Some people would never guess how they got him to jump. They put a blindfold on him. He jumped, they collected and they told me after he realized they were not going to harm him he jumped with no problems after that. True story, believe it or not.

Circle H Ranch

Cattleman200":2bo3uboi said:
Actually I did collect an older bull once. I collected a 6 year old Fullblood Limousin bull. Some of you might know who he was. I know Red Bull knows him. It was DVFC Focus Point. He would not jump at first with the people standing close by to him. Some people would never guess how they got him to jump. They put a blindfold on him. He jumped, they collected and they told me after he realized they were not going to harm him he jumped with no problems after that. True story, believe it or not.

Circle H Ranch

An audience makes it rough on me too. :lol2: :lol2:

Last time I had one collected it cost for the plate to stamp the straws, around $35. Any tests that might need to be done on the bull, these costs vary. About $1.75 per unit of semen collected and if you leave the bull there versus a carry,collect and take home the same day the place I went to was $8 per day storage fee. Its been about 5 years since I had one collected so this may be much different now.

Circle H Ranch

Cattleman200":2e26wr09 said:
Last time I had one collected it cost for the plate to stamp the straws, around $35. Any tests that might need to be done on the bull, these costs vary. About $1.75 per unit of semen collected and if you leave the bull there versus a carry,collect and take home the same day the place I went to was $8 per day storage fee. Its been about 5 years since I had one collected so this may be much different now.

Circle H Ranch

That $8 a day can sure eat up your profit pretty fast!

3waycross":2e4et24b said:
Speaking for the over 60 crowd I am of the opinion that a cigar, a shot of whiskey and a successful collection could actually kill a man(or bull ) at that advanced age but speaking for myself there are worse ways to go!

3Way, that is a good one. Also being over 60, I would be of the opinion that the shot of whickey would actually help. :lol:

Cattleman200":4arp8uzl said:

Circle H Ranch

Like they do on TV, they put a blanket over the horses head to get them out of the burning stable. Works on cattle too. Was vaccinating heifers. A heifer was moving up the alley toward the chute. She stopped at the papatation cage and just looked at the chute like it was the jaws of a shark. Could not get her to move. Put a sheet over her head and she walked right in. I don't have a hot shot and I did not want to make going into the chute a bad memory. I like to make going through the handling facility as easy as possible. I hiplocked a small heifer and she is almost impossible to get in.

Latest posts