Colbolt Salt

Help Support CattleToday:

Monica

Reaction score
I was at the feed store today and notice they had salt blocks with Cobalt salt. I was wondering what you would look for in a cobalt salt deficient cow. Also would like to know the benefits are with feeding minerals with higher levels of cobalt. The feed store clerk had no idea why they carried the product just that a few customer had requested it.

Is there any harm in having these blocks set out for the cows along with there other mineral blocks? Just in case they are craving it?

Thanks

I'll answer your second question first.

No, it is not a problem if you set out a Co block a long with another mineral source, at least I don't see no problem with this, since we always do with with our stockers.

As for your first question, a deficiency in COBALT leads to anorexia, reduced growth, emaciation, and anemia.

A well balanced mineral will have sufficient cobalt to begin with. However, putting a salt block in addition to your mineral can lead to reducing your mineral intake which means you're getting less mineral into the animals rather than more. Cobalt is a micro-mineral (trace mineral) so a high level isn't required but cobalt is a required mineral.

Latest posts