coccidiosis

Help Support CattleToday:

George

Reaction score
I had a 10 day old calf get coccidiosis ,so i treated it with calf span and Cocci Bol-O-Tab Jr. and kept it isolated from the rest of the pairs until it was better.Yesterday had another calf get coccidiosis,treated it and isolated it.Tonight i had another 2 calves with coccidiosis,treated and isolated them.Does anyone know of some kind of feed or something that i could give these healthy calves free choice,so they might not get coccidiosis ?Any idea's greatly appreciated!!

George":1m9n0a12 said:
I had a 10 day old calf get coccidiosis ,so i treated it with calf span and Cocci Bol-O-Tab Jr. and kept it isolated from the rest of the pairs until it was better.Yesterday had another calf get coccidiosis,treated it and isolated it.Tonight i had another 2 calves with coccidiosis,treated and isolated them.Does anyone know of some kind of feed or something that i could give these healthy calves free choice,so they might not get coccidiosis ?Any idea's greatly appreciated!!

Sounds like you have a contaimanated water source, treat the drinking water.

Caustic Burno":fpcrev8l said:
George":fpcrev8l said:

Caustic can calves get coccidiosis through mama's milk? Reason I ask; I don't think my calves even drink water at ten days old. Maybe mess around with it if the other animals are drinking.

Cowdirt":n6qxzl9s said:
Caustic Burno":n6qxzl9s said:
George":n6qxzl9s said:

Caustic can calves get coccidiosis through mama's milk? Reason I ask; I don't think my calves even drink water at ten days old. Maybe mess around with it if the other animals are drinking.
More likely from her teats as it nurses

Very common through fecal contamination of water or feed source.

From the Merck manuel

Coccidiosis is commonly a disease of young cattle (1-2 mo to 1 yr) and usually is sporadic during the wet seasons of the year. "Summer coccidiosis" and "winter coccidiosis" in range cattle probably result from severe weather stress and crowding around a limited water source, which concentrates the hosts and parasites within a restricted area. Although particularly severe epidemics have been reported in feedlot cattle during extremely cold weather, cattle confined to feedlots are susceptible to coccidiosis throughout the year. Outbreaks usually occur within the first month of confinement. The incubation period is 17-21 days.

As Dun said you have the cows laying down in infected areas.

I don't believe it is the watering source,well is 400 feet deep and water is at 2 watering bowls.Three feet of snow in the fields also,so there is never a line up for a drink.Cows and calves are always fed on a clean spot in the field everyday.I never even thought about weather stress,but the last 7 weeks of minus 40 and some nights down to minus 50 could defiantly be it.I know there was a few days i was ready to snap,just because of the cold.I went and picked up some starter ration medicated with Deccox to feed free choice to the calves today from the local farm supplier.Met a neighbour there and his calves have it to,supplier said a lot of guys calves have it.Met a older gentleman there and thats what he said to CB,it was weather stress that brought it on.

A ten day old calf cannot be sick from coccidiosis as the incubation period is 17 to 21 days. Meaning that it takes about 3 weeks to get sick after ingesting the bug because it takes that long to go through the stages of it's life cycle.

What exactly did the vet test? You may have older calves infected and shedding the bug in the manure if that's what you had tested.

How old are the calves, how are they raised, etc?

Generally speaking, once a calf shows signs of coccidiosis, it's too late to treat for that bug, as it's almost done with it's life cycle. Most will get better on their own and be immune. Preventive treatment is used to prevent the disease in other calves which were probably exposed the same as the sick one. But that only works early after exposure. Yes, you put Corid in the water to do that. Severe cases may need supportive treatment.

But again, that's assuming you have coccidiosis, at least in the 10 day old calf, it cannot be.

Read from the merck manual:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... /21202.htm

djinwa":1imveddz said:
A ten day old calf cannot be sick from coccidiosis as the incubation period is 17 to 21 days. Meaning that it takes about 3 weeks to get sick after ingesting the bug because it takes that long to go through the stages of it's life cycle.

What exactly did the vet test? You may have older calves infected and shedding the bug in the manure if that's what you had tested.

How old are the calves, how are they raised, etc?

Generally speaking, once a calf shows signs of coccidiosis, it's too late to treat for that bug, as it's almost done with it's life cycle. Most will get better on their own and be immune. Preventive treatment is used to prevent the disease in other calves which were probably exposed the same as the sick one. But that only works early after exposure. Yes, you put Corid in the water to do that. Severe cases may need supportive treatment.

But again, that's assuming you have coccidiosis, at least in the 10 day old calf, it cannot be.

Read from the merck manual:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... /21202.htm

No they aren't 10 days old,i was just trying to get the point across that they were small calves,and not have everyone think there 600 lber's.My cows started clving jan 21,now i haven't treated any january calves yet,everything treated has been born in early febuary.The vet says it is coccidious,manure was tested,and the next dead calf they are going to do an autopsy on it.How do you put corid in the water?

When i met my neighbour at the farm supplier,he had just come from taking another calf to the university.He had takin a calf earlier and the tests had already came back positive for coccidious.

The vets should be advising you on treatment. Corid in the water works if calves are drinking, but if they are nursing, that's a problem. And again, if they are late in the incubation period of disease, it isn't as effective.

I would say to focus on keeping them from exposure. The bug is shed in the manure from infected animals. Then the next animal somehow gets manure in it's mouth. Either from eating off the ground where there's manure (bale rings, short pasture or hay fed on the ground).

Or, with nursing calves, the cows might be laying in manure and getting it on their bags which the calves are nursing on.

Bottom line is a need for sanitation. Feed up off the ground, or in a clean area. Cows should be provided clean bedding or moved around to clean areas to keep their udders clean. Get them away from areas where the sick calves were.

What kind of area are the cows in? Hopefully not wet and muddy and manure filled. The bugs that are shed survive a long time (years) if in a wet environment. Dryness and sunlight help to kill it.

CORID comes in liquid form for treating the water or pellet form for mixing with feed. Both have directions on the package. I have also drenched CORID with success as well.

2barmcattle":2pnkjthc said:
CORID comes in liquid form for treating the water or pellet form for mixing with feed. Both have directions on the package. I have also drenched CORID with success as well.

We cannot get that here, is not approved for use in Canada.

George":2wspqwo4 said:
When i met my neighbour at the farm supplier,he had just come from taking another calf to the university. He had takin a calf earlier and the tests had already came back positive for coccidious.

Bullshytt . It is not coccidiosis, it is something viral George .I want to see that report as I know d@m well that is not the cause of calves that young . The bloody stool is because of how severe the intestinal infection is .

Latest posts