Clover question.

Help Support CattleToday:

Hasbeen

Reaction score
On the advise of my local Ag. agent, I sowed a mix of red and white clover in early March. The warm temperatures and rain of this past week is really helping and I have (in spots) a really nice looking stand of clover. I'm not sure if it's the red or the white or both, it looks to be a paler green than most clover I've seen and all looks the same. Anyway, my hiefers are ignoring it. They're not eating the old clover either. I didn't completely re-do the pastures, just overseeded and mixed in some fescue and places that were bare before are covered with clover now.
Another thing I wondering. I've had them on grass only for about 4 weeks now. They, of course, got the 'green grass runs' and this is still going on. Is this normal?

I don;t recall which one, but one has a smooth stem and underleaf the other is fuzzy. Problem is it has to be pretty good sized before you can see the fuzz.

dun

hasbeen,,,,does the new clover your seeing get to 3 or 4 inchs in 6 weeks,if so its for sure the red clover as the white will be a lot slower getting up and growing early on but will gain good during the summer and fall....

salemhigh":2yccalxc said:
hasbeen,,,,does the new clover your seeing get to 3 or 4 inchs in 6 weeks,if so its for sure the red clover as the white will be a lot slower getting up and growing early on but will gain good during the summer and fall....

Yes, it does. It's a very pale colored green right now and so far I'm only seeing one variety of clover where I've sowed.

In my pastures, which are basically a fescue/clover mix, which the previous owners were kind enough and wise enough to have established several years ago. Their experience with fescue and endophyte taught them to mix clover, red and white, in the pastures to combat this. The clover also makes some good fall pasture and hay. Depending on amount of clover in field, I will spread with my fertilizer. Another local talked me into spreading lespedza with the fertilizer for when the cool season grasses quit growing due to heat. Around here the fescue looks like it won't make anything this year, and I hope the clover will come on good enough to make it worth baling the hay. Never a lack of things to learn, is there?
rick
rjr cattle

Checked the clover today. Red clover has a fuzy type appearance on the bottom of the leaves and stems, white doesn;t

dun