clipping heifer/bull vs show steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Betty

Reaction score
Posted this on a different board by mistake.
Last year we took calves to a fancy sale where cattle are bought for breeding as well as for show. We paid a guy to clip them and we thought he did a great job. However someone (who knows, who is super experienced) said that our "clip job" looked more like show steers than heifers/ bulls.
What's the difference?
This is on cattle with winter coats who have been brushed daily but not much in the way of rinsing -- it's pretty cold here for that. They'll have a final couple of baths and blow at the sale where there is a heated area.
Thanks!

I've never heard that. Usually animals are clipped to show their strengths and hide the weaknesses. For some people at sales, they like them to be 'rougher' clipped than all prettied up. Usually with bulls, people like to see the crest in the neck, so maybe your other fitter made the neck smooth? And with heifers, especially breeding heifers, some people like to make the hair on the back leg/butt region to be longer and blend more into the leg than a steer, where they usually make the hair straight on the leg then get really 'poofy' above the hock. (sorry, hard to explain that)

I agree. Most calves are clipped out to hide thier flaws and make those desirable points pop out. I learned how to clip form Mr. Kirk Steirwalt and he does everythign the same on heifers, bulls, steers, and cows. The only diffrence I personally do is my steers look more blocky when they are fitted out and my heifers i tend to round them off a touch to make them look more feminine. It's really all an oppnion game. Don't take it to harshly.

Latest posts