clipper recommendation

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
My kid's just started showing steers. Can anyone recommend an economical clipper? She's only got two more years of 4 H eligibility left so I don't need anything too fancy. Thanks.

Snider_Angus":34t3qoh1 said:
Andis AGC 2 speed. (blue, silver, maroon)

Ditto. I've got two sets. Love em. very versatile, durable, quiet, and functional. All around good set of clippers

Ryan

It depends.
Head= T-84 Andis
Neck= 5/8 in. Andis
Brisket= Medium Blending andis
Tail= T-84 Andis
Leg Hair with glue in it= Super Blocking

It all depends on how much experience you have. Professional Fitters use Super Block Most of the time. They rarely use the T-84 on anything but the face and tail.

I have a regular Blocking blade I use on the dogs, it doesn't have any protection against nicking them if they move, are the Super Blocking and Medium Blending blades the same way?

I think I have a 5/8". Guess I need to buy some blades and start experimenting, who knows, I may get something worth showing out of one of these cows. :lol2:

Medium blending blades are used for backdragging. They do not nick at all since the top blade is behind the bottom blade. SUper blocking is just ULTRA ULTRA sharp and is used to cut through glue. You wanna stay away from blocking blades at first till you gain a lot of experience.

Snider_Angus":pggj3ggg said:
Medium blending blades are used for backdragging. They do not nick at all since the top blade is behind the bottom blade. SUper blocking is just ULTRA ULTRA sharp and is used to cut through glue. You wanna stay away from blocking blades at first till you gain a lot of experience.

I can see that, cause that Blocking blade I have is very aggressive, you really have to be careful with it! :lol2: I never noticed the other two you mentioned until now, and haven't bought any blades in a couple of years, I wonder if those two were born out of that Blocking blade, they are basically the same?

By the way, I agree on the Andis products, I have the Ultra 2 speed clipper and all Andis ceramic blades, they last a long time, well worth the money. :banana:

Snider_Angus":1o3oqljd said:
Andis AGC 2 speed. (blue, silver, maroon)
i love these clippers.
or you could go a little more expencive and get the andis lightspeeds. they have 4 lights on the front that will really help with back and leg clipping.

a couple of guys were with me when i bought mine and they optted for the ones with the LED's. $5 more but i decided i didnt need a light. The Lightspeeds only have 1 speed. I like the AGC's cause they have 2 speeds and are SUPER quiet. great for doing the face because the blades don't make any noise.

RD-Sam":2tiawd6n said:
I was wondering what blades you use?

Depends on what body part....
head/tail- medium or t-84
neck- 5/8, or run a medium WITH the hair depending on how long the hair is
back/belly/body/legs/tail head- opti-blocking, x-blocking, super blocking, or blocking.

those are the one's i use.

Latest posts