clipper blades

Help Support CattleToday:

braunvieh

Reaction score
Does anyone else have trouble with blades not cutting when clipping heads? If I use my big clipmasters, they work great unless the blades are getting dull. But if I use a smaller clipper like Andis 2 speed, with a coarse or medium blade, it seems to clog on the hair (esp. when clipping head the first time and the hair is long) and then the blades won't cut at all. And this after I just sharpened the blades. Any ideas?

I've used "baby" clippers on heads, and I got rid of that idea after they got so dull you couldn't cut something unless you sawed them back and forth. Use the flatheads or somethin' close to that on the heads. Use sheep blades that cut real close if you can. If not, simply cut the head close as you can with the big 'uns and then trim with your small DULL ones afterwords. I do not recommend clipping with X or Super Blocking blades on the head. Too dangerous. Hope that helps. :)

Find someone around with a pair of Lister Star clippers. They are the best to clip heads with and leave no lines. ALSO make sure your hair is CLEAN! and DRY! if you have a fine tooth comb run it through the hair first.

its easier to use an x block, super blocking, or opti-block, for those really long course haired calves. but use a medium or t84 on the head. it does clog sometimes but don't push the balde down so far. clip it off in moderation.

I have found that the flathead blades to the best. I use a 10 or 15, depending on my mood and how sharp my blades are. I, too, find using a medium blade, or anything with the longer teeth gets clogged on the heads. Just too much getting drawn in by the longer teeth.

But the biggest key to clipping heads is what Snider_Angus said, make sure the hair is clean and dry. Makes a world of difference.

Ryan

Tightening the clippers sometimes helps them cut better, if you haven't already. Make sure you give them a bath beforehand, it makes a world of difference. Spray frequently while clipping and keep them well oiled. I have often though that my blades were dull when I really just needed to tune things up-an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Latest posts