Clipper Cords

Help Support CattleToday:

Cibster

Reaction score
I have to pair of Oster Shearmaster clippers. I was clipping bulls today and one of the cords was already kind of bad so I used tape to tape it into a position that it would work and while we were clipping the other one started shorting out. Seems like I have to replace these cords almost every two years. Sometimes yearly. Does anyone else have problems with these cords? When I put them away after using them I try not to have them be really pinched in the box. Does anyone know any tricks to help extend the life on them? Just curious. Thanks

I've never had problems with them. Maybe hang the clipper up, and let the cord dangle instead of wrapping it up?

I've never had problems with my clipper cords. Curious, do you wrap the chord around the clippers where it puts strain on connection part? Typically we loop ours and make sure that connection part is laying straight, never wrapped around the clippers itself.

We used to wrap the cords around, but always left the connection part straight out from the clippers. I always figured that was the reason the cords went bad so fast. Now I just set the clippers in the box and always lay the cords on top of the clippers. Sometimes I think the cases the clippers come in our almost too small from them so it naturally puts strain on the connection part of the cord. I found a website that sells the cords for only $10 so that's not too bad. Last time I bought them at the state fair from Sullivans I thought they were around $25 or $30.

Cibster":kqschm8e said:
I have to pair of Oster Shearmaster clippers. I was clipping bulls today and one of the cords was already kind of bad so I used tape to tape it into a position that it would work and while we were clipping the other one started shorting out. Seems like I have to replace these cords almost every two years. Sometimes yearly. Does anyone else have problems with these cords? When I put them away after using them I try not to have them be really pinched in the box. Does anyone know any tricks to help extend the life on them? Just curious. Thanks

I've replaced cords on most everything I have owned at some point. I buy the 10 or 15' extension cord and cut the receptacle end off and wire it into the tool. I have found the using a couple of layers of heat shrink where it connects to the tool helps stiffen and keeps it from binding.

Back when I was using Oster shears I would carry 2 sets of shears and 4 replacement cords. That way when one cord broke I still had a back up and would Chang the cord that night after I was done gov the day. If you do much shearing at all make those Osters a backup and buy a set of Premier 4000's. After a day of running the Premiers you'll wonder why you hadn't bought them sooner. I'm on my 3rd set of premiers and that will be the only brand I'll ever run again. Btw in an average year I'd shear several thousand head.

Latest posts