Clear trees for pasture or restore a pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

lead_dog

Reaction score
I may have an option to buy 50 acres adjoining me which is all trees (mainly scrub pine and sweet gum), or to buy 50 acres on the other side which is 60% pasture, but VERY run down and completely overgrazed (think hardwood floor).

The one that is current pasture will cost me twice as much as the one that is wooded.

The question is, would you rather buy the cheaper (wooded) one, clear it and plant pasture, or pay more for the poor pasture one and restore it? The use is to run beef cattle.

if it was me an i had the money or could pay for it.id buy both pastures.one place will cost you to doze an clean up.an then youll have to plant it all in grass.the other just needs tobe replanted.the choice is up to you wich place you want.an how much your willing to spend to estb the pasture.

the big question is: which side would you rather not have a trailer park on?

you could get the wooded area for less and clean it up some, leaving some good trees for timber value later on and shade. plant some bahia?

the pasture would be easier to fix up but you would have to pay more for the land.

its just one of those decisions you have to weigh both sides and figure out what you would prefer. in the long run they will come out about even...

but you better get all the land you want/can pretty quick.

If you can swing it at all, buy them both, been there and lost out and regretting it almost daily.

Cabo":1wj8also said:
If you can swing it at all, buy them both, been there and lost out and regretting it almost daily.

Mr. Cabo is a prime example of excellent advice. I'm waiting to buy 96 Acres that joins us.May be paying the note for several years, but think of it as a Chess Board.

yeah, I agree...land ain't getting any cheaper, especially here within a couple of hours of Atlanta. It'll just keep going up.

Figure $800 - $1000 extra to clear, lime and plant something on the woodland to get it in full production. I agree with others about getting it all if possible but again you can only do what you can do.

If you only buy one you'll regret it. Buy them both even if you have to go into hock.

I hope I can, but with the trees lot going for $3,000 per acre and the other one starting at $4,000-$5,000, it gets tough after a while to have it all!

lead_dog":3id0ubep said:
I hope I can, but with the trees lot going for $3,000 per acre and the other one starting at $4,000-$5,000, it gets tough after a while to have it all!

I've wishy washied on land and have come to regret it within a year or 2. Even if you have to go into hock, at least you should have the appreciation value of the land if you should have to sell it.

dun":1mmqoizi said:
lead_dog":1mmqoizi said:

I've wishy washied on land and have come to regret it within a year or 2. Even if you have to go into hock, at least you should have the appreciation value of the land if you should have to sell it.
I have to agree with Dun. I've always regretted not buying the land adjoining me when it comes up for sale. I've about decided that when it takes more than a day to walk to my neighbor I can start backing off buying land. Crunch the numbers and do without something else.

$3k/ac isn't that bad, my neighbor wants $9k/ac and it looks like fecal matter. i had a similar situation except with 10 acres, ended up buying it so no one would build trailers behind me. it's all trees. great for deer hunting.

I agree with your posts. I've bought real estate many times and, in the long run, you NEVER regret it. You do in the short run sometimes as people are now finding out, but this is a VERY LONG lifetime play for me.

Sorry to be naive, but since I haven't done it, what is involved with taking a 50 acre scrub pine lot and converting it to pasture? The pine is worthless, as it's volunteer and only about 10 years old. VERY thick.

I have been in the same situation that others. Not buying next to me. The advice if you buy the woods planning on pasture don't leave trees they eat up plant food and produce no beef', also take time going around breaks glass out of the tractors. If there is good timber it will pay for clearing and seeding. I have cleared about 60% of my pasture it cost me from 250 to 3,800 an acre to get into grass. And all my tree hugging neighbors being mad at me.
We have loggers coming next week to log off 80 acres hope it will pay fuel and seed to get in grass.

Latest posts