Cleaning a tractor diesel tank

Help Support CattleToday:

Take it off completely and was out through the filler. Alternatively keep filling allow to settle and siphon from the bottom using the siphon hose like a vacuum cleaner.

Ken

Drain the tank, pour a little diesel back in trying to stir the bottom. Pressurize the tank with a rag and air hose to push the gunk out. Repeat till it looks good.

Their is a drain valve in the bottom of the tank. However I don't remember how easy it is to get to. Just draining may clear the gunk.

Thanks. Im trying to finish up a few things before I tear in to removing the whole tank. I poured some stuff in the tank, ran it a couple days, and pumped it out with a big sprayer pump and a 1/2" hose.

I replaced both filters and used a clear one for the in line filter so I could see what its catching.

Have yall taken that fitting out of the side of the tank that holds the down pipe and float? Is it just a half turn deal and it pulls out? Guessing it has a gasket of some sort behind it?

Hind site I should have unscrewed that whole pick out when it clogged and then blew it out on the ground. The way I did it I blew what ever was in it back in to the tank.

you'll get the best results by removing it completely and ideally you'd steam clean it, though a pressure washer could do the job

Nesikep":6uuje6qf said:
you'll get the best results by removing it completely and ideally you'd steam clean it, though a pressure washer could do the job

Agreed and also run a can of biocide through it once a year. The chunks/gunk is probably algae.

BigBear":30vyf3so said:
Nesikep":30vyf3so said:

Agreed and also run a can of biocide through it once a year. The chunks/gunk is probably algae.
Algae was my problem.

I am adding that about once a month now. I am algae paranoid now.

51qQOQsW3TL._SX385_.jpg

I just bought some algecide. cost an arm and a darned leg, little 4 ounce bottle was nearly $40 but it treats 500 gallon.
I know my truck has goop in the tank, and the farm fuel tank probably does as well

My hay bailing man showed me there is a sump plug and petcock on the bottom of the tank you can reach if you stick your hand up thru the frame. I tried gently turning on it but it didn't budge. Im going to finish up some things I need to and then get it in the barn so if I break some thing its easy to work on and won't put me in a bind. Hopefully I can wash the tank out thru there and get new parts on it so it can be drained regularly.

Brute 23":1sx8nn4z said:
My hay bailing man showed me there is a sump plug and petcock on the bottom of the tank you can reach if you stick your hand up thru the frame. I tried gently turning on it but it didn't budge. Im going to finish up some things I need to and then get it in the barn so if I break some thing its easy to work on and won't put me in a bind. Hopefully I can wash the tank out thru there and get new parts on it so it can be drained regularly.

Between now and when you get it back to the barn, spray the petcock every time you think about it with penetrating oil. May not help but definitely won't hurt.

JMJ Farms":1vr21cb0 said:
Brute 23":1vr21cb0 said:

Between now and when you get it back to the barn, spray the petcock every time you think about it with penetrating oil. May not help but definitely won't hurt.

Good idea. Thanks :tiphat:

Nesikep":2i2yjlcc said:
I just bought some algecide. cost an arm and a darned leg, little 4 ounce bottle was nearly $40 but it treats 500 gallon.
I know my truck has goop in the tank, and the farm fuel tank probably does as well

I spoke with my fuel supplier, and he assured me that they use the good additives (apparently they have several to chose from) and I do not need to add lube or algecide. What do you think?

Brute 23":37qtd9wg said:
My hay bailing man showed me there is a sump plug and petcock on the bottom of the tank you can reach if you stick your hand up thru the frame.

My last project tractor had this. I ran a wire up into it initally to get it to drain. The gunk came out thick and dark gray. Did this each time, after I had after used the tractor, and refilled the sump, till it ran red. I think you can get away with a lot more with the older tractors which have more and larger fuel filters in series (my record is four), and courser filtration on the primary.

Stocker Steve":677efeqz said:
Nesikep":677efeqz said:

I spoke with my fuel supplier, and he assured me that they use the good additives (apparently they have several to chose from) and I do not need to add lube or algecide. What do you think?

BS.. you need lube for sure, not sure about algecide.

Stocker Steve":3p8lgkm3 said:
Nesikep":3p8lgkm3 said:

I have several 300 gallon tanks. Minimum order out is 500 gallons which can last me a year and a half to two years these days. I remember having to clear a line years ago on a tractor that came from the northwest. I don't add anything and haven't had problems. I do realize our climates are quite different. Might have some effect.

I'd say listen to your supplier.....if it can be trusted.

Stocker Steve":3itdqjxv said:
Brute 23":3itdqjxv said:
My hay bailing man showed me there is a sump plug and petcock on the bottom of the tank you can reach if you stick your hand up thru the frame.

My last project tractor had this. I ran a wire up into it initally to get it to drain. The gunk came out thick and dark gray. Did this each time, after I had after used the tractor, and refilled the sump, till it ran red.
Yep, my Case backhoe has one...way up there and running the wire in always gets me a gunk/diesel soaked arm..then, once it's running clear, you still have to reach up and close the petcock. fun fun

Latest posts