Civil war

Help Support CattleToday:

chrisy":3kaaqg7n said:
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/02/the-civil-war-part-1-the-places/100241/

I found this very interesting hope you do to, Mr Ryder I know you will.

enjoy :heart: Chrisy
Thanks for posting Chrisy.
Once again these pictures show some of the horror of that terrible war.
Mankind still has not learned.
They also remind some of us why, "Hail no, we ain't fergettin'.

Ryder":2b6t1ruy said:
chrisy":2b6t1ruy said:
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/02/the-civil-war-part-1-the-places/100241/

I found this very interesting hope you do to, Mr Ryder I know you will.

enjoy :heart: Chrisy
Thanks for posting Chrisy.
Once again these pictures show some of the horror of that terrible war.
Mankind still has not learned.
They also remind some of us why, "Hail no, we ain't fergettin'.
You never have to forget. Just hope it never happens again. 600,000 AMERICANS blown to he!! and untold numbers ruined for life.

Both my great grandfathers fought for the Star's and Bar's, one in the only regiment from Texas that served under Lee for the entire war and was at every major battle with him. The Woodville Rifles they were one of the regiment's trying to take Little Round Top at Gettysburg. Six Thousand boys left East Texas and a little over 600 returned.

Major battles won and lost by the South

Fort Sumter Win
Harpers Ferry Win
Manassas Win

Pea Ridge Loss
Fort Donaldson Loss
Monitor vs. Virginia Tie
Peninsula Campaign Win
Seven Days Win
Manassas Win
Seven Pines Win
Shiloh Tie
Antietam Tie
Fredericksburg Win

Chancellorville Win
Vicksburg Loss
Gettysburg loss
Chickamauga Win
Chattanooga Loss

Wildness Win
Mobile Bay Loss
Atlanta Loss
Petersburg Loss
Nashville Loss

Five Forks Loss
Palmito Ranch Win

If I had been alive at that time, I really would have been torn about which side to fight on.....In my heart though, I think I would have gone Union. Their is no place in humanity for slavery...even though it is still taking place today as we type.

houstoncutter":vhfhby4r said:
If I had been alive at that time, I really would have been torn about which side to fight on.....In my heart though, I think I would have gone Union. Their is no place in humanity for slavery...even though it is still taking place today as we type.

Well we would have been looking at each other down a gun barrel.
It wasn't about slavery as there were plenty of slaves in states that fought for the Union. Maryland was one where Federal troops gunned down unarmed citizen's in the streets of Baltimore.
That war was fought over power and money just like all the rest.
Actually it wasn't a Civil War when the South ceded the Union they were not trying to replace the government in place governing the United States. They chose to have there own form of government. The North would not let the South leave the Union had they there would have never been a war. It is more acurately the War of Northern Aggression.

"The slave trade in particular was dominated by the northern maritime industry. Rhode Island alone was responsible for half of all U.S. slave voyages. The DeWolfs may have been the biggest slavers in U.S. history, but there were many others involved. For example, members of the Brown family of Providence, some of whom were prominent in the slave trade, gave substantial gifts to Rhode Island College, which was later renamed Brown University.

While local townspeople thought of the DeWolfs and other prominent families primarily as general merchants, distillers and traders who supported ship-building, warehousing, insurance and other trades and businesses, it was common knowledge that one source of this business was the cheap labor and huge profits reaped from trafficking in human beings.

The North also imported slaves, as well as transporting and selling them in the south and abroad. While the majority of enslaved Africans arrived in southern ports–Charleston, South Carolina was the largest market for slave traders, including the DeWolfs—most large colonial ports served as points of entry, and Africans were sold in northern ports including Philadelphia, New York, Boston, and Newport, Rhode Island.

The southern coastal states from Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia and Maryland were therefore home to the vast majority of enslaved persons. But there were slaves in each of the thirteen original colonies, and slavery was legal in the north for over two hundred years. While the northern states gradually began abolishing slavery by law starting in the 1780s, many northern states did not act against slavery until well into the 19th century, and their laws generally provided only for gradual abolition, allowing slave owners to keep their existing slaves and often their children. As a result, New Jersey, for instance, still had thousands of persons legally enslaved in the 1830s, and did not finally abolish slavery by law until 1846. As late as the outbreak of the Civil War, in fact, there were northern slaves listed on the federal census."

houstoncutter":30q4bqci said:

The slaves were freed some time after the war started. Check your dates. It wasn't about slavery unless you believe the history lies. A whole bunch of folks went to war who never owned slaves. Many were against slavery themselves. Gettysburg Address was November 19, 1863. 7 states declared secession before Lincoln took office March 4, 1861. January 1, 1863 is when the emancipation proclamation was finaled and delivered. (not before the war started)

Don't believe me. Check the dates and facts yourself. Read the hundreds of diaries folks wrote who lived in that day. History books continue to push reconstruction down our throats and the lies that go with it.

Caustic Burno":4s56bpnh said:
Both my great grandfathers fought for the Star's and Bar's, one in the only regiment from Texas that served under Lee for the entire war and was at every major battle with him. The Woodville Rifles they were one of the regiment's trying to take Little Round Top at Gettysburg. Six Thousand boys left East Texas and a little over 600 returned.

Major battles won and lost by the South

Fort Sumter Win
Harpers Ferry Win
Manassas Win

Pea Ridge Loss
Fort Donaldson Loss
Monitor vs. Virginia Tie
Peninsula Campaign Win
Seven Days Win
Manassas Win
Seven Pines Win
Shiloh Tie
Antietam Tie
Fredericksburg Win

Chancellorville Win
Vicksburg Loss
Gettysburg loss
Chickamauga Win
Chattanooga Loss

Wildness Win
Mobile Bay Loss
Atlanta Loss
Petersburg Loss
Nashville Loss

Five Forks Loss
Palmito Ranch Win
2 ggg grand fathers.. one fought with 24th GA.... the other 18th AL volunteers just found his grave a few months ago,, across the TN river.. wounded at Cickamauga

My GGGrandDad was with Cobb's Legion, Company B from Georgia, He lost a leg in the battle of South Mountain. I have his old rifle he had when he came home.

The reason some of us will not forget is that the fiction story of the war being fought over slavery
still abounds.
The institution of slavery was coming to an end. It was dying a slow but peaceful death.
Pres. Davis was opposed to slavery. His brother had a program to train slaves to be self supporting and free them once that could fend for themselves, but the yankees put a stop to that.
Gen. Lee was opposed to the institution of slavery. He left the federal military, although he had been offered command of that military, to defend his homeland, The Soverign State of Virginia.

Look at the pictures Chrisy posted. That terrrible war resulted in dead and mangled bodies of union troops as well as southern. Does anyone really think that those soldiers went through that in order to free slaves?
A study of Lincoln, in context, will show that he changed his mind on the slavery issue every time the wind changed. Just like a lot of politicians today.
He made war on the soverign nation of the Confederate States of America. He wanted to hold those states in the union for power, not for the Negro, for power. He was a politician.

Does anyone think the carnage in the south--the dead, wounded, sick, mules and livestock killed, crops destroyed, buildings ravaged and burned, ear rings ripped out of the ears of Southern women on the streets of New Orleans--made life any better for the Negro? They got just as hungry as whites when there was no food.
Sherman's march of destruction---just whose life did it make better? I can't think of anyone it benefitted other than self-serving politicians and the yankee carpetbaggers.

A war fought over slavery? I don't think so.

Nowland Farms said:
My GGGrandDad was with Cobb's Legion, Company B from Georgia, He lost a leg in the battle of South Mountain. I have his old rifle he had when he came home.[/quote] man.. my maternal GGG grandad was in the same infantry the 24th GA ..CO I ,, with R.R Cobb.. my avatar is the flag of the 24th

Ryder":ocn8zinp said:
The reason some of us will not forget is that the fiction story of the war being fought over slavery
still abounds.
The institution of slavery was coming to an end. It was dying a slow but peaceful death.
Pres. Davis was opposed to slavery. His brother had a program to train slaves to be self supporting and free them once that could fend for themselves, but the yankees put a stop to that.
Gen. Lee was opposed to the institution of slavery. He left the federal military, although he had been offered command of that military, to defend his homeland, The Soverign State of Virginia.

Look at the pictures Chrisy posted. That terrrible war resulted in dead and mangled bodies of union troops as well as southern. Does anyone really think that those soldiers went through that in order to free slaves?
A study of Lincoln, in context, will show that he changed his mind on the slavery issue every time the wind changed. Just like a lot of politicians today.
He made war on the soverign nation of the Confederate States of America. He wanted to hold those states in the union for power, not for the Negro, for power. He was a politician.

Does anyone think the carnage in the south--the dead, wounded, sick, mules and livestock killed, crops destroyed, buildings ravaged and burned, ear rings ripped out of the ears of Southern women on the streets of New Orleans--made life any better for the Negro? They got just as hungry as whites when there was no food.
Sherman's march of destruction---just whose life did it make better? I can't think of anyone it benefitted other than self-serving politicians and the yankee carpetbaggers.

A war fought over slavery? I don't think so.

You are so right Ryder. It is simply amazing that the brainwashing has persisted for well over 100 years. Lincoln did not abolish slavery for all states.

The Civil War is one of my favorite topics. Lots of good men died on both sides of that terrible conflict. I had two gg grandfathers fight in that war. They both fought for the south but were polar opposites in background. One was considered somewhat wealthy at that time. He owned 18 slaves. He was an officer in Forrest's cavalry 4th Tennessee Reg. and lost his leg to a cannon ball while sitting astride his horse. He was sent home to recuoperate. He was hung from a tree in front of his house by the Union forces occupying that area of Tennessee. Ironically his slaves cut him down after the Union guys left him for dead. He survived to re-marry after his wife died and father 4 more children.

My other gg grandpa was a regular in the Maury Grays. He participated in several major battles including Shiloh, Chicamauga, Kennesaw, Cemetery Ridge, Atlanta, Franklin and Murfreesboro. He was from a dirt poor family that share cropped and raised hogs just scraping by. He didn't own a single slave. He fought because he was loyal to his state first and did not believe in the federal government usurping the rights of the states.

I go to as many CW battlefields that I can. I love going to Shiloh. I swear that place is haunted. Not kidding. If you go during the week around April when it is not crowded and sit on a bench out by Bloody Pond you can close your eyes and hear sounds of the battle. You can hear men yelling and men screaming in pain along with the sounds of cannon fire. It is not loud but it sounds very distant and feint. It will give you chills.

As in most wars, which side the guys packing the rifles and getting killed fight for depended on where you lived. The politians say that those guys are bad and we need to fight. The politians on the other side say those guys are bad and we need to fight. Of course you notice that the politians from either side aren't out in front carrying the flag or packing a rifle.

Three out of four of my grand parents came to this country after 1910. One grand father had family here dating back into the 1700's or earlier. There was a great great uncle in that part of the family who died at Vicksberg. He was fighting for the Union but then the family was from a farm in Illinios so his side was picked for him.

I agree with Hoss. About the feeling of a battle field being haunted. I have only been to that part of the world one time. I got a chance to go to Gettysburg all by myself. It was a hot July day. I walked out where Lee rode out to meet the men coming back from Pickett's charge. Looking across that open ground to the union line. It definately put chills up my spine.

Yep....many fighting were not slave owners. Many on the other side were not slave owners either. yet they were asked to kill each other and many didn't have a clue what the fighing was all about other than one lived in the south and the other one in the north. Sometimes that was little more than the south and north side of the same ridge or river. Folks that had been friends all their lives. That's the bad part about a "civil war". You're killing your fellow countrymen in spite of the few differences the individuals had and as said the politicians sit fat and pretty in the two capitals thinking they're going to be the next Alexander the Great. There were no winners in those battles. One side just retreated before the other one did or they disengaged by mutual agreement to live to fight another day. And all America got out of it was two generations pretty much lost and phase one of a welfare state put in place. Now send us the free shyt, although ours didn't get the news until June teenth, 1865.

You can blame the war between the states on whatever you wish..fact is there was no winner.

I have a view. Lincoln knew how much the north, west of the Appalachians, needed the Mississippi River. Railroads were new technology, unproven. Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, etc. had no market for their goods if they couldn't get those goods to New Orleans. Lincoln had floated a load of goods to NOLA as a young man. Like today, the Midwest produced more than it had people to consume, and the Appalachians were a huge barrier to the consumers in the east. Imagine a CSA levying a tariff on every barge going down that river. Economic disaster for the Union States.
Now, r.e. slavery. A war needs an emotional trigger. The battleship Maine, the Lusitania, Pearl Harbor. There were plenty of abolitionists in the North. Nowhere near a majority, but enough to dominate the media and keep the issue always in the public eye. So in that sense you can say slavery triggered the war.
The reconstruction period was shameful, there is no way around that.

And to this day you have to be half drunk and have an exit strategy(I may or may not know from experiance :hide: ) to suggest that it was really all about states rights and politics as aposed to slavery.
I like the version I was taught in gradeschool where it was so easy to tell who the badguys were.

Latest posts