CIDRs

Help Support CattleToday:

I've probably A'I'ed 10,000 heads of CIDR'ed cattle over the years at different places with varying results. Some observations I've made are
!. Follow the protocol precisely-don't breed 12 hours late or mistime the intervals between shots due to other issues. Devote the time after CIDR removal to A'I'ing
2. use accurate syringes-too much or none of the synch drugs doesn.t work
3.Be very clean-wash and rinse your CIDR gun between cows
4.Have facilitries that a large number of cattle can be run through without alot of stress
5. Make sure the cattle are in adequate condition to breed-CIDR's are a management tool not a wonder drug
6. Buy your semen from me at Genex lol- This last one was a shot at shameless self promotion

Northern Rancher
I agree with everything you stated compleatly, too many people think they can get good results with cidrs in poor condition cows. Now about the Genex thing LOL.

SW Montana almost into ID. Yes very nice udders on your Hereford. That is the biggest reason we don't cross herefords in our commercial herd.

Good post with lots of opinions, I agree with Northen Ranchers post. If your cows are not in good condition and nursing a calf, then the first thing to go is the embyro.... no matter what type of breeding program you are on.

I used CIDRs for the first time last year, with a timed heat synch, all cows no heifers. I think I did pretty well, due date is the 26th, I have 2 bulls on the ground and think I should be at an 80% success rate.

As far as the cost, I think $20 for CIDRs and drugs is right, add $15 to $40 for semen. So it boils down to what your time is worth ... no matter how many cows you plan to use CIDRs on.

This is what I did last June. I synch this way: Day 1 - 2cc Fertagyl, insert CIDR. Day 7 - 5cc Lutalyse, pull CIDR. 60 hrs, +/- 6hrs AI. So the question is how much time ($) did I spend sending the cattle through the chute 3 times in 8 or 9 days? For me it was worth it for genitic improvment, but if I had to do 100 head ..... maybe not, maybe yes..... For Star Lake, I think they would with out a second thought.

Alan

I've found theres about 10hrs labour for every hundred head total in a CIDR program-I have bred up to 250 in a day but a 100 at a time seemsto work the best. Another thing to consider is having a back up A'I tech-a broken arm two head in on a big synch day can derail a program.