reusing cidrs

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve

Reaction score
Looking around eBay last night and saw used cidrs for sale, my question is can you reuse cidrs if their washed good and how many times can they be used?

I would think a real good rinse would be enough. I have never seen used ones for sale, but I would be hesTaynt to buy them.

The farm where I used to work would reuse the Cidrs one time within the same herd. It never was a problem. BUT I don't know that I would buy used cidrs, from any source.

Katherine

I have never used them on cattle but have used hundreds in sheep before. I always used them twice I would take them out and put them right back in another ewe. I don't think I would buy used ones though. I would just buy a pack of new ones and start from there. I have heard that if u take them out after one use u can put them in a zip lock bag a put them in the freezer until u need them.

theres 19 days of product on the end of the cidr, you can reuse once and a third time on recips if you want to. Only use water to clean I use a tooth pick to clean the little holes, let them dry and rebag. The second use works well on heifers there not as stiff, I don't think id use them in different herds.

We resuse them twice, so three inserts total. We wash with Novasan, soak in a bucket for an hour or so, then air dry really well. Store in a plastic 1 gallon zip lock bag with date on the bag, and if that was use one or two. We do not use a bunch of them, and have never had a problem with getting cows to cycle on them the third time.

cidrs can be reused , wash with warm water , let dry on a towel , bag them in a zip lock bag or a seal tite container , like tupperware, use 2nd time on recips or to sync heifers , always use a new cidr on a donor cow ,

When I went through AI class a few years ago, select sires, the instructor covered reusing CIDR's a said exactly what all of you have said. But he also said to freeze them between uses, any thoughts?

I would never buy a used CIDR, they're only about $10 for a new one, STD's?

Repro guys at the vet school told me that there's enough progesterone in the ones marketed in the USA for two uses; that's what we do with them. Kris, if you're getting 3 rounds out of 'em, good for you - but I'll just pitch mine after the second round.
They told us to just rinse/scrub 'em with water - no soap, as it can remove some of the progesterone. Sometimes I'll run 'em through the dishwasher on a short cycle without any detergent. A dip in Nolvasan is probably in order, as we've had some develop a pretty funky vaginitis - and I've seen a report that using Nolvalube(OB lube with Nolvasan in it) to lube 'em up at insertion can lead to increased conception rates, as it diminishes the incidence of vaginitis.
I have access to a large autoclave at work, so usually autoclave the cleaned, used CIDRs - and supposedly, autoclaving 'brings more progesterone to the surface'.

Lucky, we do not use them enough to get a good feel for the third round, but we have never had problems with heats. I have to be honest to, lots of times I lose track of if it was a first or second insert, so I just toss it if I am not sure. Better to be safe than sorry! We try to just go off of natural heats, we get way better conceptions that way. But if we are trying to sinc a bunch for that first breeding in the fall (Thanksgiving usually), then we will set it up in all cycling recips and cows for AI.

Latest posts