Chopping Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":1ra6q3f5 said:
It would take some very extensive research to determine all those "what ifs". We're talking bacteria working in a microscopic environment. All I'm saying is that just because you see what appears to be a long piece of hay in the manure it does not mean that the digestible nutrients have not been completely utilized by the animal. What you're looking at would not have been digested even if it had been ground into dust particles. We're talking billions of bacteria and enzymes that live only hours yet multiply constantly. You may do a few things to maximize rumen health but that's about it. Chopping hay simply makes it easier for a cow to get a mouthful. Don't know if that would offset the expense of buying or making feedbunks or fenceline feeders or not.
Research; I don't know that you could find any. If there was it would no doubt be done by the people selling the grinders. If there had been any done that showed a positive I would think they would be all over it for marketing purposes. The fact the sellers don,t have any of this in their marketing ought to tell you something.
Like I said, cows grind their own feed. They come equipped.

the neighbor uses a bale processor to chop his hay only-silage bales-and alfalfa,a tub grinder mixer, needs at least a 100hsp tractor, and it grinds the hay, but you have tomix other feedstuff in with it to make a ration

novatech":9ox971si said:
A couple of years ago we were in drought, not as bad as this years but still drought. A couple of counties away a cattleman was buying cattle taking advantage of the prices because of sell outs. He bought hay, had it tested, ground it and added the proper protein and mineral. It was fed in bunks just like any feed lot system. The man made money.

Only reason to burn up time and fuel this way is that you have limited quantity and low quality and want to limit feed.
Cat tails or corn stalks may be just the ticket.

Stocker Steve":5h8wgqhk said:
novatech":5h8wgqhk said:
A couple of years ago we were in drought, not as bad as this years but still drought. A couple of counties away a cattleman was buying cattle taking advantage of the prices because of sell outs. He bought hay, had it tested, ground it and added the proper protein and mineral. It was fed in bunks just like any feed lot system. The man made money.

Only reason to burn up time and fuel this way is that you have limited quantity and low quality and want to limit feed.
Where have I been?? Completely forgot about the cat tails. :lol2:

TexasBred":1c0ivz3v said:
Where have I been?? Completely forgot about the cat tails. :lol2:[/quote]

Cattails are an awesome perennial crop. Much lower inputs that corn!!!

Stocker Steve":1si6v1yp said:
TexasBred":1si6v1yp said:
Where have I been?? Completely forgot about the cat tails. :lol2:

Cattails are an awesome perennial crop. Much lower inputs that corn!!![/quote]

But still have a fault of needing an abundance of moisture.... :D

Latest posts