Fence line hay feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

scvfd_7241

Reaction score
Just wanted to post a picture of the fence line hay feeder panel I made to feed free choice hay, or other similar feeds for my feedlot. It's 16 feet long with 11 feed slots. How many feed slots is recommended when feeding free choice hay or such?

Attachments

• 20210219_140153.jpg
    20210219_140153.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 58
I will say i have 3 feed bunks on the fenceline for 45 ft and 25 cows is maxed out.. But it is open at the head.. I think it would help tighten up having the bars like them gates.. Not sure if this will help on your numbers or not but nice feeder

Looks very solid, is that 50x50mm SHS. What wall thickness did you use?

Ken
This was built out of 2.5 x 2.5 inch square tubing that's 12ga.wall thickness. It is built from seconds of carport tubing from a local carport manufacturer. Thanks i hope they work good.

I will say i have 3 feed bunks on the fenceline for 45 ft and 25 cows is maxed out.. But it is open at the head.. I think it would help tighten up having the bars like them gates.. Not sure if this will help on your numbers or not but nice feeder
Thanks, is that mature cows on your numbers, I should have said I'm planning to feed 500 to 800 lb calves.

Yes that is 24 moms and 1 bull.. With being open bull takes up 2.. The 24 moms calved this winter so all were fat as can be at feeder.. Looks to me like you have plenty of room.. Maybe for more.. What inch are they apart?

Yes that is 24 moms and 1 bull.. With being open bull takes up 2.. The 24 moms calved this winter so all were fat as can be at feeder.. Looks to me like you have plenty of room.. Maybe for more.. What inch are they apart?
There is 13 inches in between each one. I went by plans on one of the university websites, I think UT or NDSU.

Looks nice. If possible try and create a method of "holding" the hay/bale along the fenceline. I have just a hint of slope away from the feeder (I thought it would be wise for drainage) but it is just enough that the cows will push the bale over and out of reach.

I'm actually thinking of either pouring a concrete "pan" or building on a psuedo bunk to help prevent that. But that may be a me only problem.

Looks nice. If possible try and create a method of "holding" the hay/bale along the fenceline. I have just a hint of slope away from the feeder (I thought it would be wise for drainage) but it is just enough that the cows will push the bale over and out of reach.

I'm actually thinking of either pouring a concrete "pan" or building on a psuedo bunk to help prevent that. But that may be a me only problem.
Thanks for the info, I plan to put 2 panels with a gate on one end and open to place bales in from the other end, so if the hay is pushed it will still be accessible from the other side. But I will not have to enter the pasture or open a gate to feed.

Latest posts