Grinding/processing hay

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
What's the absolute smallest you can grind it and what are y'all using? I'm trying to find something I can grind hay down to 1" or smaller. Needs to flow through a bulk feeder in a heavy grain ration.

A grinder mixer can do that. I have a New Holland 357 ( I think that number is right). I have ground square bale hay through it before but it is kinda slow go. Not sure how much your needing to do.

PM me tomorrow night if I forget to reply, but I can give you the screen size I used in the past for grinding grass hay.

I have a new holland 354 it's too small for what I'm needing. Going through 2 tons a day preconditioning calves. I want to get a vertical mixer but I need the hay to be able to get down that small to flow through bulk feeders

A vertical mixer will grind it pretty fine, but they are not all that timely about it. Square bales or pre-chopped rounds process a lot quicker. It would take 15-20 minutes for our vertical mixer to process a round fescue bale just down to where it would run through the gate.

I don't know if you'll ever get hay to flow through a gravity feeder, if that's what you mean buy a bulk feeder.

From what I've seen a vertical mixer will not get hay fine enough to flow through a self feeder. I'm not sure a bale grinder would either. A hammer mill, grinder/mixer is the only thing I know that will grind that fine. That's why it takes so long.

Latest posts