choosing a breed

Help Support CattleToday:

2manyhorses

Reaction score
Hi, new here. Have just finished fencing in most of the "back 40" and trying to determine which breed(s) to pursue. We are in N. Va., which is totally dominated by Blk. Angus. Could go with the flow and do Angus, Angus X, or try something different and go with a more exotic, leaner breed, seeking the niche market. The local demographics suggest that such a product would be well accepted. However, many of the leaner breeds (Piedmontese, Limousin, etc.) either have a reputation as "aggressive" or are notorious for calving difficulty. Grew up with Polled Herefords and am comfortable with docile, easy- calvers.
Does anyone have experience with "Laura's Lean Beef"? Is it better to develop your own clientele via www? At what point do you stop profiting...deliver the frozen product to the clients' door, sell with a recommendation of slaughterhouse? Would appreciate any and all advice, suggestions, experiences that will help us decide which route to take.
Many thanks,
Joan

Welcome.

If you like Herefords, and Angus dominates, put an Angus bull on a herd of Hereford cows, or the other way around, and you will have black baldies that should consistently sell near the top of the market. If you choose the right genetics, you will be able to qualify for either Certified Angus Beef or Certified Hereford Beef. There are some top notch Hereford outfits in your state and area of the country. Knoll Crest Farm comes to mind off hand. Great operation IMO.

Good to see another Virginia Breeder,

The advice from greenwillow is on the money if you plan to sell at the local stock market (Winchester, FrontRoyal) because the buyers there tend to favor the black cattle. There is another option that may suit, may want to look into the F1 females, The commercial market is strong and there is a demand for these females. Some of the crosses to consider would be as greenwillow said the black angus x polled herford or the charolais x red angus cross. Both of these will do very well in that area. If this is an avenue you wish to persue contact the Va. Cattlemens asso there in Berryville or one of the state breed asso. Best of luck.

Greenwillow, I was raised up with Knoll Crest bunch, good folks, Our home place is across the road from them. They now breed not only hereford but angus, and gelbveigh also.

Lngvew":3odhzasy said:
Good to see another Virginia Breeder,

The advice from greenwillow is on the money if you plan to sell at the local stock market (Winchester, FrontRoyal) because the buyers there tend to favor the black cattle. There is another option that may suit, may want to look into the F1 females, The commercial market is strong and there is a demand for these females. Some of the crosses to consider would be as greenwillow said the black angus x polled herford or the charolais x red angus cross. Both of these will do very well in that area. If this is an avenue you wish to persue contact the Va. Cattlemens asso there in Berryville or one of the state breed asso. Best of luck.

Greenwillow, I was raised up with Knoll Crest bunch, good folks, Our home place is across the road from them. They now breed not only hereford but angus, and gelbveigh also.

They have some of the best carcass and growth Herefords out there from what I've seen. They had a Hereford bull some months back that they were advertising that he marbled in the very top even when compared head to head with their Angus bulls. KCF Bennett was his name, but I can't remember which Bennett he was. There are more than one with that name, but the number behind the name is different.

Of course, being a Simmental breeder, I have to throw in my 2 cents.
Simmental/Angus crosses are becoming extremely popular.

Simmental is the number 1 continental breed for Calving Ease, Weaning Wt, %Choice, Carcass Weight, Post Wean gain, Shere Force, Feed Efficiency by Wt Gain, Feed Eff by Marbling, Feed Eff by Retail Product, % Puberty, and Maternal Calving Ease.
Angus is the number 1 british breed for Calving Ease, WW, Carcass Wt, Post Wean Gain, # of Retail Product, Shear Force, Feed Eff by Marb, and Maternal Wean Wt.

Based on MARC report #22.

Simmental sires now calve easier than Herefords & comparable to Angus (within 2%) when used on cows. (based on MARC)
Simmental will improve yield by 3/4 of a grade over Angus (MARC) No other breed grows faster to weaning (MARC). Simmental females wean heavier calves than any Continental or British breed (MARC)

The American Simmental Assn has the first Tenderness EPDs in the industry.

With these results, the solution is simple - breed the best continental breed to the best british breed. You can keep them all black.

Well, Guest 25, PM me & I posted there, but I went back & copied it:

Actually, this is a printed promo flyer by American Simmental Assn. I have visited the MARC site, and cannot make heads or tails out of their info.
All the "placings" is documented as Data from MARC Report 22. I called ASA and asked for a copy but have not received it as yet.
But, in this world of lawsuits, I can bet the info is accurate.

It also shows that Simmental is 2nd in Pounds of Retail Product, Feed Eff by Days, % Pregnant & Maternal Wean Weight. Angus is 2nd in % Choice, Feed Eff by Wt Gain, Feed Eff by Retail Product, Feed Eff by Days, % Puberty, and Maternal Calving Ease.
So out of 15 catagories, Simmental & Angus stand 1st or 2nd - except 1 catagory - % Pregnancy - Simm is 2nd & Angus is 3rd.

I wanted a copy of the report, to see what the other breeds were that beat us in the few catagories.

But, Simmental and Angus compliment each other extremely well. We've know that for 30 years, and now there is getting more & more proof saying it.
In the purebred world, 1/2 Blood Simmental/Angus, registered out of top bloodlines are bringging more $$$ than some of the purebreds. Real hot item. Lots of top Angus breeders, like Rally Farm (angus) is breeding to Simmental for the 1/2 bloods. They are Registered with the Amer Simm Assn. as 1/2 blood. I know about Rally because they are using my bull's semen. Will breed all their cows that are not settled as of last week. Looking for the "club calf" market.
Big "feather" in our hat for them to use our bull - and I told them that. :D

Just my humble opinion, but if all the breeders in your area are raising angus there must be a reason for that. That may be what the market dictates or they may outperform the other breeds in your climate.

JB

fitz":1tuc2xam said:
It's the Market. Black hide cattle sell higher here.
If Angus are the top sellers in your area, you might want to stick with them. But I do like the idea of raising Black Baldies. They'd be my choice.

Crowderfarms,

I didn't say I had Angus. There's not one on the place. I just said the black hide was bringing more at the stockyard in reference to J Baxter's post.

fitz":urysl0gc said:
Crowderfarms,

I didn't say I had Angus. There's not one on the place. I just said the black hide was bringing more at the stockyard in reference to J Baxter's post.
Precisely why I suggested sticking with Angus if they're popular in your area. I know from your post, that you presently don't own any cattle. Merely a suggestion, for a breed. BTW, I read your post in it's entirety.

I agree, Black Baldies would be a great choice. To clarify my last post: There's not one (Angus) on the place.

I believe Laura's Lean Beed does not take black cattle. I got "Breed Comparisons in the Germplasm Evaluation Program at MARC(Table 3)" at http://www.ansi.okstate.ed. That info will not confirm the simmental info of #1 unassisted birth% - ww - survival to wean % - marbling sc - retail product lb - nor much else other than they are big. They do have a tenderness EPD but GeneSTAR Tenderness Frequency has simmental waydown the list with only 55% 2 Star compared to 76% for angus and 87% for Pinzgauer. My choice of the best continental breed would be Pinzgauer and the MARC data will bear that out.

hello everyone, I'm new on here but have enjoyed this site for awhile now. I'll open a can of worms, fritz said that blacks sell well in VA. What about breeding black angus to a red or black Charolais?

id like to get a hold of one of them black charolais, see what their like. :D but ive only heard of them in Canada. no such luck any time soon.

have exportable semen on the only homozygous black Char bull that I know of anywhere. Had 40+ calves from him this spring this spring, all black but 2 greys. Can view some of our blacks on web site http://www.char-maineranching.com. None of this years calves yet, but soon. The ranchers with black cows absolutely love them. Took 4 black bulls to USA fall of 2002 they all wanted more, but like you said not for a while.

paul swisher":3uwpfyhk said:
I believe Laura's Lean Beed does not take black cattle. I got "Breed Comparisons in the Germplasm Evaluation Program at MARC(Table 3)" at http://www.ansi.okstate.ed. That info will not confirm the simmental info of #1 unassisted birth% - ww - survival to wean % - marbling sc - retail product lb - nor much else other than they are big. They do have a tenderness EPD but GeneSTAR Tenderness Frequency has simmental waydown the list with only 55% 2 Star compared to 76% for angus and 87% for Pinzgauer. My choice of the best continental breed would be Pinzgauer and the MARC data will bear that out.

Paul, the GPE report you are referring to is an OLD one, here is the most recent MARC report #22:
http://www.marc.usda.gov/cattle/gpe/GPE22.pdf
This is the report that my info was taken from. See tables 2 - 3 -5 -8 -9 - 10.
Everyone likes to "play with figures". I had been trying to get to this report and couldn't find it. I finally pinned someone down at ASA & got the site.
Hope this clarifies where my info was coming from. Our national assn. has published this info as a 4-page ad. With everyone wanting to sue everyone, I didn't think they would dare print something that wasn't backed up.

Latest posts