Chimney cleaning?

Help Support CattleToday:

LaneFarms

Reaction score
I need to clean my chimney and am thinking about trying some of the stuff you burn that breaks down the cresote. Has anyone used any of this stuff and does it work, or how do you clean yours?

Had a neighbor that used it for years- his chimney caught fire this year.
Firemen told him there's No replacement for mechanical cleaning

Pay a pro once a year. Not only will it get cleaned but also inspected for possible problems. The cost is less then your premiums on house insurance will go up if you have a chimney fire

yeah.

I just had one this past weekend and no damage to the house just the chimney.

Fire department asked me who insurance was with as they have to report it even if I don't file claim.

LaneFarms":3jpsqq7q said:
I need to clean my chimney and am thinking about trying some of the stuff you burn that breaks down the cresote. Has anyone used any of this stuff and does it work, or how do you clean yours?

Find my thread about almost burning down the house. It was a chimney fire. House is fine but I did call the fire department to come look at it. They said that they stuff you burn to break down the creosote only makes it worse. You can do it yourself, but it makes a terrible mess even if you try not to.

I think it best to just pay a pro to do it.

Yeah we have fireplaces down here. Its been so cold this winter I bet I've burnt 2 cords through it. I'm probably going to have a hard time finding someone to professionally clean my chimney since there is not alot of chimneys down here. Mine is just a round piece of flue pipe. Had a neighbor tell me to take the top off and get a long logging chain and drag it round and round to knock all the soot loose. I had a chimney fire last year that scared me half to death. I was at the barn and turned to see flames shooting out the top. Got a ladder and water hose and got on the roof and put it out. Anybody got an idea for doing it yourself.

AngusLimoX Its a fireplace insert in a mobile home, with a 8-10" diameter double wall chimney that is straight through the roof with a cap and spark catcher on it.

Once you have it clean, you should burn the fire hot hot hot for about 10-15 minutes twice a day. That helps to kind of cook the creosote (it becomes more of a poweder) and it will slough off the inside of the chimney and not build up. IIt's the low chimney heat that causes the creosote to build up to the point that it's dangrous

LaneFarms":1yk58szd said:
AngusLimoX Its a fireplace insert in a mobile home, with a 8-10" diameter double wall chimney that is straight through the roof with a cap and spark catcher on it.

Too easy.No black pipe to worry about.
Get yourself a chimney brush of the correct diameter and enough fibreglass rods to go the length of your chimney. Mine are 8 foot lengths.

Before you go up on the roof, close up your insert ( no fire going and cool! :lol: ) and if necessary place a drop sheet around it so no soot comes in your home.

Go up and take your spark cap off and push the brush down inside the chimney until your need to attach another rod, and keep going until you reach the firebox. Depending on how tight your brush fits you may be able to work it up and down as you go but I normally just make it a straight push and pull back up. After doing this once or maybe twice, take a look with a flashlight inside your shiny clean chimney.Good time to check for damage too.

Go back to the firebox and look see how much creosote you have pushed out. Over time this will give you an idea how often you have to clean it.

Make sure you burn good seasoned hardwood, some of it takes 2 years to be ready and keep it dry. What dun says about smouldering fires is also important, a small actively burning fire is better than a large smouldering one.

LaneFarms":2hdh3exr said:

Lane i use to have a set up like your's mine had a weather head on it that was held on with 3 screws just take them out open the damper brush it out.that is the way we did our's.

rattler

My husband and I do almost the same thing as AngusLimoX posted. Husband gets on the roof, I'm in the house at the 'base'. We use a wood-stove to heat the house. I remove the pipes coming out of the chimney/into the house/stove. I then take a hinged mirror and look up into the chimney while husband looks down to get a good look at things. Then the brushing begins. He brushes up and down as he adds lengths of rod. It doesn't take very long. Before he starts, I scoop out whatever is below the flu entrance.
Everything else gets sucked up by the shop-vac. As LimoX posted, then there's a nice shiny chimney when finished.

AND as dun posted, we burn hot,very hot, hot (up to 600 degrees on the pipe thermometer) several times throughout the day/evening. dun's right, the lower temperature burning contributes greatly to the build-up of creosote.

Generally in late summer we get everything ready for the fall. If we have a half-way mild winter, we pick a half-way warm day and let the fire die, take out the pipes and check the chimney part way through the winter. Usually everything is fine. Sometimes the pipes are a bit coated so I take them outside and bang 'em out and clean them up.

Katherine

cfpinz":24av4b61 said:
Yall have chimneys in Florida?

umm yeah duh...how do you think santa gits in..geeez..think about it

btw my chimney is 8'' pipe but not a strait shot. so how do i run the brush down it..i got a vermont castings stove ...

dieselbeef":1qayskf3 said:
cfpinz":1qayskf3 said:

btw my chimney is 8'' pipe but not a strait shot. so how do i run the brush down it..i got a vermont castings stove ...

You can also get the brushes in "pull through" style db, just drop a rope down and pull the brush through.

dieselbeef":1s0fg0b4 said:
cfpinz":1s0fg0b4 said:

:lol2:

DB Santa doesn't visit Cf so he doesn't know about the chimney thing.. ;-)

He just leaves the lump of coal on the front porch.. :p :wave:

Latest posts