Chicory In Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Chicory is a great forb for the soil. It is very deep rooted and will recycle nutrients from deep in the soil.

My cows and my horses love chicory. You will not find much chicory in fields under continuous grazing because the livestock will graze it into oblivion.

I have one old horse that will walk a new field to browse the chicory first.

I would think that there is the distinct possibility of chicory made for hay being at risk for being stemmy depending on when the hay is harvested. Well made spring hay should be fine but late made early summer hay will probably have stemmy leafless chicory.

pdfangus":1kqgepv7 said:
Chicory is a great forb for the soil. It is very deep rooted and will recycle nutrients from deep in the soil.

My cows and my horses love chicory. You will not find much chicory in fields under continuous grazing because the livestock will graze it into oblivion.

I have one old horse that will walk a new field to browse the chicory first.

I would think that there is the distinct possibility of chicory made for hay being at risk for being stemmy depending on when the hay is harvested. Well made spring hay should be fine but late made early summer hay will probably have stemmy leafless chicory.

I think you are correct. This was late hay. The chicory is like twigs.

Latest posts