Chickens???

Help Support CattleToday:

But farm raised chicken tastes so much better, so do the eggs. Especially from chickens that get to run outside and scratch and eat insects and grass etc.

My dad got rid of the chickens when all us kids left home....go figure lol.

Guess they aren't as much fun when your pluckers all quit hehe.

which is the tuffest breed of game chickens when it comes to making in the wild. i have killed 2 foxes that were after my chickens. would traps help or would more preditors come. do game chickens do good with raising there chicks. do they have lot of eggs.

I sure wish I knew....got two game chickens from a friend in WV (not Rose, LOL!) a couple of years ago...thought they'd be really tough, but not so....they didn't blend in with the chickens (bantams) running loose, one lost an eye but kept going for a while...foxes (or raccoons?) are smart, hard to foil them.

trin":y9xtuzz2 said:
which is the tuffest breed of game chickens when it comes to making in the wild. i have killed 2 foxes that were after my chickens. would traps help or would more preditors come. do game chickens do good with raising there chicks. do they have lot of eggs.
We've had Old English Games. They roost in trees but come Spring the Owls are rough on them.They are pretty tough birds.

The games that we have running loose right now are mostly Hatch but I have a few Aseels out there too. They seem to be the best at foraging and avoiding varmints but hawks and owls still get some of them. The best thing we ever did was to get the two Great Pyrenees pups and raise them at the barn. They bark at everything-we've been able to hold on to alot more poultry with them around. I even have one Coyote/Pyrenees pup that we raised at the barn too. A friend's Pyrenees got bred by a Coyote and he let her have the pups. The one we have actually looks like a thicker bodied Collie but she has a Coyote look to her face. She learned to protect the chickens and ducks too.

I thought that owls rip the heads off...? Found one like that a couple of years ago....a body, no head, what a waste.

Gale Seddon":3t5jlhse said:
I thought that owls rip the heads off...? Found one like that a couple of years ago....a body, no head, what a waste.

Bobcats rip the head and wings off and carry them off.

Owls just carry them off.

Racoons can get chickens that are in a pen inside another pen.

GMN,
You're probably talking about a weasel. Weasels and minks will tear into their heads and necks. Thay mostly want the blood, will leave the body.

Rustler9":1y5hl1mv said:
GMN,
You're probably talking about a weasel. Weasels and minks will tear into their heads and necks. Thay mostly want the blood, will leave the body.

Aren't skunks and weasels in the same family?

dun

Test of photo

buffs_bathing.JPG