What is killing my chickens?

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
So, our chickens have been disappearing one by one. We've had this group of 12 for a couple years, chicken coop door stays open 90% of the time they come and go as they please. Past month have been laying like crazy. Lost 4 in the past week. This morning in a hurry as usual, we see a dead one on the driveway a couple hundred yards from the house no time to check it out. Got home 930 this evening it's still there. Checked it out and immediately I'm thinking cougar. What do you guys think.

I did lock them in tonight and set a live trap by the coop with some chicken scraps from dinner. I just can't figure what would drag it that far and not eat it. Sorry about the cougar comment also, I know I'm on here too often because that's immediately what I thought.

Everything eats chicken .. I'd say fox or Bob cat if it's happening at night .. put up a game camera ..

ohiosteve":3b8l2f40 said:
I did lock them in tonight and set a live trap by the coop with some chicken scraps from dinner. I just can't figure what would drag it that far and not eat it. Sorry about the cougar comment also, I know I'm on here too often because that's immediately what I thought.

I admit, I chuckled when I read it. :wave:

Sounds more like rover if it is just killing and not eating.
Critters kill to eat not just to kill like a dog.
Had a big owl getting my ducks every now and then he would get one that was to big to fly far with.

There's not many animals that won't kill a chicken given tha chance. Are they being killed outside or in the coop?
Dog is always a good bet, I think they kill more chickens than anything else.

Your in Northern Ohio...Raccoons would be my guess and my experience. I raise turkeys and used to raise pheasants. If I don't set traps out in the spring they will clean you out and carry them off to the den. Dead chicken 100 yrds from the coop-This is the classic sign! Then when momma starts taking the babies out teaching them to hunt in a few weeks, your chicken coop will look like a massacre with all your chickens killed.

Follow in the direction away from the coop and towards where you found the dead chicken. It probably leads to a creek or ravine with den trees. Get some dog proof traps and set them up in that area. Bait them with cat food and mini marshmellows. Throw out a couple handful of the marshmellows around the trap.

When I saw the thread and there were already 9 replies, I knew there was no way I would be the first to say Cougar. :lol:

Better for me to remain silent and thought a fool than to postulate this could be guinea hen disguised as a chicken just to fool the cougars

Deepsouth":3qd6wwnp said:
Could be a cougar. If there are no tracks it may very well be a cougar. You should put a game camera out.

If I friend you on book of faces can I see the pics? :D

backhoeboogie":eyrsbguy said:
Better for me to remain silent and thought a fool than to postulate this could be guinea hen disguised as a chicken just to fool the cougars
Might be flying monkies I know they exist seen them on the Wizard of Oz they don't leave tracks either.

I've lost chickens to hawks, but I wouldn't expect one to carry it that far away and then drop it. If you have a game camera, I'd put it out. Good chance whatever it was will come back.

Latest posts