chicken litter

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Okay I tried the search feature but it wasn't helping. Is this chicken litter cheaper, better, worth it etc.? I might be able to get it because there are some huge chicken houses near the farm that we need to fertilize. We have the soil test results but I don't know how to interpret that into chicken litter. Anyone that can help I appreciate it.

Chicken litter is great, we use all we can get/afford. Ours comes from 150 miles away though. UT/Ext should be able to help you on what you need but it has to be tested first. We run one ton a acre but if it's cheep enough and you can run two then it will be real good. Then next soil sample and see where it got you.

There are a lot of variables involved. Is it cheaper? Generally, but how much do they charge. Is that FOB their farm, delivered, or delivered and spread? If you have to haul and spread it gets questionable. If you have to spread it then you need to figure your time and cost for that. But if they have spreader trucks it generally is cheaper.
Is it better? Yes, it is slow release. It doesn't lower your pH like commercial fertilizer does. And it increases your organic matter which is always a good thing. Also if when you compare cost most people will compare to the cost of commercial N,P, and K. With chicken litter you are also getting a bunch of micro nutrients tossed in for free.
For the cost comparison get an analysis on the manure. The results should tell you how many pounds of N, P, and K there is in a ton of manure. Find out the cost per pound for actual N, P, and K for commercial and compare costs.
For example if urea cost $460 a ton then the actual N is costing $0.50. If the chicken litter has 60 pounds of N per ton then the N in a ton of the litter is worth $30.00. Do the same with the P and K.
I get chicken manure (layer) for $9.00 a yard spread. They figure it is 2.2 yards per ton. So it cost me $19.80 a ton. It tests about 70 pounds of N per ton. That is about 28 cents per pound for N. About half the cost of commercial N with all the P and K being free. That is why I say generally it works real well.

http://www.osflo.co.nz/products.html

your analysis may be a little different... I make that 3%N 1%P and about 1.5%K. So bear that in mind if you're comparing 'absolute' cost per nutrient applied.
Aside from that, chicken litter's main advantage is in adding organic matter to the soil + claims are made for more readily available P/slower release nitrogen. I usually see a carryover effect from urea anyway so I don't know that it is much slower release; on a three week grazing rotation the N effect is visible for 6 weeks with either.
Standard maintenance P for my situation is about 35 kg/ha/year. For beef cattle, you'll be less but not much less depending on soil type. If you find out the P requirement for your operation and establish whether your soil tests are already at a good level or need increasing, find out what your locally available fertiliser costs and do your calculations from there. In practise, if you're leasing land you need to work on maintenance applications only unless you have long term security. Increasing the inherent fertility of the land otherwise benefits the farm owner at your cost.

Very good post, I've been looking into the benefit of using chicken litter recently sounds like I need to find some barns in my area.

A pound of N is a pound at 3 to 4% that 3 pounds of N per 100 versus the blend I use that has 21 pounds per 100. I would have to put 700 pounds of chicken litter to a 100 pounds of commercial to get the same N. Commercial has 420 pounds of N per ton , versus 60 pounds per ton.
That's a ton and half per acre of CS plus the herbiciide cost for all the other crap that come's with it.

For the last 3 years it has been much cheaper for me to run commercial. If you have houses in your area it's great, but the trucking is a killer if you don't.

tncattle":34ka3u0i said:
Okay I tried the search feature but it wasn't helping. Is this chicken litter cheaper, better, worth it etc.? I might be able to get it because there are some huge chicken houses near the farm that we need to fertilize. We have the soil test results but I don't know how to interpret that into chicken litter. Anyone that can help I appreciate it.

Check out page 4 of this:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/agr/agr1/agr1.pdf

Some of what we used was tested and came in pretty close to this.

Tn,
I did the breakeven calculation in 2010 based on prices for both at the time. The litter would have to be $68/ton to equal fertilizer. You can get it for 1/2 that.
In reality I don't think litter and commercial fertilizer are comparable based only on N-P-K. The only reason I can think of not to use it is excess phosphate. In your area that IS a problem - check your samples.

I need to track down some good information I have on chicken litter used in trials and compared to other fertilisers for grass growth and cost. The trails were run over about 10 years and the info is easy to use.
One thing I do remember is that it was an expensive source of nitrogen alone but a cheap source of phosphorus in the specific situation of the trial. I think it also showed good results when used in alternative years with urea once phosphorus levels were up where they needed to be.

around here you can get litter spread on your place for $30 a ton or $90 an ac pre year vs $180 an ac pre yr in comm fert.thus you save $90 an acre.all you do is spread 3 tons of litter to an ac once a year.now if your growing winter pasure you might spead another 3 tons to the ac for that.

Using chicken litter you will be applying more P and K than you need. The good news is if we are talking hay ground or pasture it wont be leaving and the grass will use it next year or the year after. There are some parts of the country where they will get testy about P build up in the soil. And if you are working this ground a P build up can be an issue.

The other issue with chicken litter is that you need to plan on losing some of the N. If it is hot and dry and windy you can volitilize off a lot of N. It is best to apply when it is cooler and rainy if possible.

I use chicken litter along with commercial fertilizers. I have chicken litter spread at 3 tons to the acre on hay and 2 tons to the acre on pasture but not every year. I soil test every year and use commercial fertilizer to compensate when needed. I feel that it lowers my fertilizer bill and increases organic matter especially on hay fields. I have started introducing clovers to try and get away from nitrogen fertilizer and farther reduce my fertilizer bill. Chicken litter cost me about 30 a ton spread most years here.

B&M Farms":2nmr95l0 said:
I use chicken litter along with commercial fertilizers. I have chicken litter spread at 3 tons to the acre on hay and 2 tons to the acre on pasture but not every year. I soil test every year and use commercial fertilizer to compensate when needed. I feel that it lowers my fertilizer bill and increases organic matter especially on hay fields. I have started introducing clovers to try and get away from nitrogen fertilizer and farther reduce my fertilizer bill. Chicken litter cost me about 30 a ton spread most years here.

When you do use commercial fertilizer is it mostly Nitrogen and Pottassium?

Latest posts