chianina

Help Support CattleToday:

There are still Fullbloods available for A.I.,you just have to look and ask.They are the old bulls,but still good ones.
I have read some of your posts and I think I will put in my two cents. I guess what bothers me the most is the fact that some people feel the need to run down breeds,when it's obvious that they don't know what they are talking about. There a bunch of beef breeds in this U.S.,and the world, they all work for someone and serve a purpose in the industry.I have had first hand experience with a whole lot of beef breeds,none of them are the beat all end all.I will say that I have never been around a breed that can match Chianina in many economic catagories.Growth,fertility,mothering ability,feed conversion,calving ease,longevity of females,disposition,ability to grade,carcass quality(lean but tender,flavourful) and many others.Are they for every operation-NO. But, Chianina offer alot to the industry and High % cattle offer a great deal more.Fullbloods females do not fit commercial operations in the U.S.,however % females and Fullblood bulls can offer a great deal.
Not trying to offend anyone,just trying to set the record straight.

htrc":opc1knti said:
There are still Fullbloods available for A.I.,you just have to look and ask.They are the old bulls,but still good ones.
I have read some of your posts and I think I will put in my two cents. I guess what bothers me the most is the fact that some people feel the need to run down breeds,when it's obvious that they don't know what they are talking about. There a bunch of beef breeds in this U.S.,and the world, they all work for someone and serve a purpose in the industry.I have had first hand experience with a whole lot of beef breeds,none of them are the beat all end all.I will say that I have never been around a breed that can match Chianina in many economic catagories.Growth,fertility,mothering ability,feed conversion,calving ease,longevity of females,disposition,ability to grade,carcass quality(lean but tender,flavourful) and many others.Are they for every operation-NO. But, Chianina offer alot to the industry and High % cattle offer a great deal more.Fullbloods females do not fit commercial operations in the U.S.,however % females and Fullblood bulls can offer a great deal.
Not trying to offend anyone,just trying to set the record straight.

do you honestly feel that a 1% Chi animal should be registerable? We have an AI bull out of a Mailman cow. She was 16% and we didn't register him. The Chi assn called us and told us they would pay for the registration cost on the bull so people could register progeny out of the bull. Most of the progeny would then be 4% Chi. What is the breed standard? $$$ wherever they can get it. Same with Shorthorn, Maines, Simmi. In the Iowa Junior Beef Breeds Assn. they add all these glorified crossbred breed classes: Mainetainer, Char Composite, LimFlex, Foundation Simmi, Balancer, Appendix SH, and I think they are adding more next year. It's all about $$$$

I think it should be 25% or greater before animals are registered. All the cattle I breed are 1/2 blood or higher. I have gotten the best production,both male and female with my 3/4 blood chi cattle.My kids have a whole wall full of grand and reserve Crossbred and Chianina awards from the past couple of years. Higher percentage/Fullbloods can be a valuable asset to todays cattle industry.It is up to the breeders to breed the cattle that are needed.Some people have chosen to accomplish this by diluting the genetics.Some are trying reach this goal with a high percentage animal.I don't know who is right.I think people have went to an extreme with the cattle we have today. There is a happy med. between "ground sows" of today and the"all legs" movement of the 80's. The cattle today are in a great need of new direction.

htrc, I think 25% would be great, but there is no way that it would happen. The ACA would fall apart. The old min was 12.5% and I think that would be ideal, but also wouldn't work. The minute percentages have gone too far. I believe that the highest min % that could and should be instituteed will be. 6.25%

I think the ACA could take it. When I started breeding Chi cattle 25% was the minimum. Then they said females a 12.5% or more could be registered.I think that would work again.I feel it is within reach,may not be easy.I feel like breeders are digging a hole and it will be difficult,but not impossible,to crawl out of it. Efficient production & performance has taken a back seat to making a calf's chest drag the ground and making replacement heifers look like steers.

htrc":3byhovt8 said:
I think the ACA could take it. When I started breeding Chi cattle 25% was the minimum. Then they said females a 12.5% or more could be registered.I think that would work again.I feel it is within reach,may not be easy.I feel like breeders are digging a hole and it will be difficult,but not impossible,to crawl out of it. Efficient production & performance has taken a back seat to making a calf's chest drag the ground and making replacement heifers look like steers.
I agree with you. I've always been in favor of a min %. The ACA is becoming equivalent to the American ClubCattle Assoc. and it saddens me because we've come so far. But I think we have dug the pit too deep to go straight to 25% as a min.

I agree,I think we could breed Fullblood Chianina that would be more appealing to cattleman in the U.S.. On the same note Chiangus cattle are cattle that not only appeal but are some of the most productive cattle being bred. When I refer to Chiangus I thinnk of an animal that is 25% Chi or greater. I have bred many multi-generation 1/2 bloods. They are very consistent and predictable. Chiangus is a breed in my opinion and offer cattlemen a great deal of economic advantages. Fullblood Chianina are the most remarkable cattle and are a valuble resorce which is going untapped for the most part at this time. I think if breeders keep working and hang in there, they will be rewarded in the future.

harrisonshowgurl":1epoa8ec said:
Does anyone know where I could get a purebred or very high % chi. I have some low % but if I could I would like some purebred. Thanks

Where do you live?
I know several people who raise Fullblood Chiaina and I raise them myself.

Walter Mize is in Texas but I will warn you they have a small herd and are in the rebuilding stage and they are expensive but they are good animals

Just out of curiosity, why don't one of you buy a flush from someone (Italian, US, whoever) and get some new full-blood genetics introduced? You seem to have found a hole, or niche, in the market that you could capitalize on.