Chi Influence Tops Beef Empire Days

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
CHI GENETICS ONCE AGAIN DOMINATE BEEF EMPIRE DAYS

Chi-influenced cattle once again dominated the Beef Empire Days contest in Garden City, Kan., June 1-3, 2006. In the steer carcass contest, 7 of the top 21, including 5 of the top 10 and the Champion and Reserve Champion steers included Chi genetics. The Overall Steer Champion honor, based on placings in both the live and carcass contests, was awarded to a Chi-bred steer raised by Hildreth Livestock of Dillon, Mont. This steer was fed at Decatur County Feedyards in Oberlin, Kan. Ralph Danner, Muscatine, Iowa, bred, raised and exhibited the Grand and Reserve Grand Champion steers in the carcass division and Dennis Clarahan, Harper, Iowa, bred, raised, fed and exhibited the 5th place steer. Decatur County Feedyard fed out Danner's Champion steer while the Reserve was fed at Danner's Iowa farm feedlot.
Nearly 300 head of the finest cattle from many areas of the county, but primarily from Kansas feed yards, were evaluated on foot and as product hanging in carcass form. Specifications are built around ideals of .28-.31 inches of backfat, a 13-16 inch REA and an average Choice or better quality grade, along with other measures. Considering the intense competition and selection from literally many thousands of candidates, it is worthy to mention that knowledge of genetics to hit targets is the surest way to hit the ideal carcass and live animal specifications.

Beef Empire Days is a highly prestigious and well-organized beef extravaganza in Garden City, Kan. With approximately 1 million head of cattle fed in the Garden City area and many harvested in area packing plants, a "real world" contest was conceived by area business people to help increase the value and visibility of live market cattle and the carcasses harvested from them. Over $20,000 in prize money, split between the live placings and carcass placings, is awarded each year. The contest was sponsored by area businesses and Schering Plough Animal Health Corp.

The key (Chi) word in this announcement is INFLUENCE. Odds are, there was a greater influence of Maine-Anjou and Angus in those steers than Chi.

AAOK":3n9jb1lh said:
The key (Chi) word in this announcement is INFLUENCE. Odds are, there was a greater influence of Maine-Anjou and Angus in those steers than Chi.

The 7 of the top 21 and the top overall were at least 1/2 Chi, from what I was told. There were a few with even a higher percentage.

I'm sure this little piece was put together by the Chi registry but still impressive, with so few good Chi genetics, industry wide. (That I know of)

If the calves were mostly Angus, I'm betting the AAA would have jumped all over a claim in the outcome. :lol: :lol: :lol:

whoa, now we don't want to make those Angus guys upset now. I mean we all know how one year you have shortlegged angus at the shows and the next year they are tall and big framed. hey but they were 100% angus. hahahahhahahahaha

I'm sure this little piece was put together by the Chi registry but still impressive, with so few good Chi genetics, industry wide. (That I know of)

There are plenty of great Chi bulls out there. Atr least 1/2 of the club calf bulls in my semex catalog were Chi influenced. I understand that this doesn't make them good, but somebody must like them.....

If you want to see some awesome Chi genetics come to our Jr. Nationals next July. It's in Bowling Green KY

AAOK":23j49k5d said:

AAOK, I urge you to visit a Chi breeder in you area and see the strides the breed has made. The ACA's website ( http://www.chicattle.org ) has alot of articles on the subject with pictures of some really good cattle. This is not the first year Chi's dominated the Beef Empire Days, in fact the last several years, Chi Influenced cattle have also dominated the National Western Fed Beef Contest.

Latest posts