chewing tobaccer

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
Judge Sharpe reminded me of a little story. Although it led to addiction I will share it. Kids don't try this at home.

My earliest recollection of my Big Daddy was his overalls and the front pocket full of swisher cigars. I remember him smoking but mainly chewed them. My mawmaw smoked kool cigarettes. As I got older I would sneak a cigar and a cigarette to smoke when I was left alone to clean out the farrowing house. When I was about 15 someone had a can of skoal at baseball practice it made me drunk as a skunk. I thought it would be cool to chew tobacco cause all the ball players did it. One day coming home from practice I had my ride stop at the store and I bought a plug of bull of the woods. (I don't know why I picked it)
I bit me a chew off and got me a spit cup and we headed home. I was grown in my eyes. When I got home I went under the barn to help my dad do something and he noticed me spit. Which was about every 2 seconds. He inquired as to what I had in my mouth . I proudly told him chewing tobacco. I pulled out the plug and he asked to see it. He then unwrapped it and told me to put it all in my mouth. As I did what I was told he took off his belt and said I was to swallow my spit and if I spit he would hit me with the belt. Me being a man I just knew I would show him and swallowed every drop of juice. As I chewed it seemed as if the plug was swelling so I decided to just hold it in my jaw until he would give up and go inside. I don't know if you know this or not but a plug of baccer with produce about 10 gallons of spit. I kept swallowing. All of a sudden I started sweating and just knew I was a light shade of green. I don't know if you know that 10gallons of spit will produce 20 gallons of vomit. I puked and puked and all I remember is my dad going in the house. I figured he had made his point and after I finished puking I went in and he explained to me what I was and wasn't gonna do. I still hadn't overed the baccer but my rearend took my mind off of it. I learned a lesson for about a week until at practice one day a guy had some Copenhagen and you could dip it and most folks wouldn't know everyone that tried it started puking but I guess I was immune. I just made sure dad never saw me with tobacco until I was really grown.

Just 2 months ago dead eye had one of his older friends buy him a can of Copenhagen. We found out real quick like and acted like it was no big deal. But if he was to be a man he had to replace that wad every 15 minutes until the can was gone. About 2/3 of the can was gone before he said he didn't want to dip anymore. He was laying on the couch like a slug about as green as I've ever seen him.
As far as I know, he hasn't had the inkling for it since.

Interesting story M5Farm, and a common way to teach and learn a lesson back then, tho if the wrong people found it happened today, CPS would probably be called. I learned mine on my own--first time I tried chewing tobacco was on a trail ride when I was about 13-14. We rode by a little country store, stopped for snacks and I got an older friend to get me a block of Brown Mule. By the time we'd rode 2 miles, I was puking my guts up and really wanted off that horse, but walking wan't no better. Tried it several times since, with the same results.
My old granny dipped snuff--Rooster or W E Garrett and all our small drinking glasses were old snuff jars--Garrett I think. Bigger ones were jelly jars.

My buddy and I tried skoal bandits one time at about thirteen at the woodlake rodeo. We were working the stripping chutes and thought we were tough shyt and everyone else that was tough shyt had a chew in their mouth.
About six months later my cousin gave me a fat wad of copenhagen at a roping twenty minutes before his wife decided that I needed to go home as it was a school night. It took thirty minutes to get home and she talked and talked and talked and I nodded and nodded and nodded my head and swallowed down the puke. :oops:
I can take it or leave it now(and quit altogether for about ten years) unless there is golden blend red man around... that stuff I can't stay away from. I think the memories that come with it are half the addiction.

highgrit":snhxfiuq said:
I haven't chewed in 23 years, but when I see someone with a chew I still want one.

I don't currently chew, but over the years, I've probably tried every tobacco available. Several years ago, I used a big plug called Black Maria; it was similar to one called Cannonball. It was three times larger than the average plug. I haven't seen it in a while. My favorites over the years were Red Man, Skoal, and Mammoth Cave twist.

Hmm. I think I want a chew.

highgrit":1g7hhgu1 said:
I haven't chewed in 23 years, but when I see someone with a chew I still want one.

Same here. I quit 15 years ago and everytime I smell Skoal I want it more than air. I doubt I will ever trust myself with that crap again.

My paw paw and my daddy were chewing men. So I sort of always knew that one day I would be to. When I was about 13 I tried it for the first time. I worked on farms during the summer. So when school got out for summer I would go buy a pair of cheap boots and some chewing tobacco. All summer I'd wear those boots and chew that tobacco. When school would start I'd go back to tennis shoes and put down the tobacco until the next summer. When I was working I'd chew it all day but never got hooked on it. I chewed it until I got engaged to be married and haven't touched it since.

DS, when I was in high school, we had a guy transfer in from S. La. He wore some ugly looking tall leather boots--not western style cowboy boots tho--and would chew--in class, and spit down into his boot top. He squished when he walked at the end of the day.

herofan":3bqys4nz said:
I don't currently chew, but over the years, I've probably tried every tobacco available. Several years ago, I used a big plug called Black Maria; it was similar to one called Cannonball. It was three times larger than the average plug. I haven't seen it in a while. My favorites over the years were Red Man, Skoal, and Mammoth Cave twist.

Hmm. I think I want a chew.

Me, too.

My first chew was "bummed" from a guy workign with me.. "Days Work" plus tobacco. Pretty strong but finally got use to it. Finally got stuck on Cannonball...loved the stuff but awfully sweet and tempted to swallow but knew better. Gave it up long ago as it got to where it gave me heartburn just about everytime I took a chew. Only tried the snuff a couple of times....once was Sweet Garrett's old dry snuff....about killed me. Another time was a dip of Skoal. Wasn't bad but just didn't do much for me other than burn my lip. Haven't had a cig now since Jan. 2 and already feeling better. That said, I could smoke one right now at least a foot long. :lol2:

oh the memories of chewing tobbacco dipping snuff and chewing cigars.i did it all for 20yrs.i started out on tobbacco 1st.tryed skoal couldnt stand that crapp.my dad made the misstake of trying to break me from chewing.threw me his can of copenhagen so i got a dipp that would choke a mule.calmly sat talked and spitt as needed.i could swallow tobbacco juice if needed.could swallow some snuff juice as well.dipped a can or a plugg or pack a day for over 20yrs.then quit it cold turkey 12yrs ago.i could go 20- mins or longer with out spitting if need be.

I like all leaf tobacco but only chew a couple of times a year for one reason or another. Had some peach flavored Star not to long ago. I do like to spit and slobber with that stuff but have never done it enough to form a habit. Never could chew Skoal or Cope, I'd get sick everytime.

TexasBred":2x19p6uu said:
My first chew was "bummed" from a guy workign with me.. "Days Work" plus tobacco. Pretty strong but finally got use to it. Finally got stuck on Cannonball...loved the stuff but awfully sweet and tempted to swallow but knew better. Gave it up long ago as it got to where it gave me heartburn just about everytime I took a chew. Only tried the snuff a couple of times....once was Sweet Garrett's old dry snuff....about killed me. Another time was a dip of Skoal. Wasn't bad but just didn't do much for me other than burn my lip. Haven't had a cig now since Jan. 2 and already feeling better. That said, I could smoke one right now at least a foot long. :lol2:

images

M5farm":2h7slul9 said:
TexasBred":2h7slul9 said:

images

You ain't right!

I generally buy a pouch of Beechnut during elk season. I spit and slobber that stuff all over the hills while hunting for a week but that is it. No more until next elk season. I have an uncle who pitched in the big leagues. I bet he chewed a lot back then. He doesn't chew anymore I am pretty sure his wife doesn't let him chew. When he was still young enough to go elk hunting he would mooch about half of my pouch.

I started chewing back when I was about 13. Being a young girl who wanted to grow up to be a cowboy (not a boy....just a cowboy) I wanted to be treated the same as all the cowboys working for my grandpa so they would offer me Skoal all the time and I sure didn't want to back down or spit, because then you weren't a real "cowboy".
I guess I showed them...because now I'm stuck on Copenhagen. Dang it...

A.Lane":144bc11z said:
I started chewing back when I was about 13. Being a young girl who wanted to grow up to be a cowboy (not a boy....just a cowboy) I wanted to be treated the same as all the cowboys working for my grandpa so they would offer me Skoal all the time and I sure didn't want to back down or spit, because then you weren't a real "cowboy".
I guess I showed them...because now I'm stuck on Copenhagen. Dang it...

Yep, I dated a girl that dipped one time, She was purty. Might have married her if she hadn't of kept stealin my snuff. Just couldn't trust her.

M5farm,

That's funny....I had a guy tell me once he would never date any woman who chewed ....I told him that was a s****y anti drug campaign.

Latest posts