Cherokee Canyon

Help Support CattleToday:

UG

Reaction score
Several years ago Cherokee Canyon was the hottest bull in the Red Angus breed. However his popularity seemed to drop more quickly than many other bulls. I recall that his maternal calving ease EPD dropped signficantly over time and I assumed that was part of the reason for the loss in popularity.

What was your experience with the Cherokee Canyon progeny?

The reason for the question is that when he was a young bull I purchased some semen on CC and had all bull calves that were cut for steers. I still have a few straws of CC in the tank and am curious if I should use it or throw it out.

UG":1af7jip0 said:
Several years ago Cherokee Canyon was the hottest bull in the Red Angus breed. However his popularity seemed to drop more quickly than many other bulls. I recall that his maternal calving ease EPD dropped signficantly over time and I assumed that was part of the reason for the loss in popularity.

The reason for the question is that when he was a young bull I purchased some semen on CC and had all bull calves that were cut for steers. I still have a few straws of CC in the tank and am curious if I should use it or throw it out.
Use it knowing that the offspring will do pretty win the feedlot. We use it on commercial cows and don;t keep any heifers. One thing he will do is add tremendous vigor at birth to his calves.

UG":17zpdeh4 said:

He is behind a ton of good bulls. Seems like he needs to be a couple of generations removed but he is prepotent. Don't throw it out. I may know a fella who would take it off your hands.

Our experience was the calves were coarser made, tight in the heart, and broke behind the shoulder - I believe we only kept 1 bull and 1 heifer out of him. But... we have several females that trace back to him that are excellent cows.

You could put it on redangus.org - stockyards and probably get a good price for it if you decide not to use it. I have 2 cows from him and are good enough, had some bulls that were bottom 1/3 in our herd. I don't love him, but he has his place.

Yea, I guess I mistyped when I mentioned throwing it out. There are a couple Red Angus breeders that have showed interest in it if I decide not to use it, so if I don't use it I'll take the easy way out and sell it to one of them.

daughter have a cc son in the carcass contest at 4-h fair , he smoked every other carcass . if your going to use him make sure the cow has a good set to her legs.

Latest posts