Cherokee Canyon

Help Support CattleToday:

ABrauny

Reaction score
I've heard some criticism of the Red Angus sire Cherokee Canyon as far as his daughters go. My question is why? I see his calving ease maternal epd is crap, so is the issue that his daughters just don't calve well or is there more to it? I ask because I have some interest in using his son Gravity(in stud at ABS) on some cows next year.

He is the poster boy for creating daughters with very small pelvic openings. If you use his son make sure you do a pelvix measurement on any of his daughters at yearling to insure they are a very minimum of 140. We used a grandson of CC and out of a cow who's daughters were all in the 150 and up range as yearlings this daughter is 130. All of his other daughters barely made the 140

Willow Springs":26tf6oad said:
Have heard also that feet and udders are sub-par. No first hand experience, but have heard this from sourecs I know and respect.
Don;t know about feet, his sons and grandsons we've had have been ok. Never ept a female so don;t know about udders. Next year we'll see how his grandsons daughters look
I don;t recall for sure but I may have aske Kyle Gilchrist about him, don;t remember what he said. Somebody asked me so I checked with Kyle since he sees thoudands of RA every year.

dun":zcezxaix said:
Willow Springs":zcezxaix said:
Have heard also that feet and udders are sub-par. No first hand experience, but have heard this from sourecs I know and respect.
Don;t know about feet, his sons and grandsons we've had have been ok. Never ept a female so don;t know about udders. Next year we'll see how his grandsons daughters look
I don;t recall for sure but I may have aske Kyle Gilchrist about him, don;t remember what he said. Somebody asked me so I checked with Kyle since he sees thoudands of RA every year.
Kyle does auctions, right?

ABrauny":1zdpzhkw said:
dun":1zdpzhkw said:
Willow Springs":1zdpzhkw said:
Kyle does auctions, right?
Correct, he's been with the Red Angus breed for years, started showing as a junior
http://www.redcows.net/

I looked up LCC Gravity on the ASA website and his numbers are average, but with low API and TI.

He is an average Red Angus. I have been working on some SimmAngus using Red Angus and getting better growth numbers while maintaining better carcass merits from select Red Angus Sires like Brown Commitment.

Better growth numbers or better growth?

I'm a numbers man but I cringe every time I hear you talk about selection with regards to what the future calf's numbers would be.

JustSimmental I'm looking to see if he would be alright for producing females, not as a terminal sire although obviously bull calves would end up being slaughtered. I doubt it, but I'm going to look at some daughters of his tomorrow. I think part of his growth epds being average might have to do with his mid 4 frame score but maybe I'm just missing something.

ABrauny":37arw73w said:
JustSimmental I'm looking to see if he would be alright for producing females, not as a terminal sire although obviously bull calves would end up being slaughtered. I doubt it, but I'm going to look at some daughters of his tomorrow. I think part of his growth epds being average might have to do with his mid 4 frame score but maybe I'm just missing something.
Have the pelvis measured on his daughters!

dun":37k1nb83 said:
Have the pelvis measured on his daughters!
Dun I can assure you I won't buy any Gravity daughters without having the pelvis measured or obtaining the pelvic measurements.

Latest posts