Cherokee Wauka Chooch

Help Support CattleToday:

warpaint":1l8aowh5 said:
Well, I guess I'll jump in and get my feet wet.

To try and impove your cattle or any other aspect of life is commendable. To do so to the detriment of the breed however is not.
I completely agree. I guess different people have different opinions on what is detrimental to the breed.

The horn, in my opinion is and always will be a selling factor for our breed. Hence the Showcase sale, where awards are given to animals with tip to tip and total horn.

The horns are a selling point, definantly. But they are not the only selling point. And that is what makes this breed intriguing to so many people. I know people that raise longhorns and have so many different avenues of selling them from beef, to "pretty pets", to show stock, to horn stock, to riding steers, to tax write offs, to just about anything you could think of.

Ryan

My turn, my turn, if I may. I was raised with the longhorn breed around me in Texas. When we moved here to Tennessee I took a lot of that love with me. Most people are scared of longhorns because they don't know them. People here are only familiar with angus Braha, jersey, and so on.... You only know what you work with. Only problem is the honest truth is people are scared of the longhorns, not the cattle. They are sweet and loving animals. Just big dogs with horns.

I too, get angry when we get an angus or likewise judge can't say beef judge because they are all beef, just not well schooled in Longhorns. That is our problem as breeders, unfortunatley it is hard to find enough qualified judges that want to judge our cattle. They are out there but we don't help ourselves either. You big bodied beef judges for the other breeds then we need only longhorn judges or schooled in longhorns to judge us.

It is all up to us where our breed goes and only us. We must do for our own to keep them in minds eye. It is time to find a beef market for them we all know people want leaner beef and we definately know no one wants co2 in their meet so you tell me how and maybe we can all come together to fix this problem. If we want change then it is up to us to make sure the shows we attend use knowledgeable judges. We can only help ourselves by helping each other.

I do love my cows though, and would dare anybody to put theres up against any in our breed with an even keel judge.
Remember cows are like people they are not all fat just because they look that way. Kind of like having the military body fat test too bad we can't do that to cows. Then we could get an even cattle show for all.

I will get off my SOAPBOX now, Sorry! Just love the BREED!

WagaAgeyv,
I think finding good judges for our shows is extremely important. In my experiences I have come to the conclusion that the judges that do the best usually are the judges that have experience judging many many breeds. Judges that have judged everything from angus, to hereford, to charolais, to santa gertrudis, to longhorns. These judges tend to pick the best overall animals, as a complete package. I have noticed that judges who usually breed and judge only one or a few breeds have a tendency to get caught up on one or two characteristics, and begin to place emphasis on one trait instead of the entire animal. Longhorn breeders could be some of the best at that. I've seen longhorn breeders as judges pick solely on the cleanliness of the animals (sheath and skin under the neck), I saw one breeder judge pick solely on horn and color, and by color I mean if it was black and white it was at the bottom and if it was brindle it was at the top. This judge flat out said he did not like black and white animals and would have a very hard time placing them high. I think breeder judges can get hung up on little details and forget the bigger picture, of the total animal.

I have been to many many many shows over the years and these are just a couple things I have noticed. Just my 2cents on judges.

Ryan

I agree some of the breeder judges do get hung up on what they like that is why if you choose a judge you can only hope he will leave his personal opinion out of it. Its just like your children you have do do what is best for all not just one. Look at the big picture. Then make a better judgement.

WagaAgeyv":1l4zt2nz said:
I agree some of the breeder judges do get hung up on what they like that is why if you choose a judge you can only hope he will leave his personal opinion out of it. Its just like your children you have do do what is best for all not just one. Look at the big picture. Then make a better judgement.

Exactly

Latest posts